What To Do About A Car In Bariloche For 1-2 Years?

jesbostonma

Registered
Hello! I am new to the forum. My husband, two young daughters and I are planning a move to Bariloche this December. We plan to stay at least one year, and maybe two. We are trying to work through the many bureaucratic difficulties of this transition. A big open question is what to do about a car. Obviously we want to be able to cross the Chilean border. So much to see on both sides of the border down there. So:

Is it still the case that a foreigner who owns an Argentine-registered car cannot leave Argentina? This is absolutely unacceptable to us. We would not buy a car in Argentina if this is still the case.

Should we buy a car in Chile, then, since Bariloche is so close to the border? Pros and cons?

Should we try instead to rent a car for a long term from an agency? From an individual? What are the pros and cons of that?

We also looked into shipping our car to Argentina or Chile, but this seems incredibly complicated as well. And it appears we could not sell it in either country at the end of our stay. We wouldn't want to pay to ship it back, and wouldn't want to lose it, either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! The complexity of this issue is incredibly daunting. A car is absolutely required for the life we want to lead in Bariloche.

Jessica
Somerville, MA (but headed to Bariloche in December!)

Shipping your own car into Chile is not complicated. I have acquaintance done this. No tax to pay for overlanding through lat Am, Chile
will give you three months privileage to use your overlanding vehicle whilst in Chile. Also can sell your used vehicle there in Paraguay for
Dollar being told but your mileage may vary. The vehicle of preference in Paraguay is the 4x4 double cab truck, I.E. Toyota Tacoma and manual trans, but heard the Auto trans OK too. But, the resident expat here have sold his US registered vehicle to a car yard/dealer.Ask
"Ghost" about how to...

Thanks, Hybrid Ambassador. It's easy to ship the car into Chile, but is keeping the US registered car in Argentina a problem? We wouldn't want to register it in Argentina (if that's even possible) if it meant we wouldn't be able to take it from Argentina afterward.

Also, Paraguay is very far to go just to sell the car at the end of our time. From Bariloche with two young kids, it seems too much ... Would we have any hope to sell it in Chile or Argentina?

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]>>> Is it still the case that a foreigner who owns an Argentine-registered car cannot leave Argentina?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]It sounds strange to me, as I am a foreigner who has owned various vehicles in Argentina and have driven to Chile, Bolivia, Brazil and Uruguay (just 1 month ago) and I've never had a problem. Perhaps there are different laws for permanent residents, temporary residents and foreign citizens, although you haven't been specific about this. What's your source?[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]

Hi Markgeezer,

Thanks for your response. I've read on multiple sites (none official), including this forum in another thread (http://baexpats.org/topic/25468-buying-car-as-non-resident-turist/), that someone who is a non-resident cannot take an Argentina-registered car over the border out of Argentina, because it's a "vehiculo nacional." (But they say a rented car is okay for this for a nonresident.) It was said that only someone who is a citizen or permanent resident can take a car they own out. In any event, we will only have a tourist visa, so the question would be, can we register a car at all in Argentina? And, if so, can we freely drive it back and forth to Chile from Argentina?

If you are a nonresident, then your experience is certainly encouraging.

Hi Markgeezer,

Thanks for your response. I've read on multiple sites (none official), including this forum in another thread (http://baexpats.org/...esident-turist/), that someone who is a non-resident cannot take an Argentina-registered car over the border out of Argentina, because it's a "vehiculo nacional." (But they say a rented car is okay for this for a nonresident.) It was said that only someone who is a citizen or permanent resident can take a car they own out. In any event, we will only have a tourist visa, so the question would be, can we register a car at all in Argentina? And, if so, can we freely drive it back and forth to Chile from Argentina?

According to Markgeezer you should have no problem!!! ?

Hi Markgeezer,

Thanks for your response. I've read on multiple sites (none official), including this forum in another thread (http://baexpats.org/...esident-turist/), that someone who is a non-resident cannot take an Argentina-registered car over the border out of Argentina, because it's a "vehiculo nacional." (But they say a rented car is okay for this for a nonresident.) It was said that only someone who is a citizen or permanent resident can take a car they own out. In any event, we will only have a tourist visa, so the question would be, can we register a car at all in Argentina? And, if so, can we freely drive it back and forth to Chile from Argentina?

Ah... there you go. You didn't mention that you are/ will be a non-resident living in Argentina in your first post.. just that you are a foreigner. I am a resident, and a foreigner. Perhaps long term vehicle hire may be your best option then.

Thanks, Hybrid Ambassador. It's easy to ship the car into Chile, but is keeping the US registered car in Argentina a problem? We wouldn't want to register it in Argentina (if that's even possible) if it meant we wouldn't be able to take it from Argentina afterward.

Also, Paraguay is very far to go just to sell the car at the end of our time. From Bariloche with two young kids, it seems too much ... Would we have any hope to sell it in Chile or Argentina?
Us registered and "used vehicle" can not be sold legally in Chile, unless you pass the bucket to another "overlanding foreign tourist" But being told by "ghost" at this forum, it is possble to sell your US registered vehicle there in Argentina. I think Rich One said
in the past that Argentine registered vehicle can not be driven out by a foreign tourist but an Argentine can drive it out of country with permission of vehicle's legal owner..

I'd buy a car to use in Bariloche and on those occasions when you need to go over to Chile rent a vehicle just for those days.

Back