What To Do About A Car In Bariloche For 1-2 Years?

Us registered and "used vehicle" can not be sold legally in Chile, unless you pass the bucket to another "overlanding foreign tourist" But being told by "ghost" at this forum, it is possble to sell your US registered vehicle there in Argentina. I think Rich One said
in the past that Argentine registered vehicle can not be driven out by a foreign tourist but an Argentine can drive it out of country with permission of vehicle's legal owner..
email.png

To make ir clear== to drive an Argentine car out of the country you must be a permanent resident or a citizen and own the car or have notarized authorization from legal owner.

To sell a foreign car in Argentina you must first nationalize the car Obtain Argentine Plates, by paying the custom duties that can amount to 80 % of the Blue book value,

To make ir clear== to drive an Argentine car out of the country you must be a permanent resident or a citizen and own the car or have notarized authorization from legal owner.

To sell a foreign car in Argentina you must first nationalize the car Obtain Argentine Plates, by paying the custom duties that can amount to 80 % of the Blue book value,
80% of which KBB value, US ones or is there another BB for Argentina? So the Lexus GS ghost sold there in Bs As had first be nationalised then sell to a car yard? I understood ghost just sold it off to a used car yard/dealer? But anyhow, 80% tax is pretty high
but I guess there in Argentina they need to collect taxes.!

80% of which KBB value, US ones or is there another BB for Argentina? So the Lexus GS ghost sold there in Bs As had first be nationalised then sell to a car yard? I understood ghost just sold it off to a used car yard/dealer? But anyhow, 80% tax is pretty high
but I guess there in Argentina they need to collect taxes.!

Refers to the USA Blue Book , Once with Argentine plates can be sold to anyone,,,!

Refers to the USA Blue Book , Once with Argentine plates can be sold to anyone,,,!
OK, but still waiting for "ghost" to come in and comment on his Lexus GS he sold to a used car dealer/yard operator.
So if Iam to embark in overlanding partially from let say,US to Chile by boat thenChile~Argentina by land and once in Argentina
decide to register my vehicle to nationalise it then supposedly my BB valued let say at US$20k second hand vehicle then I have to forkout the 80% tax add-on in pesos or in US Dollars?

OK, but still waiting for "ghost" to come in and comment on his Lexus GS he sold to a used car dealer/yard operator.
So if Iam to embark in overlanding partially from let say,US to Chile by boat thenChile~Argentina by land and once in Argentina
decide to register my vehicle to nationalise it then supposedly my BB valued let say at US$20k second hand vehicle then I have to forkout the 80% tax add-on in pesos or in US Dollars?

80 % of the dollar value payable in pesos at official rate

80 % of the dollar value payable in pesos at official rate
In Pesos..Hmm much better and another question: BB has two values, the _low & the _high, which ones, perhaps assesed
value right in the middle? Ho,ho,hoo optimistically thinking...

In Pesos..Hmm much better and another question: BB has two values, the _low & the _high, which ones, perhaps assesed
value right in the middle? Ho,ho,hoo optimistically thinking...

These are just estimates and need to be discussed with customs AT that moment in time , conditions vary all the time.

Renting just for trips out of Argentina is an option, but feels a bit crazy if we already have a car we are then leaving behind on trips (this is for the buy a car in Bariloche, but rent to go into Chile scenario). We will look into it, though, as it could still be the best option.

What if a car is purchased and registered in Chile as a nonresident? I've read conflicting information about whether the nonresident owner of a car with Chilean plates can drive the car out of Chile. Chile is so close ...

Also, if we did decide to ship our car and maybe just ship it out at the end, would we be okay driving it around AR an Chile with U.S. plates? Is there a law requiring registration of a foreign car, and if so, does it apply to a nonresident tourist? (We'll be leaving every 180 or 90 days, as required.)

Thanks again for all of your thoughts! We are completely new to all of this.

If you buy a car in chile you have to go back there every three months not to get in trouble.

Another option is to have a "friend" with residence or citizenship buy the car and give you the rights to drive it, both in Argentina and over the border. Not a very nice prospect for you or the friend unless you trust each other explicitly.

If I come across any other alternative I'll let you know.

Back