What We Like About Argentina

internationalguy

Registered
Because there have been so many negativity threads recently, which has elicited some of the Argentine members to feel offended, and because it's only healthy to also think about the good things, let's talk about the things we DO like about this very special country we live in (even if only temporarily). I complain a lot too but the thing is, either we're all masochists, or there's something about Argentina. Very few people are really stuck here. Most are choosing to be here and that's only because there are good things. Let's hear it.

I like living in a city that's probably in the top 5 nicest cities in the Americas.

I'm a night owl. I like being able to take late night walks and see the city full of life. This would only happen maybe in NY, or Las Vegas.I truly like it.

Most people are very friendly. Unless the annoying things overpower this (which is rare), I'm normally glad to be in contact with so many nice people (and Buenos Aires is said to have the least friendly people in Argentina).

Being able to walk everywhere. Being able to have everything delivered, which makes foregoing a car that much easier.

1. I like to live in a place the city is that green in a genuine way (and not the fake West Palm way)
  2. I like it here because I like that there is a unique blend of Europeans (let's forget of the indios for a moment)
  3. I like to imagine the first colonists who arrived here with very little and had a new land to discover and cities to build
  4. I like to watch at the oldest buldings of the 1800's and imagine how was Buenos Aires 100 years ago to those who arrived here from so far and had the city to shape
  5. I like that there are so many places where you can have a cheap meal just for the sake of hanging out with friends (a thing I could no longer afford in Italy)
  6. I like the limited choice of vegetables and fruit which are just the seasonal ones, and not incredibly red strawberries 365 days a year like at Publix
  7. I like that taking a public mean of transport is very convenient compared to owning a private car (in Italy, if you travel in at least 2, it is cheaper to go by car)
  8. I like to live in a country where I am not overcontrolled by mean of interconnected databases and cams and the like.
  9. I like to live in a place where there are very little (recent) immigrants from the third world who cannot seem to integrate with the society
  10. I like to live in a country where I don't have to pass a metal detector every time I enter a public office, like you have to in the US
  11. I like that people here give you a genuine smile and a say a nice line not because they are instructed to by the management and fear customer complains
  12. I like that here you queue to get on a bus or a train, in a such disciplined manner that I would never expect to find in Latin America
  13. I like that the people here are not obsessed with being tanned and skinny and wearing branded clothes, nor about parading their asses/titties at every chance they get (I imagined LatinoAmericans as J.Lo and Nicky Minaj, sorry - it pleased by their simplicity and lack of taste by the fashion standards)
I think 13 is enough for a while. Enjoy.

• I like to live in a place the city is that green in a genuine way (and not the fake West Palm way)
  • I like that there are so many places where you can have a cheap meal just for the sake of hanging out with friends (a thing I could no longer afford in Italy)
  • I like that taking a public mean of transport is very convenient compared to owning a private car (in Italy, if you travel in at least 2, it is cheaper to go by car)
  • I like to live in a country where I am not overcontrolled by mean of interconnected databases and cams and the like.
  • I like to live in a place where there are very little (recent) immigrants from the third world who cannot seem to integrate with the society
  • I like that people here give you a genuine smile and a say a nice line not because they are instructed to by the management and fear customer complains
  • I like that here you queue to get on a bus or a train, in a such disciplined manner that I would never expect to find in Latin America
  • I like that the people here are not obsessed with being tanned and skinny and wearing branded clothes, nor about parading their asses/titties at every chance they get (I imagined LatinoAmericans as J.Lo and Nicky Minaj, sorry - it pleased by their simplicity and lack of taste by the fashion standards)

what country do you live in?

I'm sure everyone knows that this b*tching is not unique to foreigners living in Argentina. I lived in Japan and all the foreigners would get together to complain about crazy Japan and the crazy Japanese - and half of my old Japan-era friends are still living there. This was posted on a friend's facebook page just this week:

It's the nature of expats everywhere to bitch. In Ecuador I knew I could immediately bond with a foreigner by griping about the crazy obsession of Ecuadorians with car alarms... and their total inability to open their car without activating it...

It's the way expats bond.... by bitching....

Momentarily, in Olivos.
Everybody queues at bus stops on Maipù.
Today at Retiro rail station there were long queues to board the train, according to the yellow marks on the platform.

This is a view from a skyscraper in Acassuso:

2m6an4g.jpg

Damn isadora just as I was thinking maybe you could grow on me you come out with some really lovely xenophobic statements. Christ.

Anyway the rest of your statements you'll soon find out are completely erroneous.

For me probably the best thing off the top of my head is that you invite people to your house fully expecting them to stay as long as they like, be that 2 hrs or 12. However if you have something to get done you also have to keep that in mind, I mean I know that if we invite friends for lunch on Saturday they probably won't leave until early evening, and there's a good possibility they'll stay for dinner. It can be both relaxing and exhausting -- it's nice to have that level of comfort that you don't feel like you're overstaying, but it can be exhausting to host as there's an endless parade of picada, appetizer, main, dessert, coffee, mate, facturas, ice cream, champagne, limoncello etc starting from midday and finishing???

1. I like to live in a place the city is that green in a genuine way (and not the fake West Palm way)
  2. I like it here because I like that there is a unique blend of Europeans (let's forget of the indios for a moment)
  3. I like to imagine the first colonists who arrived here with very little and had a new land to discover and cities to build
  4. I like to watch at the oldest buldings of the 1800's and imagine how was Buenos Aires 100 years ago to those who arrived here from so far and had the city to shape
  5. I like that there are so many places where you can have a cheap meal just for the sake of hanging out with friends (a thing I could no longer afford in Italy)
  6. I like the limited choice of vegetables and fruit which are just the seasonal ones, and not incredibly red strawberries 365 days a year like at Publix
  7. I like that taking a public mean of transport is very convenient compared to owning a private car (in Italy, if you travel in at least 2, it is cheaper to go by car)
  8. I like to live in a country where I am not overcontrolled by mean of interconnected databases and cams and the like.
  9. I like to live in a place where there are very little (recent) immigrants from the third world who cannot seem to integrate with the society
  10. I like to live in a country where I don't have to pass a metal detector every time I enter a public office, like you have to in the US
  11. I like that people here give you a genuine smile and a say a nice line not because they are instructed to by the management and fear customer complains
  12. I like that here you queue to get on a bus or a train, in a such disciplined manner that I would never expect to find in Latin America
  13. I like that the people here are not obsessed with being tanned and skinny and wearing branded clothes, nor about parading their asses/titties at every chance they get (I imagined LatinoAmericans as J.Lo and Nicky Minaj, sorry - it pleased by their simplicity and lack of taste by the fashion standards)

Perhaps the most unintentionally offensive post I've read on this forum. Kudos.

Americans do not have a god-given right to expect that all the world shall observe their American idea of Political Correctness.

Yes, I cringed a little bit too, because I am also American and I have been conditioned to cringe. But that doesn't mean we are right and the rest of the world is wrong. We only make up 5% of the population of planet Earth.

Back