What will the Dollar be worth End 2020.!

I was not able to edit the above. I meant to publish:

The peso loses about a point a week. As of now the sell rate according to La Nacion is $73,5. There are 24 weeks left in 2020. $100 seems about right by end of year. The blue rate is $128. I guess we can expect a blue rate at $150 by then. I wonder wonder what sort of drop would occur if the debt talks collapse.

Soon time to start buying things in 6-12 month cuotas.

It won’t just be the debt talks affecting the blue. Once price controls come off in the months ahead and the economic collapse shows itself more clearly including contraction in production and demand, inflation will skyrocket meaning regular people will be looking to buy dollars at any cost just to preserve the little wealth they have.

My own guess is that at some point soon enough the government will be forced into deep reforms and new borrowing just to stay afloat which could stall the blue again.

...at some point soon enough the government will be forced into deep reforms and new borrowing just to stay afloat which could stall the blue again.
I doubt the current government will be able to do either - it has no stomach for deep reforms, and no credibility for borrowing.

I doubt the current government will be able to do either - it has no stomach for deep reforms, and no credibility for borrowing.

The situation is far worse than when Menem (a peronist) was also forced into reform. Here we are essentially dealing with a scorched earth.
  • The government has killed investor confidence to inject new capital in Argentina.
  • The government does not have money - it cannot tax an economy that does not produce and it cannot borrow at this moment, but promisingly it is keen to reach a debt agreement. The only option it has in the meantime is to print money which yes or yes creates inflation which kills the poor.
  • There will be mass unemployment. The amount of business closures will only multiply.
  • Consumer confidence and capacity is wrecked and will stay wrecked for a long time.
  • People are already pissed off with the health situation and running low on patience.
  • A brain and capital drain lays ahead once borders reopen - like was seen back in 2002.
  • The whole world is also having issues and are increasingly inwardly focused while commodity prices are bottom of the barrel, meaning no external help for poor, indebted and isolationist little Argentina.
How to keep the peace? The only way to make jobs, get people spending and pay for social plans to keep people fed is by having money to spend in the first place. Without this money social unrest will grow, eventually pushing the government up against a wall. Either they:
  • Get taken out by angry masses / don't survive the next election doing long lasting damage to their political movement as ironically those who will suffer most from this mess are those who voted for them (with the exception of the political class and public workforce)
  • Come up with a "social compromise" (e.g. deep restructuring going back on everything they stand for, its peronism and popularism afterall so ideals don't really mean much in the first place)
  • Or in worst case scenario, dig in and go Venezuela / Iran by hijacking the state (least likely in my opinion, as these models have proven time and again to be doomed to failure and only serve to prop up corrupt regimes and limited associated interests that always lead to massive human rights abuses to sustain themselves, which may be too far for Argentine to take - can hardly see the Madres de Plaza del Mayo supporting Chavez/ Maduro style forced disappearances and torture centers, right?)
The following articulates the issues that will affect the economy and the FX rates nicely:

https://www.infobae.com/economia/20...ren-una-economia-como-la-de-iran-o-venezuela/

"We are in a decay trap. We are trapped and also with very high inflation. In the last 10 years, the annual average inflation was higher than the accumulated average for the same period in Latin American countries"

"To double per capita income we need 390 years when Colombia needs 39 years. If you look at the last 46 years, in 19 of them GDP per capita fell, that of 2020 is 19% less than that of 2010"

"For this year, Broda calculated that the economy is moving towards a drop in activity of between 12% and 14% of GDP, in addition to moving towards higher inflation rates because the pandemic found a country without the ability to take out debt to finance itself and only resource is monetary issue by the Central Bank."

Argentina is in a decadence trap (of government spending) that it can only escape by copying the successful movements of the world. Everywhere in the world they did orderly macroeconomics. There are business and union lobbies everywhere, but they were able to do it (...) We will not get out of this with a state structuralist program, which is what we are most likely to do, ”said Broda.

"It is a very, very complicated horizon, this is much greater than the two great recessions we had after the exit of convertibility and the international financial crisis of 2008 and 2009," he said."

"The macroeconomist also referred to the extensive renegotiation of the debt governed by foreign courts, was optimistic about the possibility of reaching an agreement, but said that while it would be good news, it is not the main problem."

After reading the wall o' text above, I am just going to say that my own expectations are far more optimistic. Food prices are going to go nowhere but up in the coming year, and Argentina exports great quantities of high quality food.

And the Kirchneristas have a solid base of supporters who will stand by them through thick and thin. Oh yes, they will grumble, but they will follow Cristina to the gates of Hell and back again.

As for the economist quoted above, eh, economists. They're the ones who got us into this mess.

"Chavez/ Maduro style forced disappearances and torture centers" ?? This is pure fantasy. If this was real, Guido would have disappeared long ago.

"Chavez/ Maduro style forced disappearances and torture centers" ?? This is pure fantasy. If this was real, Guido would have disappeared long ago.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...re-inmates-fighting-roosters-beat-sticks.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/19/world/americas/venezuela-forced-disappearances-Maduro.html

Um, that is like me saying the scale of forced disappearances in Argentina was mostly fantasy as Alfonsin, De la Rua or Kristina and her husband would have been floating face down in the Rio de la Plata long before they could rise to power or encourage something as abhorrent as democracy. Even a dictatorship needs to keep some "opposition" alive to prove its not actually a dictatorship. Not sure if you speak to many Venezuelans here also, but most have some interesting stories to tell about political oppression.

One is entitled to economic optimism and to choose their political following however. Those with the most optimism, blind support or vague understanding of basic economic realities are usually those with the least the loose, so they can afford to live in a bubble of ideals.

Maduro's apologists can explain all they want, but Venezuelans are voting with their feet. Millions have fled the country - in Uruguay there are petroleum engineers bagging groceries at the local supermarket.

Last edited:
The situation is far worse than when Menem (a peronist) was also forced into reform. Here we are essentially dealing with a scorched earth.
  • The government has killed investor confidence to inject new capital in Argentina.
  • The government does not have money - it cannot tax an economy that does not produce and it cannot borrow at this moment, but promisingly it is keen to reach a debt agreement. The only option it has in the meantime is to print money which yes or yes creates inflation which kills the poor.
  • There will be mass unemployment. The amount of business closures will only multiply.
  • Consumer confidence and capacity is wrecked and will stay wrecked for a long time.
  • People are already pissed off with the health situation and running low on patience.
  • A brain and capital drain lays ahead once borders reopen - like was seen back in 2002.
  • The whole world is also having issues and are increasingly inwardly focused while commodity prices are bottom of the barrel, meaning no external help for poor, indebted and isolationist little Argentina.
How to keep the peace? The only way to make jobs, get people spending and pay for social plans to keep people fed is by having money to spend in the first place. Without this money social unrest will grow, eventually pushing the government up against a wall. Either they:
  • Get taken out by angry masses / don't survive the next election doing long lasting damage to their political movement as ironically those who will suffer most from this mess are those who voted for them (with the exception of the political class and public workforce)
  • Come up with a "social compromise" (e.g. deep restructuring going back on everything they stand for, its peronism and popularism afterall so ideals don't really mean much in the first place)
  • Or in worst case scenario, dig in and go Venezuela / Iran by hijacking the state (least likely in my opinion, as these models have proven time and again to be doomed to failure and only serve to prop up corrupt regimes and limited associated interests that always lead to massive human rights abuses to sustain themselves, which may be too far for Argentine to take - can hardly see the Madres de Plaza del Mayo supporting Chavez/ Maduro style forced disappearances and torture centers, right?)
The following articulates the issues that will affect the economy and the FX rates nicely:

https://www.infobae.com/economia/20...ren-una-economia-como-la-de-iran-o-venezuela/

"We are in a decay trap. We are trapped and also with very high inflation. In the last 10 years, the annual average inflation was higher than the accumulated average for the same period in Latin American countries"

"To double per capita income we need 390 years when Colombia needs 39 years. If you look at the last 46 years, in 19 of them GDP per capita fell, that of 2020 is 19% less than that of 2010"

"For this year, Broda calculated that the economy is moving towards a drop in activity of between 12% and 14% of GDP, in addition to moving towards higher inflation rates because the pandemic found a country without the ability to take out debt to finance itself and only resource is monetary issue by the Central Bank."

Argentina is in a decadence trap (of government spending) that it can only escape by copying the successful movements of the world. Everywhere in the world they did orderly macroeconomics. There are business and union lobbies everywhere, but they were able to do it (...) We will not get out of this with a state structuralist program, which is what we are most likely to do, ”said Broda.

"It is a very, very complicated horizon, this is much greater than the two great recessions we had after the exit of convertibility and the international financial crisis of 2008 and 2009," he said."

"The macroeconomist also referred to the extensive renegotiation of the debt governed by foreign courts, was optimistic about the possibility of reaching an agreement, but said that while it would be good news, it is not the main problem."
I liked ... no make that I loved your post. Very well laid out and very on point. Great job!

Let me offer this:

Suppose that the best and brightest economic minds were assigned the task of resurrecting Argentina, (The government, the economy and the economic state of the populace.) with complete free reign to act. That in, and of itself, would be a massive job to do ... even by the best and brightest there is. It would take a lot of co operation from everyone. And I feel that it is next to impossible to bring such a fragmented country together to have the courage and patience to stick with it from beginning to end. And I can't blame the people because over the decades, they have seen failure after failure. There is no trust. But, playing devil's advocate here, assuming the people would stick with the whole process supplying blind faith, the amount of time to turn Argentina around and make it one of the most economically, corruption free societies on the face of the planet wold take 20 to 30 years time. This is just not going to happen. Argentina is DOOMED to their problems and way of life for decades to come, perhaps centuries. I think Argentina would have a better chance of being turned around if they were conquered. The conquering country, assuming they were organized and prosperous, imposing their will. That might work??? But given that Argentina is Argentina and they are running their own affairs ... I see nothing but MISERY ahead for generations. It's just not in the cards.

So, if you are one of the many, it is every man, woman and child for themself. There most definitely will be a flight from the country once the world re opens. The first one's to go will be the ones who are already INTERNATIONAL IN NATURE. They have dual citizenship, money and language ability. The next wave will be the one's who possess sought after skills and abilities. (Not talking about maids and kitchen staff here!) ... The highly educated will exit en masse. After that, there will be those who marry foreigners to escape. I full expect a lot of international relationships to be forged as a result of all that this country has become. For the pretty face ... if they can keep their cool ... it is an escape. And I have to imagine, humans thinking similarly as they tend to do ... this idea has crossed the minds of many. And lastly, there will be the last group who will break the law to get away if they can. Absconding comes to mind. But don't think that will be easy, because places like EE UU will not be so generous or free flowing with tourist visas to places that represent a high rate of risk with respect to absconding.

The ones who are left behind (And it will be most of the country's populace will be left holding the bag to suffer for the rest of their lives. They have no hope to do anything except to trudge on. Family, friends and asado will only take a person so far. There will be wants and needs ... a real hunger for all things tangible that will never be fed.

And in spite of it all, Argentina, politics and economy aside, will still be the light that attracts the moths because the country is a jewell otherwise. And that jewel will be heavily exploited by those with USD & Euros. For an average amount of exterior money, one can and will live a very privileged existence.

This is scary stuff, but it seems to me that Argentina will not get on it's feet for all the years I have yet to live and it is quite a long time. I never expect to see Argentina be prosperous during my lifetime. JUST IS NOT GOING TO BE SEEN.

Maduro's apologists can explain all they want, but Venezuelans are voting with their feet. Millions have fled the country - in Uruguay there are petroleum engineers bagging groceries at the local supermarket.
And as soon as they can if ever, they aspire to make real money if they could land somewhere to put their skills to good use.

Most of the Argentines I hear planning to leave are looking either at Spain or Australia.

Back