What's A Seattlelite To Do..

You are probably familiar with this topic then.
http://seattletimes....0213/cover.html

Even has a tidbit about an Argentine. I'm sure it is different for those who are born and raised here.

I grew up in the US south and found the culture in Seattle pretty much like the article.

I found the article pretty accurate and that's actually the kind of person that I am. Living here now is the complete opposite to what I'm used to. Ha, maybe that's why making friends has been a challenge. When my husband would tell me to make friends, I would always reply with "I don't need to make friends, I have like no interest at all to make friends". Now I realize it's just the Seattle in me. I like being polite but most of the time when I meet new people I don't try to go past a greeting and then going back to minding my own business.

Having lived for 17 years in Seattle, I can say it's a soulless place though beautiful. You are still in the recovery stage. Give yourself time...

As a Vancouverite I concur. Home in Vancouver now and being seduced by unusually nice weather, late summer evenings, loads of fresh fruit, and all the things that make it so nice. But then there's the price tag, of everything! And of course, there's the kind of blah life. And frankly a bit of a superiority complex, accompanied by crazy consumerism and a dose of navel gazing. And then there's November. do not forget November, rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.

My brother keeps trying to convince me to move to Seattle. It's beautiful, Pike street is great, it's rainy, humid, not too cold in the winter, and totally boring for someone who used to live in NYC and now resides in Buenos Aires. I don't know if it's a souless city so much as it's like a dry, bland cracker with no salt, or cheese or queso crema. I don't find it to be very diverse or mulit-cultural. I met so many Seattlelites that still don't understand the difference between Latin America, South America and Central America.

Pikes place is one of the things I miss the most, or paddle boarding in greenlake. I got to work with a lot of people and I would actually say that it is very multicultural, although in comparison to nyc then yes, I can see why you would think that.

Taking classes is a great way to get out of the house and occupy the mind (not to mention learn new things!!!) My life/disposition has changed a lot since i started taking classes. They are various and well-priced here (compared to the states, especially!) Also lots of free options if you google "cursos gratuitos en buenos aires" Cooking, dance, yoga/meditation, huerta organica, writing, painting, photography... as long as you can understand Spanish there is so much to take advantage of! I recommend looking into classes now because most will probably start with the new 'semester' in August. PM me if you are interested in any of the above and I can point you in the right direction!!

I've actually been taking advantage of those classes. I do the huerta organica. I've started my own garden and I absolutely love it and it's so rewarding. :)

I grew up in NYC (till 21), then spent the next 40 something years in Seattle. Seattle people are VERY polite, but unless you went to kindergarden together, forget being invited to dinner or anything. All our friends in Seattle grew up some where else.
Tom and I love living in BsAS, I love all the kissing, we have great friends, they are in your face and real, just like NYC.
Nancy

I grew up in the Northwest, and I can say Tacoma is a soulless place. Seattle, though, has an active cultural life to complement its geographical setting.

Tacoma is interesting. Definitely soulless. Also a great place to get your car stolen. They have good grub places though. (Dirty oscars was my fav)

I'm from wa, but not Seattle. We look at them as being a bit snobbish actually, it's a very artsy crowd type atmosphere. But I love it and plan to live there haha. I'm the type of person the article talks about, and I'm marrying a very portena girl who I can't take anywhere without feeling like she will either haggle someone into a great buy, or end up getting punched in the face. It's always interesting here in bs as because of that, but I miss the nice boring safe lifestyle of wa. She always tells me I'm to nice and then that I'm cold to everyone haha, so ya, spot on article. However I have noticed a huge difference in friendships at least, in wa they where so solid once attained, here it feels to come and go as the money or excitement does. I prefer Seattle after all is said and done, especially looking at starting a family.

Glad to see so many north westerners here in bs as !

I've actually been taking advantage of those classes. I do the huerta organica. I've started my own garden and I absolutely love it and it's so rewarding. :)

Oooh we could get together and trade tips ! (and seeds!) Once you get over your freeze ;)

Back