What's A Seattlelite To Do..

Philip I am from the east side closer to Spokane, but I love going to Seattle I always preferred it because of the climate and atmosphere.

So many people from Seattle! wow. I lived there from 1993 to 2014 (still have the residency in White Center, hehe)

Actually, Tacoma is pretty interesting right now. I know at least a couple of dozen people who have fled Seattle, with its incredibly high real estate prices, and bought in Tacoma in the last few years. There are good new bars and restaurants and shops and galleries and microbreweries, museums, and nice, cheap, houses.
One of my favorite curmudgeons, Art Chantry, lives there. Its kind of like Seattle was in the mid 70's- cheap and undiscovered.

Meanwhile, Seattle is in terminal traffic gridlock, political gridlock, construction madness (30 or so tower cranes over downtown right now) and prices are thru the roof. Ethan Stowell, who is the restauranteur du jour there, is opening a new, "neighborhood" place in Madrona- $300 prix fixe. Thats dollars, not pesos. In the blue- whats that- 3300 pesos, plus 20% tip- call it 4000 a person. A months salary for the lower class in Buenos Aires.

Apartments in Seattle are priced accordingly. I just did some work on a new building there, near South Lake Union- a studio apartment starts at $1800 USD a month, plus utilities, and parking, with, of course, first, last, and deposit required.

I was basically born and raised in Seattle- and I fled in 84, when I thought it was getting too crowded with yuppies and overpriced- and most things there are about ten times the cost they were then. Salaries, except if you are tech, are not high enough to support living there.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Actually, Tacoma is pretty interesting right now. I know at least a couple of dozen people who have fled Seattle, with its incredibly high real estate prices, and bought in Tacoma in the last few years. There are good new bars and restaurants and shops and galleries and microbreweries, museums, and nice, cheap, houses.
One of my favorite curmudgeons, Art Chantry, lives there. Its kind of like Seattle was in the mid 70's- cheap and undiscovered.

Meanwhile, Seattle is in terminal traffic gridlock, political gridlock, construction madness (30 or so tower cranes over downtown right now) and prices are thru the roof. Ethan Stowell, who is the restauranteur du jour there, is opening a new, "neighborhood" place in Madrona- $300 prix fixe. Thats dollars, not pesos. In the blue- whats that- 3300 pesos, plus 20% tip- call it 4000 a person. A months salary for the lower class in Buenos Aires.

Apartments in Seattle are priced accordingly. I just did some work on a new building there, near South Lake Union- a studio apartment starts at $1800 USD a month, plus utilities, and parking, with, of course, first, last, and deposit required.

I was basically born and raised in Seattle- and I fled in 84, when I thought it was getting too crowded with yuppies and overpriced- and most things there are about ten times the cost they were then. Salaries, except if you are tech, are not high enough to support living there.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I grew up in Tacoma, and couldn't wait to get away. I visit once in a while, but never for more than a few days. When I lived there, it was (in)famous for the scent of the Weyerhaueser pulp mill, though Point Defiance Park had a lot to recommend it.

The "Aroma of Tacoma" is gone, for close to 20 years now.
The area around Stadium High is a mini-brooklyn these days, with hipsters in lycra black jeans selling microbrews and vintage clothes, gourmet cookies and special olive oils and fancy 7 dollar loaves of bread.

Tacoma still has black people (they have pretty much been evicted from Seattle) and white trash army families, it has discount stores and cheap dive bars, it has greasy spoon breakfast places- all long gone from Seattle, replaced by boutiques selling $300 jeans and cupcakes.

For artists, Tacoma is about the last affordable studio space around.
Tacoma aint NYC, or Paris- but beggars can't be choosers, and, with the average Amazon salary at about $125,000 a year, most people we used to consider "middle class" are beggars now in Seattle.

But if you are looking for a good deal on a million dollar "loftaminium" - that would be a bare concrete room with no walls, kitchen, or bath- you better jump fast. They last on the market in Seattle for a few days, at most.

The "Aroma of Tacoma" is gone, for close to 20 years now.
The area around Stadium High is a mini-brooklyn these days, with hipsters in lycra black jeans selling microbrews and vintage clothes, gourmet cookies and special olive oils and fancy 7 dollar loaves of bread.

Tacoma still has black people (they have pretty much been evicted from Seattle) and white trash army families, it has discount stores and cheap dive bars, it has greasy spoon breakfast places- all long gone from Seattle, replaced by boutiques selling $300 jeans and cupcakes.

For artists, Tacoma is about the last affordable studio space around.
Tacoma aint NYC, or Paris- but beggars can't be choosers, and, with the average Amazon salary at about $125,000 a year, most people we used to consider "middle class" are beggars now in Seattle.

But if you are looking for a good deal on a million dollar "loftaminium" - that would be a bare concrete room with no walls, kitchen, or bath- you better jump fast. They last on the market in Seattle for a few days, at most.

I grew up in suburban Tacoma (Lakes District/Steilacoom area), where the aroma didn't reach us except when we drove to Seattle. Still, it was deadly boring.

My son works in Seattle as an engineer on the Tunnel project downtown. I have visited him several times , and can say , it is a lovely city.
In the summer. I'd rather have a thunder storm in Florida summer than deal with those cold rainy winters. Alas , our Florida winters are the best. Ask any Canadian.

My son works in Seattle as an engineer on the Tunnel project downtown. I have visited him several times , and can say , it is a lovely city.
In the summer. I'd rather have a thunder storm in Florida summer than deal with those cold rainy winters. Alas , our Florida winters are the best. Ask any Canadian.

Seattle winters are wet, but not especially cold. Frosts are uncommon and snow is rare (except in the mountains, which are close enough for night skiing after work).

Last time I went to see him we went up to the pass east of Issaguah and there was a lot of snow. Lots. But agree , the city is a cold , wet , miserable place in the winter. That was in December , so I was not surprised.

Back