What's happening to this country?

Anyway, you guys are right. This thread is not about the US. I've made my point by inviting the comparison--a rhetorical choice.

I guess I have always felt like a "guest" in AR, and thus reluctant to cast aspersions. I should have taken into greater consideration the fact that if you have lived there for several years or more, some non-trivial percentage of your lifetime, you feel more ownership of national issues, and with it, the corresponding moral outrage. I'm sorry that my comment didn't give that angle any consideration.

AlexanderB said:
I guess I have always felt like a "guest" in AR, and thus reluctant to cast aspersions.

Why would you feel like that? In 2008 when I arrived here, every Argentine and foreigner I met were willing to give me their dos centavos about the U.S. elections. None clearly lived in the U.S., and most had never even been. "You live in Missouri? Where's that?" Why is it then that foreigners in Argentina are balked at for having an opinion (often shared by other Argentines) regarding Argentina? And why is it that the foreigner's country of origin is almost always dragged into the equation when the opinion isn't exactly positive?

bradlyhale said:
Why would you feel like that? In 2008 when I arrived here, every Argentine and foreigner I met were willing to give me their dos centavos about the U.S. elections. None clearly lived in the U.S., and most had never even been. "You live in Missouri? Where's that?" Why is it then that foreigners in Argentina are balked at for having an opinion (often shared by other Argentines) regarding Argentina? And why is it that the foreigner's country of origin is almost always dragged into the equation when the opinion isn't exactly positive?

I don't know. However, I'm originally from Russia, and have run into the same issue throughout my lifelong immigration process to the US, even though I've been here for over 20 years!

Many Americans can't tell I'm foreign since I've been here since I was a young child, but when they do find out, they very often tell me to "go back to Russia" if I complain about something. Furthermore, they don't seem to get much out of my resultant speech on the importance of allowing everyone to have a participatory voice, and that there's nothing wrong with wanting positive change and development--it doesn't mean you should "love it or leave it."

I think this is a universal tendency. :) Argentinians are a proud people, too.

To Gringobuy ,
AHAHAH , kinda , yes , . I have this computer upstairs , but I also have another laptop in the kitchen ( ibm 240X) it runs on candle power. If I type too fast , it eats letters.
Freddy Dgip.
COMPLETELY on the ball ! YES ! , it started with Juan Peron. There is a paper that I posted a link to . It discusses the mess that peron did with the judicial system, and pretty much points this action as the begining of the end to the rule of law. Id like to add it as an atachment , but cant seem to figure out how. If somone is willing to host it , Ill post it . I t really gave me an AHHHH moment when I read it and explained much of what is going on .
I still think that common argentines are to blame for the curent situations. Argentines LIKE and welcome currupt goverments.
Same end as De la Rua ? I think not , Everyone screamed as loud as they could for " que se vayan todos " Taht didnt happen , same people in politics for the last 40 years ! Kunkel was around since the milicos ! and prior to that , he was part of the peron goverment !\the kneejerk reaction of every argentine - confronted with the smallest criticism, goes the way of , corrupccion en estados unidos tambien hay . Its part of the lack of education / malajusted argentine mind.

Blah Blah Blah. Most of us are part of "the people", and we will vote for those that are less malignant to us (that is democracy, the government of the "less bad"). Nowadays, that person is Cristina (and if that fascist Merc has something to say about it, I and the rest of the country don´t care). Get somebody serious to be part of the opposition, and then we will talk. Macri is the biggest hope for the right, and is something close to a moron (not even a Santorum, imagine that!).

"fascist Merc"

That's all you brainless idiots have ?

That's the "modelo", there you go. What a brilliant future.

I would prefer my portero to be president instead of that stupid woman. He's at least a human being.

Chau inepto. disfrutalo mientras te dure.

marksoc said:
Blah Blah Blah. Most of us are part of "the people", and we will vote for those that are less malignant to us (that is democracy, the government of the "less bad"). Nowadays, that person is Cristina (and if that fascist Merc has something to say about it, I and the rest of the country don´t care). Get somebody serious to be part of the opposition, and then we will talk. Macri is the biggest hope for the right, and is something close to a moron (not even a Santorum, imagine that!).

I totally agree, it's not the government's. They get voted and happily steal as much as they can and do nothing. It's the idiotic people who vote for them, it's their fault.

Brains like marcsoc. Take a look, the only thing he has to say to me is "fascist".

Fabe said:
I still think that common argentines are to blame for the curent situations. Argentines LIKE and welcome currupt goverments.
Same end as De la Rua ? I think not , Everyone screamed as loud as they could for " que se vayan todos " Taht didnt happen , same people in politics for the last 40 years ! Kunkel was around since the milicos ! and prior to that , he was part of the peron goverment !\the kneejerk reaction of every argentine - confronted with the smallest criticism, goes the way of , corrupccion en estados unidos tambien hay . Its part of the lack of education / malajusted argentine mind.

Back