What's The Best Way To Deal With The "trapitos"

D.B. Cooper

Registered
I don't have a car, but don't rule out getting one in the not too distant future.
Last year I saw a fistfight between two trapito guys. They were fighting over turf.
The fight went on for almost 20 minutes. I see these people as the scourge of the city.
I see it as a form of extortion. Just curious as the way expats deal with it.

I don't have a car, but don't rule out getting one in the not too distant future.
Last year I saw a fistfight between two trapito guys. They were fighting over turf.
The fight went on for almost 20 minutes. I see these people as the scourge of the city.
I see it as a form of extortion. Just curious as the way expats deal with it.

I find a wagging finger usually works. The city has worse scourges, but maybe they'll send each other to the hospital (in which case their stay will be expense-free - for them, at least)

Until I can afford to pay the "King of the Trapitos" to travel around in my car with me and defend my car from your average Palermo trapito, then I park where the trapito tells me and pay him/her some money.

We try to park where they are not. Or tell them we'll pay them when we return, since the payment is for them to watch the car all night, they would of course still be there right! But if it's unavoidable you just fork over some pesos, otherwise they'll key your car.

Here's what I do. If it's ridiculous or they have a stupid attitude, I am just super polite and tell them I don't have change but will get some where I am going and pay them after I get back (the worst are people that "charge" you and set a very high number). I have never gotten my car keyed when I did that. Usually they are gone and if it is a big jerk I just ignore them and drive off; if it's someone nice or that has a disability or that's older, I'll give them something.

And now you why i only buy cars already keyed oh btw when did season open? :)

Back