What's the best way to find a long(er)-term apartment??

hyperborean

Registered
I know...probably an overasked question. But the only site I know of (and that I've used before) is craigslist. Are there better ways to find furnished apts. in BA? I'm going to stay an indefinite time...not looking for anything like a year lease that will tie me down to one place, but certainly a way to find an apt. that can give a discount to a long-term resident. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I had great luck with Craigslist and was dealing with an owner from NYC, but it's still iffy.

The only way I know to get a "long term discount" is to rent long term...(in BA that means 2 years).

steveinbsas said:
I had great luck with Craigslist and was dealing with an owner from NYC, but it's still a crapshoot.

Thanks for reply. First time I got to BA I got absolutely ripped off with clist...because I was eager to rent something fast. Second time I rented a very nice place near the Scalabrini Ortiz D station for around $800/month for a term of only 2-3 months, thought it was a good deal. I'll be staying much longer this time, I'm just wondering if I can find something nice for significantly less than that.

hyperborean said:
Thanks for reply. First time I got to BA I got absolutely ripped off with clist...because I was eager to rent something fast. Second time I rented a very nice place near the Scalabrini Ortiz D station for around $800/month for a term of only 2-3 months, thought it was a good deal. I'll be staying much longer this time, I'm just wondering if I can find something nice for significantly less than that.

I'm afraid you will only know the answer to this after the fact. Though it's usually worth shopping for a "good" deal, it sounds like you already know from experience that some "deals" are too good to be true.

steveinbsas said:
I'm afraid you will only know the answer to this after the fact.

Hmm... you are being mysterious? :p Not sure I understand. Is the rate I quoted too high for a nice, furnished 1 br, etc...I imagine it is...still an inflated rate.

I suppose I would also be curious if anyone knows of places to find 1- 2- yr places, but I'm not a "domestic" so not interested in buying furniture, etc., home-care and such things. I just want to get it out of the way....finding an apt. is a great annoyance.

I mean that you will only know it if's a good deal after you actually see it, and then it may be too late as you may have already paid a deposit in advance. If you can, rent short term (one month at the most) and shop for a good/better deal after you arrive/return.

I just recently was helping a couple that was looking for a longer-term rental. My function was strictly as a translator, but I learned a lot about the apartment rental market in Buenos Aires. Here is my perspective: For a furnished apartment, the longest term a standard contract (one that can stand up in court) that can be done is for only 6 months.
For an unfurnished apartment the shortest term that can be done is 2 years and you have to have the said guarantia. Which means you have to get an Argentinian property owner or bank to co-sign your rent agreement. It is difficult to get a local owner to even consider renting you an unfurnished apartment for less than 2 years and without a guarantia. If you are here on your own (ie. not on an ex-pat contract with the back up of a large well known company) it is very difficult to get a guarantia.

We found that many owners (especially overseas owners) that rent a furnished place, often like to use it themselves or for family members through out the year. Meaning that they were not that interested in 3-6 month rentals. Especially now as many come during the Christmas season. If you are working through an agency, the nice apartments tend to be rented out a few months out so you would have to find an apartment that has no one renting for the next 3-6 months. Maybe a newer listing, for example.

Many have found their way around some of these obstacles by talking directly to the owners of apartments. But how does one do that? It is mostly through word of mouth. Once you get here and get your network established you find someone, that knows someone etc.

In the end I managed to hook up this couple with the owner of my apartment that happened to have a second apartment which he had not yet listed with any agency and therefore was free for the next 6 months. As they worked directly with him they also got a good price. By the way I met this couple just a few weeks ago at one of Dave's BBQ's
http://baexpats.org/expat-events/5092-burgers-burbs-6-14-a.html
This is a great place to meet and socialize. So call it luck, fate, coincidence, connecting, networking - whatever you want to call it - that's how they got their rental.

Just know that the rental market and rental contracts work very different here than in the USA. The mentality of a local owner is distrust of everyone as the laws here favor rentors not owners. If you try and approach it like to US rental market you will be very frustrated.

Thanks betts! That's good info. Sounds complicated then...I guess I'll just move from place to place until I find something...I don't mind. Just for future reference, and not to beat the same point...you think that price I quoted (around $800 for a nice 1-br with everything in a good part of Palermo) is OK or am I overpaying by a lot? A lot of the craigslist prices are way over what they should be charging. Anyway, I should think they'd be willing to go even lower seeing how it's winter now, there's less tourism, etc., if you're willing to take the place for longer.

Back