What's the deal about Angola anyway?

I am guessing that arg exports to china have deceased, NZ$ and AU$ have dropped in the last few weeks because of this (dairy prices have dropped by 40% since beginning of year because china isnt buying as much), so she needs gas/fuel with no money to pay for it, and angola needs food, so they will do a little swap.

El chabon said:
Any Western power that sended there president or head of state on a diplomatic/trade mission to Angola?

Well, perhaps, just perhaps Argentina is not a western power. Ghost might be right and she is desesperated because she rules a country with huge lacks of gas, credit and money, among others.
So, seems that the trade mission is really important and it is important enought to send the President.
Am i wrong?

Bajo_cero2 said:
well, i just read at wikipedia that 85 percent of Angola exports are gas and oil. They also imports foods.
If you remember, repsol cancel the supply of gas.

So, perhaps she is looking for a new supplier of gas who accepts food and argentine goods instead of dollards.

Argentine products, mainly, cannot be exported to europe. However, the market at Angola is less picky and they grew 18, 25 % depending of the year.

Crazy? Smart? You decide.

No way. I don't see how this would work when the corporate shareholders in their LNG project will want USD, not Argentine food commodities in exchange for their investment. Anything else is just wishful thinking on behalf of this administration.

(Reuters) - Angola LNG is to start regular exports of liquefied natural gas in late June after shipping tests next month and will target non-U.S. buyers in Europe and Asia where prices are higher, oil minister Jose Botelho de Vasconcelos said on Tuesday.
The 5.2 million tonnes per annum (mtpa) Angola LNG project is led by Angola's state-owned oil company, Sonangol, which has a 22.8 percent interest and Chevron, which holds 36.4 percent. Eni, Total and BP each hold a stake of 13.6 percent
De Botelho also told reporters that plans by French oil major Total to reduce output at its Girassol platform in June for planned works do not threaten the government's target to produce an average of 1.8 million barrels of oil per day this year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/24/angola-lng-idUSL5E8FOCO820120424

Yep. You see, Argentina had the ability to supply herself with enough gas and cash for other things, but she kills the industry here by high export taxes, price controls, expropriation, removal of leases because the companies can't make profits (oh! evil profits!!) with the limitations the government puts on the industry. They know there's no way they can increase production themselves in the next few years - they have neither the money nor the resources, and they have no other prod for the companies that do business here already to raise production other than take leases away or expropriate their companies.

Angola food for oil seems to me to be a stretch at best. Angola is going to be able to buy lots of food (if it wants to) with its cash. It doesn't need to trade oil or gas.

Bajo_cero2 said:
Well, perhaps, just perhaps Argentina is not a western power. Ghost might be right and she is desesperated because she rules a country with huge lacks of gas, credit and money, among others.
So, seems that the trade mission is really important and it is important enought to send the President.
Am i wrong?

A power surely not, that was a reference of the guy I responded at.

Cristina sure seems to think Argentina is a western power, especially at the g20. Making friends with international paria's doesnt look so good then

But I am sure she came back with loads of diamonds and Angola has a place to ship there unwanted citizen too.

El chabon said:
A power surely not, that was a reference of the guy I responded at.

Cristina sure seems to think Argentina is a western power, especially at the g20. Making friends with international paria's doesnt look so good then

But I am sure she came back with loads of diamonds and Angola has a place to ship there unwanted citizen too.

Argentina is a paria country.

In fact, until last dictadura Argentina was an allied of the US in the war against Communism and had some chances of being a western country but Massera (former dictator) decided to ally with the Soviet Union, Communist China, Cuba, to develop nuclear weapons (missile Condor II), among other inconsistencies. I suggest you read "Fuimos todos":

http://www.tematika.com/libros/dere...istoria_argentina--1/fuimos_todos--458250.htm

The isolation that Argentina suffered because of lack of respect for human rights made the government to look for another markets. Gadafi was another partner of the dictatorial government.

So, life is ironic, they rise to power for fighting the communism in South America (the contras in Nicaragua were Argentinians mainly, the overthrown of Bolivia democratic government wasnt´t done by CIA, it was the Argentinian secret service) and they finished allied with the communist powers in what Galtieri called "romper el cerco" (break out the isolation).

So, for sure Argentina is not a power and it is not either a western country because, among western countries, it is a paria.

To develop commerce with 3rd world countries was a project of the extreme left during the 70´s and materialized by the extreme right during the end of the 70´s.

Suggested readings:

Jofre (former head of secret service):
Volver a Matar (1973-1973: The files of the anti-terrorist federal criminal chamber)
El Escarmiento (1973-1975: The offensive of Peron against Montoneros)
Nadie fue (1974-1976)
Fuimos todos (1976-1982)

http://www.lsf.com.ar/libros/30/nadie-fue/

Reato:
Operación Traviata (The Montoneros/Farc assesination of Rucci, head of the CGT)
Operación Primicia (The Montoneros attack to the barracts of formosa)
Disposición Final (The confession of Videla regarding the desaparecidos)

Giusanni:
"Montoneros, la sobervia armada"
http://www.tematika.com/libros/dere...-9/montoneros__la_soberbia_armada--535904.htm

Regards

Excellent suggested reading list by Bajo_cero2. I read the 5 books written by J.B.Yofre and Reato´s "Disposicion Final". I highly recommend them. As far as I know, the ones I read have not been translated to English.

...or maybe, you know,..Argentina needs to find a source of cheap gas to replace the deliveries cancelled by YPF.

Angola started exporting liquified Gas to the US this year.

Argentina needs new gas supplies.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. I'm struggling to understand why Argentina wouldn't want to develop a relationship with Angola ? A country which has a commodity Argentina needs and is a potential market for agri-exports.

Dublin2BuenosAires said:
...or maybe, you know,..Argentina needs to find a source of cheap gas to replace the deliveries cancelled by YPF.

Angola started exporting liquified Gas to the US this year.

Argentina needs new gas supplies.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. I'm struggling to understand why Argentina wouldn't want to develop a relationship with Angola ? A country which has a commodity Argentina needs and is a potential market for agri-exports.

And how is it again they are going to pay for it?

Maybe because it's an international paria? It has an dictator for 32 years? It abuses human rights? You made human rights as your administration backbone?

Back