What's Up With The Price Of Onions?

scotttswan

Registered
Don't think they've ever been this out of whack before.

38-40 peso's a kilo!

Rain supposedly. Of course I heard rain affected crops and then I heard rain was making it difficult for the trucks to deliver the onions. It's all BS. Let's see, a month ago - they were 35. Then they went back to 25. Then last week they told me it was 40 and onions were begin imported from New Zealand. This week it was 28.

Welcome to profiteering.

I wonder what the price is in Brazil, Uruguay or any other mercosur country.

Yesterday I still paid 30 and they appologized nicely ;) Never saw onion that expensive anywhere and the worst is, you can't avoid using it, unlike tomato or some other stuff. Though I realized I was using it too much ...

I wonder what the price is in Brazil, Uruguay or any other mercosur country.

http://www.devoto.com.uy/afind.aspx?cebolla, says $U62 or USD$2.21 for "cebolla importada". $2.21 @ 15 is ARS$33.15. They're almost the same in that respect.

And what's with the frozen peas...I can't find them anywhere. Found some in a Chinese Supermarket last week and they were so disgusting I threw the entire bag away...

And what's with the frozen peas...I can't find them anywhere. Found some in a Chinese Supermarket last week and they were so disgusting I threw the entire bag away...

The continuing inconsistent availability of common domestic food products in Argentina is a situation that drives me crazy, I can understand a shortage of imported food items, but not with domestic items. I'm not referring to any kind of specialty foods, either. The disappearance of frozen peas is a good example, as is the now overall unavailablity of canned white beans, once stocked in every supermarket, but today rarely on shelves anywhere.

Back