What's Wrong with the Young Guys in BA??

pandulf.ironhead

Registered
There are a lot of exceptions to this, but there seems to be something seriously wrong with the younger guys in BA. The girls here are attractive overall, physically and and also they have a sense of style...it's a style imported from Paris and NY, but whatever, it looks OK on a lot of them. They also seem to take good care of themselves.

Not so for the men. First, compared to the older generation, their grandparents, they've lost all the elegance and old-school style. It's hard to see what they've gained...

Typical Argentian guy in his twenties or teens seems to be, unshaved or with stupid small beard, scruffy/ridiculous hair ranging from "Jamaican" dreds to some weird 'fro, to mullet or something dumb like that, pot belly and bitch tits, T-shirt, shorts or capri pants, and sneakers, usually walking around slumped over and with a blank look in the face. I know there are many exceptions, I don't want to have to repeat myself, but you see this or variations on it so often...it's very depressing. It's even more depressing to see a hot, half-elegant Argentinian girl with a guy like this, I see it every day on the street.

Also in terms of behavior, again, lots of exceptions, but the attitude that goes with that look is spoiled, arrogant, and lazy, and often in-your-face about very stupid things (like complaining about Iraq out of the blue, etc.); they seem to have almost nothing in common with their grandparents' civilized and elegant generation. Some of the older men I see here have a dignity and bearing you almost never see in the US or even Europe anymore...which is why it's so shocking to see their grandsons are, on the whole, such schlubs. What happened to "Latin honor"?

But they come off worse even when compared to Brazilians or Americans their age so I don't think this is a universal generational thing. Above all the disregard that young Argentinian guys have for their bodies is disturbing. They live in a temperate country and have access to cheap protein, why can't they pick up a sport at least? Compare this to Brazil where so many of the young guys are very athletic and energetic and have a manly/relaxed character...maybe you'll think that's not much, but at least it's something. Young Argentinian guys just seem to walk around with no pride and no style, and have a spoiled/bitchy/"hysterico" attitude to boot, it's just very depressing to see...and it's such a contrast to what the Argentinian girls are like. I don't get it.

pandulf.ironhead said:
...Also in terms of behavior, again, lots of exceptions, but the attitude that goes with that look is spoiled, arrogant, and lazy, and often in-your-face about very stupid things (like complaining about Iraq out of the blue, etc.)...

...Young Argentinian guys just seem to walk around with no pride and no style, and have a spoiled/bitchy/"hysterico" attitude to boot, it's just very depressing to see...and it's such a contrast to what the Argentinian girls are like. I don't get it.

Hah! Yeah, I think Argentina has an idiot dude problem more than anything. Frankly, women are rarely the problem anywhere. Men are generally the dumb fucks who ruin everything and young men are, of course, always the dumbest. But young dudes in Buenos Aires are particularly ridiculous. Very difficult to meet a reasonable young dude in Buenos Aires. The culture just encourages douchiness (that spoiled/bitchy/"hysterico" attitude).

Wow, superficial much?

You make all of these observations from your cultural standpoint. What is so inherently "wrong" with how someone dresses? How does someone's hair or someone's clothing determine what kind of person she/he is?

Yikes. Someone evidently didn't take "Introduction to Sociology" in high school/university.

It s called the Latin Macho Style. ;)

As stated by the previous poster, what matters is not necessarily visible to the eyes. Get over your frustation and adapt (pop stars in the US rarely look like ideal step sons too).

Another thread about looks, this is getting redundant

Personally I think the fashion here sucks, women and men. But finding fashion depressing is weird. How about you rant about something important, like kids going through the garbage and sniffing glue, now that's depressing. Can't believe this is your second post on baexpats.org.

I think the men have better fashion sense than most American men, who wear sweat pants and 3 times too big t-shirts and sports-sweatshirts or even jerseys (good god) everywhere. It´s impossible to appreciate American men who might HAVE a nice body because it is hidden. Argentines at least flaunt what they have (when they have it), and do have it more often than Americans because they aren´t so goddamn overweight. And no one is more lazy culturally than the American, and I wonder what on earth gives you the impression that young Argentine men are, in general, lazy. They don´t appear to be workaholics to me, but most of them work harder than their American counterparts from what I´ve seen.

Just because you don´t like their sense of fashion, doesn´t make them ´histerico´, spoiled, or lazy (although I do believe there are some young guys here with a real spoiled mommy problem, but that´s my own personal opinion based on a lot more than how they dress and walk).

KatharineAnn said:
I think the men have better fashion sense than most American men, who wear sweat pants and 3 times too big t-shirts and sports-sweatshirts or even jerseys (good god) everywhere. It´s impossible to appreciate American men who might HAVE a nice body because it is hidden. Argentines at least flaunt what they have (when they have it), and do have it more often than Americans because they aren´t so goddamn overweight. And no one is more lazy culturally than the American, and I wonder what on earth gives you the impression that young Argentine men are, in general, lazy. They don´t appear to be workaholics to me, but most of them work harder than their American counterparts from what I´ve seen.

Just because you don´t like their sense of fashion, doesn´t make them ´histerico´, spoiled, or lazy (although I do believe there are some young guys here with a real spoiled mommy problem, but that´s my own personal opinion based on a lot more than how they dress and walk).

You must be unaware of the whole "metro" craze in America. Not sure where you visited in the USA, but men in NYC and L.A. have incredible style.

But I could care less. I wear dickies work pants and free t-shirts. I don't buy into fashion or being a label whore. I wear what is comfortable, affordable and lasts. And if someone wants to judge my character by what I wear than it is their loss for being superficial. Feel free to judge books by their covers.

Can you explain the culturally lazy part? I see far more people hanging around in parks sipping mate during the work day compared to any park in the USA during the work day.

arty said:
worst fashion here are the "mc hammer pants" I see chicks wearing.. unreal.

LOL, my gf has one pair for those. She don't like them, only wears them because she's pregnant. I think they're alright though.

Back