What's Wrong with the Young Guys in BA??

KatharineAnn said:
I think the men have better fashion sense than most American men, who wear sweat pants and 3 times too big t-shirts and sports-sweatshirts or even jerseys (good god) everywhere. It´s impossible to appreciate American men who might HAVE a nice body because it is hidden. Argentines at least flaunt what they have (when they have it), and do have it more often than Americans because they aren´t so goddamn overweight. And no one is more lazy culturally than the American, and I wonder what on earth gives you the impression that young Argentine men are, in general, lazy. They don´t appear to be workaholics to me, but most of them work harder than their American counterparts from what I´ve seen.

So ridiculous. Your America is certainly not mine.

ssr said:

In the midst of an informational and research feeding frenzy on the obesity epidemic, statistics are easy to come by. The most widely disseminated CDC research statistics on American obesity tell us that 63% of adult Americans have a Body Mass Index (BMI) in excess of 25.0 and are therefore overweight; more than a quarter surpass 30.0, having been declared obese. And perhaps the most riveting statistics concern obesity in kids: research shows that childhood obesity has more than tripled over the past two decades.

http://www.americansportsdata.com/obesityresearch.asp

What's your America? ;)

orwellian said:
In the midst of an informational and research feeding frenzy on the obesity epidemic, statistics are easy to come by. The most widely disseminated CDC research statistics on American obesity tell us that 63% of adult Americans have a Body Mass Index (BMI) in excess of 25.0 and are therefore overweight; more than a quarter surpass 30.0, having been declared obese. And perhaps the most riveting statistics concern obesity in kids: research shows that childhood obesity has more than tripled over the past two decades.

What's your America? ;)

Hah! Yes, statistics are easy to come by.

Can someone please explain the lady hammer pants to me? Are they entirely local, and relatively native, or a recent trend, and do they appear in other cultures? Do they contain diapers? Do portenas find them flattering? I've discovered or made up answers to most other questions about portenos, but this one continues to stump. Please advise.

ssr said:

Um, are you unaware that America has the greatest obesity problem of the world? You may be a fancy NYC or LA city person but I have news for you, most Americans don´t live in NYC or LA and are not metrosexuales, and how do they tend to dress? Rather informally, and it´s not so attractive. And wearing sports clothes and pajamas to class in school and university, for example, is totally okay. Professors at uni wear jeans and t-shirts. A lot more informal in general.

I didn´t ¨visit¨ somewhere in the USA - I´ve lived there most of my life and have been to many different cities and areas of the US, and excepting NYC, people are generally more or less how I´ve described. Of course, I never did hang out with the ¨metro¨ rich yuppie crowd, so that may be the problem here. But then again, I don´t hang out in that crowd in Buenos Aires either!

orwellian said:

What's your America? ;)

BMI measure is completely meaningless. Are you aware that according to BMI Brad Pitt is overweight? I know guys who lift a lot and have six-packs and low body fat but would be considered morbidly obese if you follow BMI. I'll trust my eyes, thank you. There are plenty of human blimps in the US, but the comparison doesn't hold up really...

The US has its share of problems among the youth. Young American women, I mean the ones who live on the coasts, are usually complete beasts imo and no sane man would choose them over even histerica Argentinian girls. A lot of American boys are fat losers with no potential who spend all day playing computer games.

That said the US is a big place. NY and LA will have a very different character from Dallas or Indianapolis. In the coastal cities men have the so-called "metrosexual" style...not my thing, but at least it's an effort. In the Midwest and in much of the South, despite the occasional human blimps, the young play a lot of sports and look very healthy/manly; they're the ones who make the US military run. My point is in no particular region do you see middle-class young dudes walking around looking like they've essentially given up, I mean in such numbers as you do here in BA: slumped over, with a dull/mean look in the eye, unshaved, with mullet and a t-shirt hanging over a pot belly. And yes this is an outward sign of what they're like...they act like momma's boys and are stand-offish. Give me a break, I'm not supposed to notice this?

This is extremely depressing especially, again, when I compare them to the older gentlemen I see walking in BA or at some of the older cafes, who are really impressive and have a wonderful dignity. They're the ones who built this city...

ssr said:
Hah! Yes, statistics are easy to come by.

What is your point, are you saying that the statistics I posted is wrong? It's government statistics. And like KatharineAnn says, it's common knowledge that America has the biggest population of obese people in the world.

Carolina Girl said:
En Argentina la obesidad según cifras oficiales está entre el 55 al 60 % de la población.

Argentina not far behind...

http://www.prensalatinalasvegas.com/2009-12/08-233.htm

Please, your source is "Prensa Latina Las Vegas"? Just because you google and find something that fits your opinion, doesn't make it so.

pandulf.ironhead said:
BMI measure is completely meaningless. Are you aware that according to BMI Brad Pitt is overweight? I know guys who lift a lot and have six-packs and low body fat but would be considered morbidly obese if you follow BMI. I'll trust my eyes, thank you. There are plenty of human blimps in the US, but the comparison doesn't hold up really...

It's not meaningless. It's not the best way to measure weight problems, I agree. Measuring the level of fat would be better but the only statistic in the general population that is carried out is by weight.
And provide me with a source that Brad Pitt would be obese please. If he's 5' 11 then he would have to weigh more than 210 pounds.

SFMike said:
Can someone please explain the lady hammer pants to me? Are they entirely local, and relatively native, or a recent trend, and do they appear in other cultures? Do they contain diapers? Do portenas find them flattering? I've discovered or made up answers to most other questions about portenos, but this one continues to stump. Please advise.

They are very popular in Europe, that's all I know.

I agree with some points of the original post as I see many cases through my daily work life of young men completely lacking in any drive and with lackluster dress sense. There is a slothliness aparent in the youth and this is encouraged by a junkfood lifestyle as bad as the USA . I do not agree that men here have better bodies than elsewhere as only a very small minority seem to seriously take sports and also the diet is very high in calories . This is a world wide problem as junk food becomes the main supply of energy for the population.

The most important attribute a man has is motivation and hope for the future and there is a problem here with the lack of these qualities in the younger men. What is wrong I do not know as I am not a sociologist but I believe that the eduation system is always the key

Back