What's your line of work? AKA - What does everyone do here?

i produce indie movies and recently am trying my hand at script writing.

I have my own online marketing firm. Clients mostly in the USA. My employees are mostly Americans who live in BA.

If you ask how we get our clients (given we're in Argentina, and our clients are in the US), the answer is: [a] we don't: we have very few clients because we find most people who want to hire us really annoying, so this question really isn't relevant!; word of mouth (we've never advertised ourselves) just because we do an amazing job so word has spread with clients recommending us to others; and [c] frequent trips to the US to always meet new people (going to LA on Wednesday for example!).

hannstew said:
Queso, I work for Baker Hughes in drilling and evaluations.

Smcali, i have been there 23 years. Our main office is based in Houston but because I am a rotator and dont work during the time off, I can be based anywhere really. When I am working, I go where needed, anywhere from Kazakhstan to Bolivia, currently in Colombia.

Ah very cool. I have a couple of buddies I worked with at R&B who came from Baker Hughes.

I did a lot of traveling for R&B in the 90s installing equipment and software we'd written, training the crews, etc. Mostly semi-submersibles and drillships, but a few jackups here and there, mostly in the ugliest places in the world those. I'd spend anywhere from weeks to months in an area before going back to Houston. I always envied guys like you who lived as expats, but R&B didn't have any foreign-based expat IT folk, always using locals or screaming for help from afar. Our offices weren't very technically advanced as a result, in many cases.

I jumped at coming down here when my partner and I identified Argentina as a closer source for outsourcing than a place like India, and with better results.

I could finally live as an expat! And that I enjoy very much, even with problems here. It may just be getting time to find another country to be an expat in though.

MorganF said:
...[a] we don't: we have very few clients because we find most people who want to hire us really annoying, so this question really isn't relevant!...

I have a friend who is a very saavy business individual. He once told me the key to success and having a happy business is being able to identify troublesome customers and declining to work for them before they become trouble. Best business practices.

We run a software development shop serving clean energy companies in the US and Europe. business is booming, so send all of your developer friends to us! We personally split our time between here and California as we have local managers.

I'm a classically trained actor teaching at the moment. I'm teaching in both languages and love it. While technique is more rough and ready here, the imagination of my students is inspiring. I compliment this teaching with language teaching. The wife is on tour internationally.

I am a ship surveyor. I audit ocean going ships ( carrying petrol, chemical and gas) visiting Latin American ports. So I travel quite a bit within South America. Oil Majors are my employers.

I show companies how to improve their Customer Exprience (think of it as customer service on steroids) across all channels; retail, etail, web, call center, chat, social media, etc. I design and then manage that process for them to drive increases in loyalty and sales.

In my spare time between 12midnight and 6am I'm a writer; travel, fiction and am working on my first script.

Back