When will life return to normal?

.......I agree with the belief that underlies your 'prepper' philosophy, as a species we have grown to be too big and too destructive of our world. Nature is fighting back and thinning our herd.

My belief, exactly. Thanks for putting it in such clear terms.

As for "preppers", let me point out that no matter how much we prepare, we are all dependent on the outside world. My country place could be self-sufficient food-wise, but I still depend on electricity to operate the well pump.

There's no such thing as saving oneself in a collapsing society. As someone once put it: "Gentlemen, we must hang together because, if we don't, we will surely hang separately"

The ARG economy has been in shambles long before the COVID-19 pandemic. Yet the ingenuity and resiliency of so many locals never ceases
to amaze me.

Its no more about USD versus Arg,

Its not even about banks going broke.

Its not having access to work or absolutely any money

This is about widespread crime and total chaos.

I'm hoping that they end the quarantine on the proposed date, or maybe a week or so later, but I don't think things will go back to normal at all. Perhaps a 2-day week for schools? Or perhaps two weeks of relative normality, then a couple of weeks more of quarantine?

Perhaps they could apply restrictions when cases go above a certain amount, then relax them, reapply them, etc., to try and prevent the health system being overloaded.

So many people here are on the breadline, working in the informal economy, they're going to have to work somehow. And I'm genuinely worried about the economy here. How can Argentina seriously cope with a lengthy quarantine? I've got a feeling they'll stop the official quarantine but just beg people to stay indoors as much as possible.

And kissing in greeting and sharing mate will definitely be out for a year or more!

I agree with Perry, it is not survivable to be locked down for many weeks and into months. Sorry, but the Argentine people being resourceful won't cut it because when money runs out, it runs out. When that does happen the situation will get significantly more tense in my opinion and if quarantine extends into late April and May, some serious decisions will have to be made. People cannot be contained indefinately, I just don't see how it's a workable solution.

Let's hope the recent positive signs in China can provide some light at the end of the tunnel for other countries. I beleive no new internal cases in China since Thursday.

More than the deadliness of COVID-19 (which is still debatable), I think the most concerning situation is that the virus has forced upon us questions it seems our society was not prepared to answer.

And, how much is it going to be changed from the way it was?

I have been reading the board and I have been deep in thought lately. Wondering when, if ever, life will get back to normal and will there be any major changes to it.

I conclude that life will get back to "NORMAL" at some future point in time, but there will be changes. Changes in, healthcare, new travel procedures, people's priorities and habits, supply chains to name a few.

I would be interested to know your thoughts on this topic. There isn't a whole lot to do right now except to stay in one spot, be somewhat isolated and hope and pray.

Thanks, I am looking forward to reading what you have to share.

what two great questions. Wonderful questions. My wife and I were supposed to arrive in BA a few days ago from California. This is the second time in my long life that I have had to suspend an important activity due to a force out of my control. The first was around 1970 when college classes where suspended for a few days due to resistance to the Vietnam war.

I will ponder your questions all day because they require some thinking. Right now I was hoping that life would go back to how it was, but it may never do so and I have. No idea what the new life order maybe like. Wow.

How will people survive? More will die from starvation and suicide than the virus if they extend this for a few months . all businesses will collapse except the very few that cater for food and medicines . Argentina is a informal economy and if people cannot make their living how can they continue
Argentina produce food for 400 millions and we are 40. The government has a wide freedom to rule the crisis.
We also produce oil and coal and nobody is using it.
The government can take control of any industry that is needed under a crisis by the supply law.
China is having a break and its production can solver medical lacks in Argentina as soon as they need food. We are in a better situation than Europe because of the low population, we are better than the US for the free public medical health system.
These day a donation from China is arriving only for hospital.

The ARG economy has been in shambles long before the COVID-19 pandemic. Yet the ingenuity and resiliency of so many locals never ceases
to amaze me. Currently ARG is on the ascending number of cases on the curve. With every increment of 15 days the gov't can loosen or tighten the mandatory restrictions based on the efficacy of the results at each stage.

I am ignoring the rest of your post....
As soon as they stopped paying the debt. There are not major issues that cannot be solved.

My belief, exactly. Thanks for putting it in such clear terms.

As for "preppers", let me point out that no matter how much we prepare, we are all dependent on the outside world. My country place could be self-sufficient food-wise, but I still depend on electricity to operate the well pump.

There's no such thing as saving oneself in a collapsing society. As someone once put it: "Gentlemen, we must hang together because, if we don't, we will surely hang separately"

Hmmmm thanks for the metal spark I suppose I should get some solar panels etc.

Consider the current situation as normalcy and make the best of it.

Adopt, adapt and overcome.

The virus is not going anywhere, it is now part of this world.

Worry about supplies, health and safety.

Plan your trips to the outside world and interactions with others.

Reach out to close by friends that will be able to react immediately and help you in an emergency. For instance if you don't want to return home. As per in entraderas.

Think for whom are you willing to risk your life (you never know what might happen) in case of a desperate call.

Think positive.

Iz

No one knows what's going to happen. We're all speculating.

Countries can't be under mass quarantine forever. People will starve to death. Countries are trying to buy time at the moment.

The good news is information is being shared across the world about different treatment protocols, prevention measures, biotech companies, universities & governments are researching vaccines. Things may get worse in the next few weeks, but I'm optimistic that all of this trial and error plus research will bear some fruit. It's hard to see things going back to 100% normal until there is an effective vaccine that is widely distributed or the more depressing outcome that just the virus spreads enough that their is herd immunity.

Back