Where And When Do Expats Meet In Person In Ba?

I have to admit, it would drive me nuts to sit at a table where everyone is messaging or browsing the internet with their phones.

Thats the most disgusting things people do. That is, look up at their mobile phones when meeting someone face to face or hoping something would show up in their mobile phone. Rather than being avaliable at the moment, for the person in front of them. To be there 100% and making a difference!

Thats the most disgusting things people do. That is, look up at their mobile phones when meeting someone face to face or hoping something would show up in their mobile phone. Rather than being avaliable at the moment, for the person in front of them. To be there 100% and making a difference!

Exactly it ceviche! Having been here for well over a decade, I get to miss hearing people speaking without a latino accent and having to explain jokes. I don't get out much because of work and family but when I do it would really suck if the group is glued to a screen.

It's an obsession I tell you and a bad mannered one at that.
Not just saying this because I'm the wrong side of fifty, but damn does it get on my tits.
My sister in law is constantly glued to hers even during family asados, so much so that the other day I had to say to her 'Hey I'm talking to you!'

It's an obsession I tell you and a bad mannered one at that.
Not just saying this because I'm the wrong side of fifty, but damn does it get on my tits.
My sister in law is constantly glued to hers even during family asados, so much so that the other day I had to say to her 'Hey I'm talking to you!'
It seems that everyone got the joke (hooray for us!) but just to be absolutely certain that no one confused things: my snarky comments about being glued to screens in public places do not apply to the coffee chats. They are exactly the opposite of what Gringoboy's lamenting above.

What I like best about them (and miss them a lot till I get back to BsAs) is that it's all face-to-face conversation. I suppose you could say it's what cocktail parties try to be but don't often achieve. I try to rotate around the table(s) to be able to talk to everyone, but it's hard: you have to leave one interesting conversation to begin another.

But that's a good problem and I'm looking forward to reintegrating with the group.

Human interaction in the digital age. Are you kidding?
Once upon a time in a far away place people would share/laugh/cry together.....

Ha. We still do that, just not limited to same time, same space, or same medium. And we actually do this more -- I now also laugh/share/cry with friends/family/strangers on WhatsApp/Skype/Quora/BAexpats. Perhaps it makes our in-person interactions more intimate and important (e.g., someone actually took the time/effort to visit me)

I volunteer the table dynamics format used by another Expat Group. At the meeting you are assigned to a table after 10 minutes table participants rotate and you move to another table, to interact with other members. Five 10 minute rotations take place during the evening.. :rolleyes:

Read this awhile back, and it stuck with me.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/27/opinion/sunday/stop-googling-lets-talk.html?emc=edit_bg_20150929&nl=booming&nlid=35167394&_r=2

Until someone writes an Emily-Post-style rule book, we are relying on people's innate sense of good manners, when it comes to ignoring the ones you're with while constantly reading and answering texts (and often smiling or giggling at some private reaction). Remember when cell phones were new, and people who wished to seem important loudly blasted their private business to all in hearing range? I'm hoping that bad manners in the texting department will eventually follow the same path to extinction.

Back