Where Can I Get Pesos To My Dollar Safely?

Ok, apparently Brazil is allowed to print ARS as well and they print numbers horizontal in black. They were fine. The $50 notes I received (totalling $1000 ARS) however is very suspect . . . I will update again once I see whether or not stores, etc will take them.

I have used that place in las canitas myself... yes update when you can-- i would like to know if they gave you fake pesos... thanks

Ok, apparently Brazil is allowed to print ARS as well and they print numbers horizontal in black. They were fine. The $50 notes I received (totalling $1000 ARS) however is very suspect . . . I will update again once I see whether or not stores, etc will take them.

The bills with the numbers in black are ok and you will not have a problem. Look at the bill and you will see the following safety marks as a regular Argentine bill. The 'sewn in' metallic strip with the BCRA letters on it. A watermark of Roca's portrait, with the letters JAR -in the black bills the letters are a bit off center, but they are there,- a watermark of six to seven horizontal stripes. If you see those marks the bill is ok and it will be accepted.
I have gotten two fake bills only in my 16 months here... One 50 pesos and one 100 pesos and the work is so shoddy that you can tell it is fake from a mile away. Still, they make for a great souvenir. When you are counting your bills at the cueva count them on the side of the water mark and look at the ink on the 100 number and at the metallic strip. If you don't see the letters or the green ink is too sparkly, It is a fake. If you are a regular, or bring in a lot of cash, they will exchange your bill -after all they want your greens,- BUT given that the operation you are doing there is illegal, just as their business, It is pretending there is honor among thieves. If you get 1 or 2 fake bills it is not that bad.

I have used that place in las canitas myself... yes update when you can-- i would like to know if they gave you fake pesos... thanks

Ok, I've had no problem using the 50 pesos. I was worried because they gave me all new bills and the paper seemed thinner, and the ink was sloppy (it looked like it bled in some areas). The paper didn't have the same threads and yellow threads you see in 100 pesos. Anyway, all is well with the money that place gave me in las canitas! Sorry for the false alarm.

The bills with the numbers in black are ok and you will not have a problem. Look at the bill and you will see the following safety marks as a regular Argentine bill. The 'sewn in' metallic strip with the BCRA letters on it. A watermark of Roca's portrait, with the letters JAR -in the black bills the letters are a bit off center, but they are there,- a watermark of six to seven horizontal stripes. If you see those marks the bill is ok and it will be accepted.
I have gotten two fake bills only in my 16 months here... One 50 pesos and one 100 pesos and the work is so shoddy that you can tell it is fake from a mile away. Still, they make for a great souvenir. When you are counting your bills at the cueva count them on the side of the water mark and look at the ink on the 100 number and at the metallic strip. If you don't see the letters or the green ink is too sparkly, It is a fake. If you are a regular, or bring in a lot of cash, they will exchange your bill -after all they want your greens,- BUT given that the operation you are doing there is illegal, just as their business, It is pretending there is honor among thieves. If you get 1 or 2 fake bills it is not that bad.

I'm really curious what a fake 50 pesos looks like now . . . The ones they gave me were brand new and the paper seemed thinner. You don't see the same threads in the paper. If you look closely at the 100 pesos you will see threads and random yellow threads. Anyway, I guess I should feel lucky that I've had no problems with fake currency . . .

I'm really curious what a fake 50 pesos looks like now . . . The ones they gave me were brand new and the paper seemed thinner. You don't see the same threads in the paper. If you look closely at the 100 pesos you will see threads and random yellow threads. Anyway, I guess I should feel lucky that I've had no problems with fake currency . . .
The two fakes I have are a color copy. They are not even well cut and you can see the border lines. They even refinished them with markers. I tell you, they look like something a 9 year old could do! On the Sol place I have never had an issue. Pretty well known and safe.

Back