Where else to live?

If you run out of ideas than can try with central Euope. As for Eastern Europe - it is very expensive there and they're still recovering from soviet era. Kiev, Moscow or Petersburg are quite nice, but incredibly expensive and the society is so materialistic! I mean, no one will even take you seriously if you don't drive Audi A8 or at least Lexus!

Central Europe is much better, more developed, cheaper and laid back. You can find all the stuff from around Europe in shops (cheese, wines, ham, etc), eating out is half BA price and communication with the rest of Europe is great (cheap flights, less than 100 USD wherever you want). No problem with parties, concerts (Rolling Stones visit once in a while ;) and entertainment. Culture is okay and developing too. I lived in Warsaw for 6 years and was happy with it, very green city, parks everywhere. The main drawback is winter - snowy and long with temperatures between -10 and 10. As for Polish cities - also Krakow and Wroclaw. In other countries you can try Prague, Budapest (lovely!), Bratislava. Bulgaria is okay and Croatia is FANTASTIC - beautiful and warm. ... Still the best place to live in Europe is now Berlin.

I also lived in Bristol, UK and fell in love with the city - highly recommend

I have been working in several places since I graduated.....

Switzerland, Asia, Middle East, and now Argentina... somehow being here makes me miss home more but not prepared to go back yet. Next stop, I hope I can live/ work in the US. I do not like NY that much ... prefer the West Coast but guess in my line of work, Texas would be more likely. After US/ Canada, not sure where else... somewhere with low tax for sure.

mariano-BCN said:
Chabon: 1500 - 2000 euros rent are flats for expats/yuppies or short term habitants. I pay here 370 euros for a two room-space and 140 euros for all the costs including internet.
If you know the way here it's not that difficult to find a cheap place to live. Other things are expensive compared to Spain or Portugal, like food, taxes or services. But then again I found BsArs terrible expensive.
IN Amsterdam you don't need a car not even a card for public transport, everything is very easily reached by bike. The quality is life is great, respect in daily life is not something strange like in BsArs and things work more or less as expected.
The annoying thing here is the long winter and weather, yes. That's why I try to escape the winters here while staying elsewhere.

I've traveled fairly extensively around Europe and definitely I'd say Amsterdam is probably one of the more affordable places all things considered. The housing is going to be your biggest expense but if you don't live in the heart of the city in touristy areas, you can get something not too pricey.

My friend lives near Mercatorplein and I know it formally was an undesirable area but I can't believe how much it has changed over the years. There is a nice plaza there with cafes/restaurants and Rembrandtpark is just 2 blocks away. I don't think she is paying too much and she is only 10 minutes from the heart of the city by Tram, but honestly she just rides her bike everywhere like many locals.

I actually found the cost of food there in the grocery stores to be VERY reasonable to most of Europe. (The only slightly annoying thing is they don't take credit cards at big grocery stores like Albert Heijn's). Also, they have an assortment of restaurants with fairly tasty food that is very reasonable. Sure they have expensive restaurants but you can eat affordable if you wanted to too.

As others mentioned, the transportation system is great or you can just get a cheap bike to get around.

The people are friendly there and it's a beautiful city. The only thing that would be a killer for me is the weather..it can be depressing being so cloudy so often and the winters would be annoying. But really I found the cost of living there very reasonable.

Like someone else mentioned...everything works fairly well there.

I have traveled in over a 100 countries in last 15 years and lived in about 8 of them.

Basis my travel experience, I feel Asuncion is a gem of a place to live. Most specifically for single men, who would like to learn Spanish, have a online work or ability to start business in Paraguay.

Hong Kong is another gem of a place but albeit very expensive.

I also have very positive views of living in Brisbane.

Dubai is very interesting too if you can tolerate hot weather.

Dominican Republic is another option for single men.

Georgia in Europe is very good to live too as a tourist cos they give a 365 day visa on arrival.

Back