Which bank to open an account with?

Zissou

Registered
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which bank I should open an account with (with DNI).

I'm looking for which:

- offers most convenience debit payment, online banking, bill (which would be cell phone - Personal, credit card) payment
- best credit card
- best discounts (eg at supermarkets or with airlines)
- and lastly - if any offers any hope of transferring funds from either paypal or a Canadian bank account (not holding my breath but just in case)

Thanks!

HSBC is best in class in my opinion. HSBC has a support telephone line in English if you require it.

I would go with HSBC or Citi. Stay away from state run banks like Banco de la Nacion if you can help it.

I've never had what I would call a good experience with a bank here, some have been worse than others. HSBC once deposited a wire transfer I received from the US into another person's account and then expected me to find out who it was. I had to raise hell to get it straightened out and almost lost my 30% boleta deposit on the apartment I was purchasing. Santander Rio never did any of that, but they went from charging me a monthly fee of $40 pesos to $120 all of a sudden with no explanation and gave me a really hard time to close the account. Banco Patagonia took all kinds of fees out of my account until I did an audit and demanded via carta documento an explanation of the fees and only then did they refund me almost $700 pesos. So whomever you chose, just review your monthly statement VERY carefully and if they do dupe you call them on it!

HSBC was good for me, but Santander Rio gave me a credit card with little or no problem, I have had an account with HSBC for 4 years or more, and generally I like them better, they are less crowded and seem to be more professional. However they did not give me a credit card...

Do you recommend HSBC for safety deposit boxes? Does HSBC allow foreigners to have bank accounts? Do you know the cost to wire money back to the states? I know there are a lot of new laws. Is there a new thread with this information already?

Many thanks!

I had a safe deposit box at HSBC on Cabildo near José Hernandez, I only kept it for important papers, such as escritura, passport, birth cert, etc. I eventually closed it as the price went up to $675 PER QUARTER, and this was 2 years ago. I now have an escribano holiding these papers for me in a fireproof cabinet in his office. My old safe deposit box in New York City cost $32 U$D per year!

Back