• Microcentro

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Retiro

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other- tell us in the comments!

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
Rease said:
I feel like Palermo and San Telmo are the main expat barrios, but I am curious to see if I am wrong.

I realize I did not list all 48 barrios, so id you live in a smaller one, try to pick the one closest to you and tell us more in the comments!

Also, in the comments, I would love to here why you chose that barrio.

I chose Palermo due to its proximity to my work, the safety and the personality.

Not that long ago the winners were Palermo, Recoleta, and Belgrano - at the moment this poll seems to be going the same way.

Let the palermo bashing by wanna be che guevera types begin :O

i live in cabellito by the way

Doctor_Stupid said:
thats the one :p

but i thought it was named after a horse?

Psst, it was a joke. Cabellito would mean 'little hair', Caballito would mean 'little horse'. One letter goes a long way! ;)

yeah i know that, from the time i tried to buy onion cebolla (?) and they kept thinking i meant something else :O

We've lived in Colegiales for nearly a year now, and love it. It's a real neighborhood, with a nice balance of quiet residential streets and main avenues containing all the amenities and shops you'd ever need. We're super close to the D Line (often remarked to be the best subway line in the city), and can get downtown or to any of the popular neighborhoods within 20-30 minutes. Lots of good bus lines too. Parks and lakes are a quick jog away.
Palermo Hollywood is within walking distance, so we can easily go to all those trendy restaurants without living amongst the glitterati. [If you're into that scene, that's great - but having experienced living in Soho NYC, I'd rather live in Brooklyn. Less fake, more real.] Besides, the grocery prices here in Colegiales are literally 20% cheaper than they are in Palermo.
A comprehensive study done two years ago found it to have the highest quality of life out of all the neighborhoods in BA.

Like many foreigners, we started out in San Telmo. As much as I love the architecture, very few "real" people live there (uh-oh.. here come the comments!) What I mean is, the streets are deserted on weekends (except for the feria on Defensa which is fun for a while, but becomes simply annoying when you're trying to get through the crowds to your building). There's a definite lack of services for residents living there - no large grocery stores, few pharmacies, etc.

I'd like to try living in Abasto or somewhere a bit more working-class, but for now we're happy in middle-class Colegiales.

Back