which documents to bring for first time DNI appointment?

I had my appointment this week (in Entre Rios) and only needed my passport with my visa stamp in it.

I also did my daughter's and while we were told my husband and I both had to be there and expected some kind of extra paperwork, for her it was just her passport/visa and birth certificate.

What were the results? Did you get the DNI the same day or were there extra steps after?

We got two pieces of paper with the DNI number on one and a bar code to take to the local nacional bank to pay the $300 pesos. They said the hard copy of the DNI arrives within 60 days. But with the number you can already do many things that you need a DNI for without having the physical cards. We are buying a house and they are able to put my DNI and name on the title now that I have the number.

i think DNI printing is waaaaay behind. I'm still waiting for mine after 30 days.
Yes, they told me it would take 60 days but i'm anticipating longer given holidays etc. Not sure why the physical card matters though as much as just having the number which you get right away. Or am I missing something?

Yes, they told me it would take 60 days but i'm anticipating longer given holidays etc. Not sure why the physical card matters though as much as just having the number which you get right away. Or am I missing something?

The physical card is for bragging rights lol

I have a couple other potentially stupid questions. Does the DNI just say Extranjero? Or will it also say "Student?"

Also, I know this is a long shot but can you travel within Mercosur passport free with temp residency DNI?

Physical card is useful when you're buying things at the supermercado with the card.
Also traveling en la ruta. If you're stopped by anyone its easier to hand over the DNI than a passport.

But yes, the paper with your DNI on it is good enough for buying a house or car.

I have a couple other potentially stupid questions. Does the DNI just say Extranjero? Or will it also say "Student?"

Also, I know this is a long shot but can you travel within Mercosur passport free with temp residency DNI?
It will say extranero and won't be good for passport free travel. If your residency status is permanent, you can travel to chile without a passport.

I am unsure about Uruguay, although i suspect no.

It will say extranero and won't be good for passport free travel. If your residency status is permanent, you can travel to chile without a passport.

I am unsure about Uruguay, although i suspect no.

I figured. It was worth asking though.

Did they ask you for that proof of address where you have to get a note from the police office? Or were you just able to put an address down without them verifying it?

Back