which documents to bring for first time DNI appointment?

I had my appointment this week (in Entre Rios) and only needed my passport with my visa stamp in it.
You appointment in Entre Rios was to finalize the permanent residency? For the DNI? Or both? I'm wondering how the process worked having received the visa ahead of time through a consulate, and then entering Argentina for follow-up trámites. How many steps are needed post-consulate?

Keep in mind that if you have a contact in Argentina with an Argentine card that the price is really half. It was also "600" USD for my visa. But I had a friend with an Argentine CC and I paid in pesos the equivalent of around 280 USD

You appointment in Entre Rios was to finalize the permanent residency? For the DNI? Or both? I'm wondering how the process worked having received the visa ahead of time through a consulate, and then entering Argentina for follow-up trámites. How many steps are needed post-consulate?
my appointment was just for the DNI. The entire permanent residency visa part was done in chicago. However the DNI is apparently the gold and what i will show to get in and out of the country apparently more even than my US passport with visa. But having the permanent residency done first made the DNI very simple and straightforward, though I can't speak to doing it any other way of course.

This is super helpful. Thank you. My hopes are that the system has a chance of working like this in another town en el interior. How did you request a turno? Phone? Email? Twitter? In person?

If it's your first DNI you can make an appointment online here:

I made an appointment online using this link given here on the forum and felt very proud of myself, however, when my family and I drove the hour and 15 minutes to the appointment we were told that the woman who does the DNIs was on vacation. I charmed them into giving me the phone numbers so that I could call and confirm that she was back, and after a few weeks of calling I finally got through to someone who confirmed her work schedule for the following week and then we just showed up with no appointment. They remembered us and gave us no issue whatsoever. So in the end, I feel like you can make this appointment online but if you can find a phone number I'd call first and confirm that the person responsible for doing the tramite is actually going to be there;)

I made an appointment online using this link given here on the forum and felt very proud of myself, however, when my family and I drove the hour and 15 minutes to the appointment we were told that the woman who does the DNIs was on vacation. I charmed them into giving me the phone numbers so that I could call and confirm that she was back, and after a few weeks of calling I finally got through to someone who confirmed her work schedule for the following week and then we just showed up with no appointment. They remembered us and gave us no issue whatsoever. So in the end, I feel like you can make this appointment online but if you can find a phone number I'd call first and confirm that the person responsible for doing the tramite is actually going to be there;)
That doesn't make sense to me. It was a panel of workers for the DNI. It was like waiting your turn at the bank.

That doesn't make sense to me. It was a panel of workers for the DNI. It was like waiting your turn at the bank.
Did you do it in Buenos Aires? In Entre Rios, the immigration office is pretty small and clearly specialized. While there were about four people working there the first time we went, none of them knew how to process DNIs. Apparently in that office there is only one woman who does it.

For my permanent residency DNI appointment (marriage to an Argentine) I brought:
  • My legalized by the consulate and translated background check
  • My legalized by the consulate and translated birth certificate
  • My marriage certificate (issued here in CABA)
  • The info page of my passport (she wanted it to be translated, something I don't recall seeing online, so I had to do that in a followup)
  • A copy of my husband's DNI (she wanted the physical one for some reason)
  • A bill or police domicile certificate (My Cablevision bill was enough and was in my name)
  • My proof of payment of the Radex fees
  • My passport to see the stamp for when I entered the country
As the moon was a waxing gibbous, I didn't need to sacrifice a virgin, but your mileage may vary.

Joking aside, I had to upload a picture of my husband's DNI... which was somehow valid when a photocopy wasn't, and had to get my passport info page translated in to Spanish. This was in May, at the central office in Retiro. Fingers crossed your appointment goes smoother!
I understood that the birth certificate and background check had to have an apostille. Are you from a country that signed at the Hague Convention? It would make things much easier if I only needed to have them legalized.
Hi Delaluz,
Just read your post ..re: you applying for your DNI last year, what was the outcome ? all good ?
I`m in a similar situation married to an Argentina Gal..I`m Australian...been here 2 yrs , should have done this sooner !! Rgds Alan

I’m American and the process was super chill in entre ríos. I was using Sede Central in CABA for a while. That was a nightmare. Once I moved to Entre Ríos every thing became easier and simpler.

DNI, citizenship, driver’s license. So much less drama. Although I can’t eat pastrami nearly as often.

Back