which documents to bring for first time DNI appointment?

I can confirm that I didn't need anything more than my passport and confirmation of appointment.

@SecretShopper
Best of luck! I have a question if you don't mind, how much legal stay they grant with student visa? And does it have to be renewed every year? And what happens if the student is not regular? Thank you!

@SecretShopper
Best of luck! I have a question if you don't mind, how much legal stay they grant with student visa? And does it have to be renewed every year? And what happens if the student is not regular? Thank you!

First time you seem to be limited to a year. This is true even if your career is 4 years long, as is mine. After the first year migraciones will then extend for an additional 2 or 3 years. In the end, you should only need 1 renewal. I haven't investigated what that renewal process is like but obviously you'll need to still be enrolled.

Back in March when I had hope of getting the visa I actually started classes and attended virtually the first week. My first semester was 3 classes that only had 1 sessions per week each. You can actually just choose a night schedule and look for the remote class options. That's likely what I'll do. I obviously chose an easy subject.

Another thing to note is that at any private university here, I assume the public ones as well, you'll have to prove your fluency in Spanish. I had to meet virtually and have a 30 minute conversation, as well as a written test. So if you're not at a high enough level in Spanish then you can probably forget about the student visa as you don't get any docs until you check all the boxes.

@SecretShopper : Follow up question if you don't mind (and see this 1 year old thread again): Did I understand correctly that you completed your permanent residency through a consulate, and not within Argentina? I am looking to start the application process for the same -- permanent residency through marriage to an Argentine citizen -- during our next stay. But I hadn't heard about the possibility of doing it outside the country through an embassy or consulate.

@SecretShopper : Follow up question if you don't mind (and see this 1 year old thread again): Did I understand correctly that you completed your permanent residency through a consulate, and not within Argentina? I am looking to start the application process for the same -- permanent residency through marriage to an Argentine citizen -- during our next stay. But I hadn't heard about the possibility of doing it outside the country through an embassy or consulate.
I got permanent residence through the consulate. It’s visa 22a for family reunification, was quite straightforward to get the visa. Getting a DNI was another story.
Anyway it’s definitely possible but as I said on another thread it’s significantly more expensive than doing it in Argentina.
Probably something like $1000USD all told.

I got permanent residence through the consulate. It’s visa 22a for family reunification, was quite straightforward to get the visa. Getting a DNI was another story.
Anyway it’s definitely possible but as I said on another thread it’s significantly more expensive than doing it in Argentina.
Probably something like $1000USD all told.
Thanks for this insight. I've seen information about a family reunification visa. But I hadn't understood it as comparable or the same as the permanent residency. But that makes perfect sense. But yeah, that is a big price difference. $$ Wow. But depending on one's situation and timing/cost of travels to and from Argentina, it might be something to consider. After the experience of this pandemic, we want to minimize barriers to being able to actually go and stay in Argentina as needed.

I'm searching the forum for experiences about getting permanent residency through the designated consulate here in the U.S., before starting a potentially redundant one. Where can I find the thread you mentioned?

We did it through the consulate in Chicago and it was around $600 USD I believe. It was a pretty easy and straightforward process, much easier than the part we did through them of getting them to approve the "certificado de residencia" so that we could bring our stuff without paying duty on it. Especially in these times, it feels great to know that we have both US citizenship and permanent residency here in Argentina. Makes it a bit less complicated for now to come and go as we please.

Back