Which iphone to buy?

qpaso

Registered
With the new LTE bands it looks like there are 3 different models.

In the states there is a gsm (A1428 at+t) and a cdma (A1429 sprint & verizon) version available. So for those in the know, which one will work best in Argentina?

From what I can see the cdma one (A1429) will allow gsm roaming with a sim and offers more lte when in Europe etc.

Any reason why I shouldn´t go with this one?

Thanks!

qpaso said:
With the new LTE bands it looks like there are 3 different models.

In the states there is a gsm (A1428 at+t) and a cdma (A1429 sprint & verizon) version available. So for those in the know, which one will work best in Argentina?

From what I can see the cdma one (A1429) will allow gsm roaming with a sim and offers more lte when in Europe etc.

Any reason why I shouldn´t go with this one?

Thanks!

A1428

No question.

Argentina is a GSM country I believe (maybe there is one A1429 provider).

GSM is basically the world standard. I can't imagine why you would want a A1429/CDMA phone.

iPhone 5 draws criticism in China over map of Diaoyutais - CNA ENGLISH NEWS

Based on other reports, iPhone 5 users in Asia will in fact see two identical but separate sets of the Diaoyutais side-by-side on the map provided.

One is labeled the Diaoyutais at 25 degrees 45 minutes north latitude and 123 degrees 32 minutes east longitude, and the other is called the Senkakus at 25 degrees 44 minutes north latitude and 123 degrees 28 minutes east longitude.

Some users joked that it was Apple's effort to provide a diplomatic solution to the dispute between Japan and China over the island chain. The island chain has been under Japan's administration since 1972, but it is also claimed by Taiwan and China.
Apple said a solution to the Falklands dispute should be available with iPhone 6.

The A1429 version is for the us market and it switches/allows gsm with the sim card when roaming. I think the international A1429 is the same but the gsm is also enabled

LTE is probably years away in Argentina but the option for more bands using LTE has me thinking that it is a better option for traveling around. Hopefully the maps improve je

All of the unlocked iPhone 5s will work on all GSM 3G bands. The question is which LTE frequencies you want to bet on. LTE is NOT in argentina, and probably NOT coming anytime soon as Dave says but that doesn't mean you don't want to take advantage of it while traveling abroad in Uruguay or back home in north america or europe.

Sleuth said:
Make sure to note that no carrier in Argentina has a nano SIM yet, so the new iPhone 5 will not work here until those are released by the carriers.

LTE probably won't be here for quite some time.

You can cut any sim down to a nano sim, but need to be careful with it. Just like cutting a regular sim down to a micro sim. There are videos all over youtube showing you how...

Sorry to revive this. I am far from being a tech expert. Is this nano SIM thing for the iPhone 5S still an issue here? Can the 5S be used without any issues?

Back