Which things should I bring when I move from the US?

Wow, thanks for so much great & varied advice, everyone! This has given me some much-needed perspective! Anyone else who wants to jump in, please keep it coming, I want to make the most of it because I probably won't go back to the US for a loooong while.

Time to go start filling the suitcases (and emptying and re-packing and emptying and re-packing... ;)

P&J said:
Bring as much cash in dollars as possible, or as much as you are comfortable to carry.

hepdoll said:
... Time to go start filling the suitcases (and emptying and re-packing and emptying and re-packing... ;)
If you bring more than - say - US$ 20,000,000 I can help you find a husband, thus fixing the visa problem :cool::D

(Sorry, couldn't resist, am in that mood right now)

Underwear - and more than you think you'll need as clothes get battered here if you have to use the launderette. I always bring a huge stash of socks and pants with me when coming over, as well as all the technology money can buy. You have a good choice of tiny lacy thongs or massive granny knickers here, if you want anything in between you should bring them with you. I've found it very difficult to find good plain socks at a decent price as well so always bring those, though soon enough you won't be needing socks so you might get by with less.

Also bring an unlocked phone if you have one as they're expensive to buy here, especially if you want anything halfway decent.

The cash for apartments thing is SO important! If you do not bring dollars with, you will have to withdrawl money in pesos, which itself is a conversion, and then go to an exchange center in the mall and change back to dollars.

A couple of things that I thought of, that come up again and again-

Towels- Argentine towels are tiny, thin, and scratchy.
If you like a big, soft luxurious bath towel, bring one along.

Cooking pots- obviously, if you dont cook, this is irrelevant- but if you do like cooking, it might make sense to throw in a pot and a frying pan- You can go to Macy's in any mall in the USA, and get a decent set of stainless pots and pans, or even Calphalon, for about what one good pot will set you back here, and, in a city of 4 million, there are seemingly only about two stores that sell really good cookware at all.
We bought a set on sale at Macy's for just over a hundred bucks, packed it in and around our clothes, and have not been sorry at all.

Similar situation with good chef's knives- they are half or a third the price in the USA, and easy to find, while in BA, good ones may exist, but it will take a couple days work to find one.

One thing to remember- Internet shopping doesnt really work in Argentina.
You can shop online for local stuff, at sites like Mercado Libre- but the entire concept of next day shipping of any consumer good known to man, at discount prices, that americans have come to take for granted- it aint happening here. Chances of a shipment from North America making it to you here, in less than a month, and with less than 100% markup for taxes, fees, and shipping, are negligible.

You cant just click on that buy it now button, and expect books, or cds, clothes, makeup, shoes, or any of the thousands of items you get that way in the USA.
On the other hand, there are thousands of cute neighborhood stores all over BA, with actual people who really know something about what they sell, and are generally very nice. I am on a very friendly basis with my local picture framer, watch repair guy, hardware store, plumbing supply store, and electrical supply store, I have a couple different barbers I go to depending on mood and hair length, I know my greengrocer and meat guy and ice cream purveyor, my local electronics repair man (which, of course, doesnt even exist in the USA as a job category). When my wife goes in the neighborhood coffee bar, they begin preparing her espresso, as they know what she wants.
I have a particular antique store for furniture, another for glass chandeliers from the 50's, someone who sells kitchen supplies, another for custom upholstery and drapes, and on and on.
Its like going back in time 50 years for someone who grew up in an America of 7-11's, Targets, and K-Marts.
Yes, there are Malls here- although they are as much for the social promenade as shopping. But the malls have edgy local designers selling wacky stuff, (Check out Jessica Trosman) right next to Zara-which, incidentally, is a good place for cheap basics- jeans, sweaters, and, yes, the elusive sock.
Malls here, though, are still novelties for the wealthy- everyday commerce occurs in small local stores. Which often have very different stock from each other, or cute new old stock from 20 years ago.

I wish I would have brought a light jacket- not just a heavy one. I also think finding good women's razors is hard to find- but I brought mine with a ton of blades. I do wish I would have brought less shoes- as the ones here are great. Clothing is not super expensive and you can find fun pieces to go out in- so also not a huge deal. Overall- bring things that are expensive to buy in general and that you do not want to have to buy here. You can always buy your toiletries and tee shirts, socks and jeans, etc...... but electronics are expensive, jackets can be, etc.... so think in terms of what you can purchase cheaply and don't bring so many of those items.

You can buy real tampons here and also real peanut butter- nust hard to find.

Good luck!

Someone might be able to prove me wrong, but I've never found the following items:

Chapstick
Powered deodorant (like Degree)
A good toothbrush (Reach)
Good condoms (Trojans)
Good jeans

I'm sure there are more....

I second the sentiment to bring as much US cash as you can. If you bring under $10000, you don't have to declare it. Many of the apartments available for rent without a residency permit want US dollars, and taking Pesos from an ATM getting charged a conversion plus extraction fee, then taking another hit on conversion to USD is not an efficient way to do things.

Back