Who are the future BAEXPATS?

texxaslonghorn said:
For what it's worth, I was hardly making anything in Argentina. Now I've graduated law school and am making good money in the US. But, I was living just as nice of a life in BsAs and was just as happy.

Sure, everyone needs money to live, but money ain't everythign (and before everyone starts in with the many reasons I'm so very worng, this is just my opinion).

Regardless of all the "terrible problems" in Argentina, i can't wait to move back.

I started to read this thread earlier, stopped momentarily to make some coffee, and while waiting for the coffee to filter, I was thinking the exact the same thing as this poster. I'm glad someone said it. My life is also just as nice if not more so than when I lived in the States, and I'm making a fraction of the salary I made there. I probably wouldn't still be here if I hadn't married an Argentine, but after 4 years of really getting to know my new home, I am thankful for everything I have learned and find life to be quite nice. Perhaps simpler in a way, but nice. I will say that I understand the complaints of earning in pesos and not being able to save. That, for me alone, could be a reason to leave. I do earn in pesos, but we own our apartment and I feel that that is what divides a lot of people here. SO many Argentines tell me over and over again that it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to buy, so I feel very lucky. I can imagine being much more ready to head north, west, east, wherever if I felt I was working toward nothing.

SaraSara said:
With your attitude, I'm sure your life in Argentina will be rich in good experiences.

Having local connections makes ALL, I repeat, ALL the difference. Expats or permatourists who don't develop them see only the seedy side of Argentina, and are totally oblivious to the other side that makes living here worthwhile.

There is a parallel world of Argentines who are true friends, don't cheat each other, lend you thousands of dollars without even a handshake, offer help before you even ask, and take you in when you are feeling low.

Sadly, that world is not very receptive of expats - Argentines tend to stick to family and people they have known for a long time, and are generally uninterested in foreigners.

There are exceptions, like close friends Argentines made in a foreign university, or when a foreigner marries into the family. In that case, they are instantly accepted and integrated into the group. But unless there is an "in", people are not very open and show nothing beyond superficial politeness.

Thanks for that SaraSara :)

Yes - crazy as it sounds - I can't wait to be back down there again - but yes, I have a reason - and a very strong motivation - a lady I am deeply in love with and I am going crazy here counting the days until we are together again :)

fifs2 said:
John, you seem to have all the right reasons and attitude to succeed here. Can we make a date to check back in with you in 3 years? I think the fairweather expats tend to bow out on or before that time and the true stalwarts remain...Talk to you November 4th 2013!

Hi Fifs2 - its a date :) You can buy the coffee :)

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Most of those who posted in this thread are no longer here.

Conclusions?

I think that it would be those who would benefit the most with the least overhead. Returnee argentine citizens. I count myself among the first hoard... I didnt come here for the beef , or the minas...

steveinbsas said:
Just thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Most of those who posted in this thread are no longer here.

Conclusions?

That you are those that are still here are true stayers, Steve. ;)

And that I am an idiot because I read this thread for 10 mins before I realised it was an old thread (just thought I would share that).

Looks like I'm still here, apparently.
With the Argentine woman I love and it doesn't get any better than that.
I like old threads anyway, maybe that's just me....

Maybe some of them have ceased to be expats and became part of the crowd and are therefore not writing anymore ?
An expat is someone who defines themselves by where they are not," A German expat in BA " for example and to my mind is a way of putting distance between the country and oneself. Just something to ponder over a glass of malbec.

Definitely many expats have left the country (Mini, Fifs2 ...). Some others don't come here anymore (SaraSara, .. Too bad she left the forum btw).

Like in a couple during hard times, expats remaining by choice really love the country and its inhabitants.

Then will come a new cycle, BA will be cheap again, new expats will come, people will complain less...

etc etc !

Hi I thought I would give you a perspective on someone who is considering moving to BsAs.

I live in London, I have been fortunate enough to be able to buy my own place here, if I were renting, I could expect to have to pay £740 GBP per month for a bedroom in a shared flat to live reasonably (and only reasonably mind!) near the city centre.

As it is for around £275,000 GBP I could only get a two bedroom flat, only reasonably near the centre. It is ex social housing.

I feel I pay more here for everything, I work in an incredibly tough city and you know your worth very quickly after coming here. It is exciting but very unfriendly, At 38 I have had a series of stress related illnesses, I used to be laid back...now I am approaching the definition of "highly strung"

But I love big vibrant cities, I love the hustle and bustle and creativity, I am from the country but never want to go back. Someone once said about New York that "I'll die quickly here, but I would die slowly anywhere else" and I understand that sentiment.

BsAs represents maybe a rather silly hope that I can have the good aspects of living in a massive vibrant and beautiful city and be able to have a little more financial breathing space to feel secure in it. Now, there are limits, I would imagine that I would not want to totally commit my resources to the country, I am aware of its history. So maybe I would fall into the category of the (soon to be extinct?) perma tourist?

My partner lives in SF, a great city no doubt, but as expensive as London, We travel to each other every 7 weeks, which is exhausting (I have to haul my ass to SF tomorrow). He is sort of burnt out at his job too and understandably doesn't want to go to London to end up in another career treadmill. As I can't move to the USA because of Doma (thanks Clinton!) BsAs, might be a good place to exist for a while and we would learn Castellano.

I have spent time in BsAs and liked it enormously and alot of the downsides of BsAs I feel I already endure in London. So it doesn't really put me off. I wouldn't want to live in a three thousand square foot house in Kansas or Cumbria, give me the rough and tumble anyday but just save me the feeling of living on a financial tightrope that London seems to induce in me.

Hope there is some coherence in the above!

Back