Who has left or is planning to leave?

Bad before compared to “what”?
@Ceviche San.
Stay focus.
Bottom line ,,,, it's worse now.
Not important how good or bad it was. Distraction. Different topic. Do not open another frontier. Diversion.

Now is worse than then.
We all agree.
Final. Final.

Last edited:
In 2008 the minimum wage in Argentina under Nestor Kirchner was nearly 2 times higher in dollars than currently in 2024 and prices of all goods in dollars were less than half of today meaning working people lived many times better . During his ´presidency every year there was a improvement in the economy and from 2003 to 2009 the economy had strong economic growth .

Poverty rates in Argentina have more than doubled in the last years but now in 2024 the situation is untenable due to lack of employment . shops closing down . no public works , no investment in local industry by the government No hay plata translates to the worst economic recession in Argentinas history .

This is the minimum wage of 2008 . In 2024 its less than US$ 180 per month

Nestor Kirchner was NOT the president of Argentina in 2008.

For those who supported Milei, they shot themselves in the foot. The inexpensive life you enjoyed here was during K administrations.
They also believe that things will get better as time progresses , If it is this bad in 6 months imagine in 3 years ? With no money spent on nothing and the market allowed to do as it pleases Argentina is now one of the most expensive countries of the planet for basic foods and simple household items .
Nestor Kirchner was NOT the president of Argentina in 2008.
That is right he was president till his death in 2007 . The Kirchners continued their power for many years after his death with his wife Christina taking over the reigns

Given the current situation, who has left or is planning to leave?
The only way the "current situation" has affected my life in Argentina has been the recent increase in the cost of living, particularly the increases in the cost of food and fuel.

That being said, I seriously doubt that I could enjoy life anywhere else in the world as much as in Argentina, given the fact that, even with the recent price increases, my current baseline cost of living (for everything) is $500 USD per month. I don't pay rent.

I realize that $500 is a lot more that millions of Argentines have to live on each month, but the question Sergio asked when he started this thread was not directed at them.

Obviously, it was directed at (potentially unhappy) expats, and, while those wringing their hands over the plight of poor Argentines are expressing genuine concerns, perhaps those comments deserve to be in a separate thread. This thread has become convoluted.

PS: If and when it becomes dangerous to walk home alone from the grocery store in Capital Federal, I imagine some expats might wish they had already left.

I got out of CF after living there four four years. I've never looked (or been) back, but I haven't left Argentina, either...and seriously doubt I ever will.

I'm happier where I am now than anywhere else I've lived...including Park City and Sayulita.

I'm happier where I am now than anywhere else I've lived...including Park City and Sayulita.

Are you in the Province?

The only way the "current situation" has affected my life in Argentina has been the recent increase in the cost of living, particularly the increases in the cost of food and fuel.

That being said, I seriously doubt that I could enjoy life anywhere else in the world as much as in Argentina, given the fact that, even with the recent price increases, my current baseline cost of living (for everything) is $500 USD per month. I don't pay rent.

I realize that $500 is a lot more that millions of Argentines have to live on each month, but the question Sergio asked when he started this thread was not directed at them.

Obviously, it was directed at (potentially unhappy) expats, and, while those wringing their hands over the plight of poor Argentines are expressing genuine concerns, perhaps those comments deserve to be in a separate thread. This thread has become convoluted.

PS: If and when it becomes dangerous to walk home alone from the grocery store in Capital Federal, I imagine some expats might wish they had already left.

I got out of CF after living there four four years. I've never looked (or been) back, but I haven't left Argentina, either...and seriously doubt I ever will.

Steve, based on what you have written over the years, your life in a rural area near Bahia Blanca is uncomplicated. I can see how you are in a position to stay even though prices have risen. For those in the capital who have more expensive life styles, the situation is different. Few would be willing to live like the great majority of Argentines.

Bad before compared to “what”?
Most people were poor by 1st world standards. Few young people could live independently. Families pooled their resources to survive. They didn't live in Recolata, Barrio Norte, Zona Norte.

Back