Who has left or is planning to leave?

They also believe that things will get better as time progresses , If it is this bad in 6 months imagine in 3 years ? With no money spent on nothing and the market allowed to do as it pleases Argentina is now one of the most expensive countries of the planet for basic foods and simple household items .

That is right he was president till his death in 2007 . The Kirchners continued their power for many years after his death with his wife Christina taking over the reigns
I suspect few here are able to vote in Argentina, so their opinion of the current leader before the election is irrelevant. The pueblo, not expats or the elite, put him in office.

Steve, based on what you have written over the years, your life in a rural area near Bahia Blanca is uncomplicated.

I am actually living on the outskirts of Punta Alta which is "near" Bahía Blanca but in a different.municipalidad, so, fortunately, the only reason I have to go.anywhere.near.(but not into Bahía Blanca) is the drive to the airport to meet an occasional visitor. Punta Alta has everything that I need to buy in person. I also go there to renew my DL and car repairs as well as visit friends.

I can see how you are in a position to stay even though prices have risen. For those in the capital who have more expensive life styles, the situation is different.
People with higher incomes certainly have more expensive life styles, just like I did when I had a higher income, drove expensive cars, and traveled frequently.

I had no idea i would "lose" my desire to travel at the age of 60, and only after I arrived at my present location in 2010. That was almost ten years before pandemic related travel restrictions, which were something I never had to deal with.

Few would be willing to live like the great majority of Argentines.
Me neither.

When I began my search for a "casa quinta" in all of Argentina in January.of 2010 my goal was to find the "best" property I could find at that time, given the amount of money I would have available from the sale.of my.PH in Nuñez. I found it online ín two days, made a 60 day reserva. While Perry marketed the PH, I continued to search for a quinta I might prefer to buy instead of the property on the edge of Punta Alta.

Perry found a buyer for the PH.just as the reserva was about to expire. The day after.the boleto.for the sale we flew to see the quinta. I gave the seller additional funds and we signed.a seña. I moved into the house on June 25th 2010, and I have slept under.the same roof every.night since.

i realize that it iis highly likely that NO other expats ! would want to live in this manner, and it probably would make each and every one of them very unhappy. It has greatly surprised me how.satisfying my life is here. I have great neighbors and wonderful friends, and not one of them speaks English.

For those who are curious, here's how I now allowcate the $500 per month that cover my COL:

Insurance $40.000
Electricity $10.000
Water $30.000
LNG $20.000
Netflix $10.000
Internet $10.000
Meat $90.000
Eggs $30.000
Cheese $60.000
Nafta $40.000
Taxes $10.000
Butter $50.000
Coffee $50.000
Medical & VTV
& Driver's permit $ 5.000
Bank fees $25.000
Auto repairs $20.000

Total $500.000

Last edited:
I am actually living on the outskirts of Punta Alta which is "near" Bahía Blanca but in a different.municipalidad, so, fortunately, the only reason I have to go.anywhere.near.(but not into Bahía Blanca) is the drive to the airport to meet an occasional visitor. Punta Alta has everything that I need to buy in person. I also go there to renew my DL and car repairs as well as visit friends.

People with higher incomes certainly have more expensive life styles, just like I did when I had a higher income, drove expensive cars, and traveled frequently.

I had no idea i would "lose" my desire to travel at the age of 60, and only after I arrived at my present location in 2010. That was almost ten years before pandemic related travel restrictions, which were something I never had to deal with.

Me neither.

When I began my search for a "casa quinta" in all of Argentina in January.of 2010 my goal was to find the "best" property I could find at that time, given the amount of money I would have available from the sale.of my.PH in Nuñez. I found it online ín two days, made a 60 day reserva. While Perry marketed the PH, I continued to search for a quinta I might prefer to buy instead of the property on the edge of Punta Alta.

Perry found a buyer for the PH.just as the reserva was about to expire. The day after.the boleto.for the sale we flew to see the quinta. I gave the seller additional funds and we signed.a seña. I moved into the house on June 25th 2010, and I have slept under.the same roof every.night since.

i realize that it iis highly likely that NO other expats ! would want to live in this manner, and it probably would make each and every one of them very unhappy. It has greatly surprised me how.satisfying my life is here. I have great neighbors and wonderful friends, and not one of them speaks English.

For those who are curious, here's how I now allowcate the $500 per month that cover my COL:
Amazing!
Could fit a movie script.

Me neither.

Insurance? What kind?

I am leaving on June 10th with my kids but I'll keep my 2 apartments as they prices have gone up lately. Ironically, I am moving to a country way worse than Argentina in term of Inflation, quality of life, economy ETC. I am moving to Lecheria, Venezuela (I am not from Venezuela). I was considering Medellín but every single day I hear bad news on Colombia. I am not leaving because prices here are almost similar to the US as I enjoyed very cheap good quality products here for 2 years until recently. I am mostly leaving because I want to be closer to the US and the Dominican Republic. Colombia is a better option as they have direct flights to both countries but rent/insurance/getting a local DL seem to be a nightmare there.
As I will be driving to Venezuela, I plan to make a stop in Medellín for 2 weeks and see how things really work there.
I also considered Panama and the Bahamas but found out that apartments are very expensive there.

Amazing!
Could fit a movie script.
The movie script is currently.a work.in progress, but only one scene (a flashback) is set here. All of the other scenes are set in Retiro, Recoleta and Tigre

The flasback (100% real) is a real life incident which occured when, at the.age of 67, I was assaulted.three times in less than 10 minutes by a 19 year old punk who want3d to.rob me at my house. He first brandished a knife, then ran toward me, swinging a wood post straight at my head. I split the wood post in two with a metal rod I grabbed. After running into the street.in front of my house, he pucked up and hurled a large chunk of cement at me. I dodged the rock and we had an "Argentine" standoff.

About 20 seconds later he was off and running...after the ever so timely arrival of three young men who approached the goon in a car from behind.

He was easily identified (including by me because we had spoken the day before and he had told me his name). He was arrested two days later. He got three years.probation for attacking me, but went to prision for stealing money from his mother (yes, she pressed charges).

This experience did not make me want to leave Argentina. No one I know has been murdered here. I can't say the same about Park City or Sayulita.

PS: The working title for the script is "Going Galt in Argentina" and the story takes place from November 6-8, 2016.

Last edited:
Back