Who has left or is planning to leave?

I love Thai and Vietnamese food. But also hear about amazing Malaysian food.

Is Quala Lumpur with the twin skyscrapers as cosmopolitan as BA? I would imagine it's the most cosmopolitan of the three. No? I am a big city smack down town person all my life.
Is Rent easy? Do one need guarantia imubiliaria like BA? Reasonable rent Compared to Argentina today? Cost of living compared to BA today?

How would Quala Lumpur weather compare to perfect BA weather?

Cost of living compared to BA today?

These 3 countries never ever crossed my mind before.

Río requires learning Portuguese. I don't know it. Can one get by English in Malaysia?
Bangkok is very cosmopolitan as is KL.

Rent is easy in Bangkok. None of the guarantor madness. The range is from dirt cheap to out of this world expensive. Much of it depends on what part of town you choose to live.

I'd say everything being equal COL is not much different in BKK compared to BA.

The big drawback for me regarding BKK is the heat. Brutal much of the year. Air pollution as well.

Argentina has drastically changed economically politically and in so many other ways. Hard to recognize from yesterday.

Not easy to once again uproot oneself and leave after investing years here. But one has to look around and re-evaluate.

Rio de Janeiro and Panama. Pros? Cons?
I would imagine that both cities are economically and politically more advantageous now.

I heard Rio is not safe. Panama weather is shitty.
Rio food is million times better than Argentina. Panama is tax free.

Share your opinion and experience to help some of us with limited familiarity who want to formulate a decision.
I lived in Rio and although the crime rates are higher it didn’t really affect our quality of life. You just need to keep your wits about you and use common sense when out and about. Of course also depends on which area you live in too. We were in Leblon which was fine and same thing for Ipanema which was similar. Copacabana was a bit more dangerous. Living next to the beach was amazing and as much as I love Baires I would struggle now to live anywhere without a beach and that’s one reason we chose Marbella in south of Spain to buy a place versus moving to Madrid which is a really nice city too. I like the vibe in south of Spain and very similar to South America. Friendly people and easy going lifestyle.

Rent is easy in Bangkok. None of the guarantor madness. The range is from dirt cheap to out of this world expensive. Much of it depends on what part of town you choose to live.

The big drawback for me regarding BKK is the heat. Brutal much of the year. Air pollution as well.
And KL weather?

Numbeo.com

Last edited:
Argentina has drastically changed economically politically and in so many other ways. Hard to recognize from yesterday.

Not easy to once again uproot oneself and leave after investing years here. But one has to look around and re-evaluate.

Rio de Janeiro and Panama. Pros? Cons?
I would imagine that both cities are economically and politically more advantageous now.

I heard Rio is not safe. Panama weather is shitty.
Rio food is million times better than Argentina. Panama is tax free.

Share your opinion and experience to help some of us with limited familiarity who want to formulate a decision.
If anyone is looking at Argentina as a destination for the long-term then it is essential to understand that this country is inherently a very expensive (and indeed perhaps over-valued...) country in Latin America and always has been. It is very easy to loose sight of this at moments of economic instability and crisis where there are differences in the exchange rate artificially favouring those with foreign income and creating a false sense of security and making it easy to overlook its many short comings.

That said if your budget can cover living expenses today in Buenos Aires, you will almost certainly be fine in Spain, France (outside of Paris) Italy or Portugal... actually pretty much anywhere in Europe. These countries also have independent means or pension visa options and some interest real estate prospects, including the possibility of financing. Plus it is Europe, so always cheap, fast and easy to travel to interesting places. Yes, you will almost certainly pay tax but you will likely feel you are getting a good return on it with things like healthcare, education, security, transport etc versus paying privately for these services.

Likewise you would probably be OK in Brazil on a Buenos Aires budget (today) although cities like Rio are expensive to live well....and you will still be faced with many short comings of living in Latin America in terms of feeling like you are getting value/ quality in return for your money.
Personally I love Brazil but would not live there again, you soon realise you are paying a premium just to constantly deal with unnecessary problems while looking at a pretty beach... it can be like a toxic but pretty tropical flower.

South Africa (e.g. Western Cape) could also be a nice option if you don't mind the added distance. They offer independent means and pensioner visas. Similar climate to Argentina. Cost of living a bit lower than here, good private education, healthcare and professional services, very nice lifestyle but also not without its short comings (e.g. constant power and water shortages, mismanagement and corruption, insecurity - BUT and it is a big but, safety depends on exactly where you live and go... quite like Argentina actually but with a more open and stable economy where you can find anything you want).

If for you it must be Latin America, consider Costa Rica or Mexico over Panama (which is not actually tax free for residents on income generated in Panama...) Also Santiago de Chile is perhaps a sterile option for those with a Buenos Aires budget (today) and looking for a quiet life within a clean, modern, North-American style city and easy access to nature...

Asia offers fantastic options, but visit and travel around a bit first to see if it is for you.

I spent time in Argentina in 1996 when I decided to expatriate the US but decided against because it was tired and poorly run. Cobbled together a nomadic lifestyle between urban Taiwan and rural Japan and couldn't be happier. Taipei for work, city life and Hokkaido for peace, quiet, food and outdoor recreation. Became a permanent resident of Taiwan and a business resident of Japan. Both places are well run, very low crime, and easy to do business in. 3-1/2 hour plane ride between the two.

No concrete knowledge of Philippines. But my current preconceived believe ,,,, Philippines would not be improvement from Argentina. Sounds far fetched.
I was in Manila twice many years ago , it was a great location, scenery, seafood and low cost.

BKK is a superb city to live in. so easy to do everything. super polite ppl, easy to bank, use cards, rent, fly, hospitals, local and international food, to meet ppl from all over the world and yr sex life would never ever get boring there, which is an added plus.

Back