Who is Silvina Batakis, the newly appointed National Minister of Economy?

$301 pesos per dollar; I'm just picturing Alberto's "Batakis, you're doing a heck of a job!" moment while things crumble around them.

$301 pesos per dollar; I'm just picturing Alberto's "Batakis, you're doing a heck of a job!" moment while things crumble around them.
Oh, this is crazy. They have totally lost control.Saigon_Kabul.png

What I don't get is who CFK is trying to fool with her claims that Guzman had acted irresponsibly? She has been described as extremely clever and cunning but who is falling for something like that except of the extremely gullible?

What I don't get is who CFK is trying to fool with her claims that Guzman had acted irresponsibly? She has been described as extremely clever and cunning but who is falling for something like that except of the extremely gullible?
30% of the voters in Arg probably.

Honestly I wonder if she's slipping in to senility. I'll gladly eat some crow if I'm proven wrong, but this doesn't strike me as the cunning realpolitik leader of the decade past.

Her speech (more like a rant) was pretty rich. She was a total dick to Guzmán for the past 2 years, everyone knew she wanted him pushed out, and when he had enough and said "Fine, you won't have me to kick around anymore" she has a hissy fit when it exacerbates the crisis her and Alberto are not qualified to manage.

That being said, as jblaze pointed out; 30% of people would make her queen if they could, she's infallible to them, so that's the audience/who she's trying to fool. Yet for the rest of us in the normal world, she's pissed because she's now reaping what she sowed and is lashing out accordingly. All actions have consequences, and her little stunt with Guzmán has cost the country and Argentines billions, in both currencies.

I suppose my question to Cristina would be if you actually cared about the poor and people on the margins of society, why, for the love of Christ, do you insist on rocking the boat and undermining Alberto whenever you can? Every tweet, every snide remark, every rant about "using the pen" is like removing another block from an incredibly unstable Jenga tower, yet she can't help herself. I'd argue an overwhelming majority of us on this forum, despite our disparate political beliefs, think Alberto is an awful, feckless president, but we wouldn't do half the things she's done because we know they have material impacts on the lives of people who, unlike her, can't afford to drop $2K on a new Speedy Bandoulière 30 bag from Louis Vuitton in the middle of 80%+ inflation.

10 July 2022
Silvina Batakis intends to accelerate the implementation of the new economic management. She reviewed the management situation area by area....The meeting was attended by the Secretary of Economic Policy, Karina Angeletti; the Secretary of Finance, Martín Di Bella; the Secretary of Domestic Trade, Martín Pollera; and the Secretary of Finance, Eduardo Setti. Also present were the Secretary of Energy, Darío Martínez; the Executive Director for the Southern Cone at the IMF, Sergio Chodos; the Chief of Cabinet of advisors of the Ministry, Juan Manuel Pignocco; the Secretary of International Economic and Financial Affairs, Ramiro Ordoqui, and his peer from the Legal and Administrative Secretariat, José Ballesteros, as reported by the Ministry of Economy.

This was not the first meeting of the economic cabinet, since Batakis had gathered her entire team last Friday after making official the names of those who will accompany her in her administration. Of the members of the new team, Angeletti and Pollera accompanied the current minister in the Secretariat of Provinces of the Ministry of the Interior....Angeletti, an economist graduated from the National University of La Plata (UNLP), where she is also a teacher, served until last week as executive coordinator of the Federal Trust Fund for Regional Infrastructure of the portfolio led by Eduardo "Wado" de Pedro. She was also Director of Statistics in the Prov of BA and Chief of Advisors of the Undersecretary of Economic Coordination between 2013 and 2014, during the administration of Daniel Scioli as governor of the Prov of BA. Martín Pollera held, until last week, the position of Undersecretary of Policies for Development with Regional Equity of the Ministry of the Interior, as part of the team of the then Secretary Batakis.

Di Bella, who will be in charge of the Secretariat of Finance, has a degree in Economics from the National University of La Plata, was in charge of the Tax Collection Agency of the Prov of BA (ARBA) also during the Scioli administration. Since October, 2021 has been in charge of the Administrative Secretariat of the Senate of the Prov of BA, a position he was appointed to when Roberto Feletti became head of the Secretariat of Domestic Trade. He was also Undersecretary of Finance and Provincial Director of Development Programs of the Coordinating Unit of International Organizations (UCO)....

she made several of sensical directives today. Basically to work with the money they've got, freeze public hiring, etc..

These things are easy to say but will probably be difficult to honor when the plaza de mayo and obelisko are overrun by social movements.

Either way I predict greater issues with free movement and social peace in the future.

Good luck to her though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Women's Forum 1
Back