Whole bean coffe?

OK...I Have a great place I buy whole beans on Caceros between Solis and Entre Rios. They roast their own beans. The coffee is from Brazil and it's reasinable..I'ts called Caravana and the good cafes use their beans. It's Caseros 1945
they are open until one and then 3-6 or 7 500 g bag is $22 pesos less than other places for sure and it's really fresh. I buy the Extra, a blend of dark and light bean...I am a bit fanatic with having to have an excellent cup in the morning so I can relate! Good luck!

My last back of Whole Bean coffee from Starbucks was:

Guatemala Antigua (medium roast)
250g (8.8oz)
AR$34

Kind of pricey for crappy coffee.

Coffee is supposed to be consumed soon after roasting. Since Starbucks is farming out their Argentine operation, I seriously doubt the beans are roasted in this country. At best their roasting them in Chile or Brazil, but I doubt that.

The problem with here, much like Starbucks' grand problem, is that OVER-roasting coffee is seen as a good thing. I don't like the flavor burnt dirt, I don't know why someone would think that I want to pay an arm and a leg to drink it. It will almost make a mate drinker out of you.

I'm interested in checking out the Entre Rios place. I hope it's good. I doubt it will be.

I've tried several places but find Ouro Preto to be slightly better, about ARS 20 per 1/4 kilo of their expensive brand. Located on Corrientes, corner of Montevideo, I think. Left hand side when driving along Correntes.

Mike

Seems that according to Napoleon, Starbuck's has floating prices. According to my receipt, I paid 52 for two bags of Italian Roast, or 26 a bag (just over $7 each). But maybe burnt dirt, my personal preference, is cheaper. That was at the one behind the Palermo Alta shopping mall.

As an aside, as I was looking around for the tip jar to drop my change into, turns out they are not allowed to accept tips. Now that is really different from the Starbuck's in my previous Georgetown neighborhood -- where a bag of Italian roast went for $8.90 -- where the tip jar was on prominent display.

I bought at the corner of Callao & Viamonte.

Also, there are different prices depending on the beans, but most were AR$34 on the list I looked at.a

See? If you liked burnt dirt, you could get a bag a few pesos cheaper.

HDM said:
See? If you liked burnt dirt, you could get a bag a few pesos cheaper.
You have a very good point and present it in a clear and succint way. I will take that into consideration the next time I'm shopping for "coffee".

gracias

A time back someone asked the price per bag from Starbucks and it was reported as such.

HDM said:
Price per bag ... I didn't notice the weight... I buy two bags at a time, and the last time, a few days ago, I think I paid 52 pesos for two bags, so 26 per bag?

Then I countered with...

Napoleon said:
My last back of Whole Bean coffee from Starbucks was:

Guatemala Antigua (medium roast)
250g (8.8oz)
AR$34

Which was called into question. Well, it shouldn't have been, but occasionally people do question me. After looking at my receipt for AR$34 from Starbucks that was sitting on a dresser in my room (I really need to through out my receipts), I chose not to post. Ni importa.

Then yesterday I went to the Starbucks at the corner of Callao & Viamonte (it's just too convenient, but I promise to check out that place on Pueyrredon) and bought a 250gr bag of the HOUSE BLEND and it was AR$29. DEFINITELY cheaper than a specific roast.

ALSO, I was offered a free cup of coffee with my purchase. This is standard practice at my Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf on Larchmont in LA, and I think at all CB&TL's as well as Starbucks & Peet's Coffee stores. And to top it off, they didn't have drip, so I got a frou-frou drink (a small... a.k.a. "tall") for free. I got a "Latte". Full fat, foam on top. (No "Fat-Free Tall Latte No Foam" for me.) I think that that little booger is about AR$10 normally, so I basically got just over a half pound of coffee for AR$19. Not bad.

It was not "called into question," if you mean my comment to you indicated that either your receipt was wrong or that your memory of the price was wrong. I was questioning whether or not Starbuck's here has different prices in different stores and different prices for different types of coffee and roasts. I was when I wrote that staring at a receipt for a bag of Italian Roast for 26. I bought two bags of Italian Roast yesterday at the one behind Alto Palermo and this time each bag was 28. I am assuming the price has gone up, rather than random pricing. I was also offered a free coffee with those bags, but do not drink Starbuck's the way they brew it in the store, so I told the clerk to give it to the person behind me. Which she did. The woman behind me didn't seem to know how to react ... is this a gimmick? ... does he want something from me? ... is this a pickup? When I took my coffee and started to leave, I heard a belated muchos gracias behind me. I wonder if that has ever happened before, anywhere, to anyone? It sure did get a lot of attention from the staff and the customers.

I still don't know if Starbuck's has random pricing in different stores, since I have only been to that one. Regardless, yesterday, a bag of Italian Roast went for 28.

HDM said:
It was not "called into question,"
:D

I forgot to look to see if there was a "Coffee of the Day" and if so, what was the price. I just wanted to get in and get out ASAP. The free latte covered any kind of issue I might have had relating to being slightly overcharged due to the location.

But some real estate guy that started asking me questions about Buenos Aires said that all of the stores are owned by the same company and it's not necessarily the Corporate office in Seattle. So one company is setting the prices rather than individual franchise owners.

Back