Whole bean coffe?

SilverStar said:
I've had very good luck at General de Cafe. Why? Because they roast their own coffee in house! That's cool...http://www.estcafe.com.ar/
Fred

This by far is the best coffee in Buenos Aires and the two stores on Lavalle are great with excellent selections of blends as well as the best sandwiches in Buenos Aires.

Napoleon said:
:D

I forgot to look to see if there was a "Coffee of the Day" and if so, what was the price. I just wanted to get in and get out ASAP. The free latte covered any kind of issue I might have had relating to being slightly overcharged due to the location.

But some real estate guy that started asking me questions about Buenos Aires said that all of the stores are owned by the same company and it's not necessarily the Corporate office in Seattle. So one company is setting the prices rather than individual franchise owners.

I understood that Starbucks didn't Franchise? Do they in South America, it's not that way in the UK/Ireland, or the US. What beats me is the way the prices differ around the world, depending on what they can get away with in each country. Pretty sure that Ireland has the dearest Starbucks Coffee - anywhere - And the couple in BA I have been in seemed very "normal" priced, by my standard, whilst expensive for BA I'm sure.

Liam3494 said:
I understood that Starbucks didn't Franchise? Do they in South America, it's not that way in the UK/Ireland, or the US. What beats me is the way the prices differ around the world, depending on what they can get away with in each country. Pretty sure that Ireland has the dearest Starbucks Coffee - anywhere - And the couple in BA I have been in seemed very "normal" priced, by my standard, whilst expensive for BA I'm sure.

SilverStar said:
I heard that the company that runs Burger King here partnered with Starbucks.

I don't think that they do in most other countries, but according to a guy that I trust from another message board, but who I've never met in my life (nor will I ever meet him), Starbucks doesn't own or operate their stores in Argentina. Brazil & Chile?... Yes. But not Argentina.

SilverStar said:
I've had very good luck at General de Cafe. Why? Because they roast their own coffee in house! That's cool...http://www.estcafe.com.ar/
Fred

pericles said:
This by far is the best coffee in Buenos Aires and the two stores on Lavalle are great with excellent selections of blends as well as the best sandwiches in Buenos Aires.

OK, so I like Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf's "Costa Rica La Cascada Terrazu".

prod_zoom_cr_lct.gif

It is a "medium" roast that has a very low acidity. I can actual make it with my French press and not even need to add milk or sugar (though it's always a little better when I do), it's that "rich".

It doesn't taste burnt. It just tastes a little stronger than the smell. A very nice way to start a late weekend day. (I won't say "morning", because they begin well after 12:00pm.)

QUESTION:

Which coffee at "Est. General" would match up to that description?

I tried a Guatemalan Terrazu and it tasted just as badly burnt as any other bean I've found down here. I thought because it was a Central American "Terrazu" (whatever that means), that it would be similar. I was wrong. (That doesn't happen often, but I freely own up to my failures.)

Thank you for all the help that you are about to provide.

suerte y besos a todos,

Napoleonito

I am also underwhelmed by the stale, poor quality coffee in argentina. its not just this city, but nationwide. Why dont they vacuum seal any coffee. Brazil does. any old supermarket there has vacuum sealed coffee. maybe this technology hasnt come here yet. I like to buy instant for when Im in a rush. As most will know, nearly ALL coffee sold in supermarkets etc. is ground with 10% sugar.

nescafe gold, with no sugar, is 32 pesos for a small jar!! i spend much less back home for such items. Also, i went to buy arg. ground coffee in a large supermarket, every bag in the back had a hole punched in it. couldnt be accidental. all exactly the same. this will degrade the coffee of course.

Most expats who find good coffee seem to have money to burn and buy the best.

Seems like you could find some online retailer who ships internationally. Doesn't Amazon do that?

Hi

Bonafide has whole bean coffee of good quality and though not cheap but neither the most expensive that must be Havanna.
all the best
Reina

Back