Who's considering it after thinking they would never...?

rickulivi said:
Allcraz:

Do you want to get a divorce? Move to Austin with you Mexican husband, who will be considered a wetback. Sorry, did I read he's Argentine? People in the US will assume he's Mexican with all the negative connotations that has.

Who, in the Us, will hire a 38 year old who's been out of work for over a year? If he's been out of work that long, potential employers will feel like he's no good. Why else would he have been out of work that long?

Who said raising a kid in the US is better to raising a kid in Argentina? I raised four wonderful kids here (USA) and I doubt any of them knew our neighbors, even though we have lived in the same upper income neighborhood for 28 years. I grew up in Argentina and i can still tell you the names of all our neighbors, even after 60 plus years.

I have spent the most wonderful 40 years in the US and I love it dearly here, even though I love Argentina too. But this is no Disneyland. Your husband is going to be competing in the job market against 25 year olds that text faster than i can talk, that know Excel better than . . . and that will work harder than your husband. Did i mention they will work for less too?

Move back and you may end up living with a guy who complains about all, who's frustrated to near death, and because he won't know how to use a self checkout lane at Home Depot or the supermarket, will feel useless. Fortunately for him, he will have a wife that he can make more miserable than him, so he will feel good. After all, happiness is a relative concept, right?

allcraz, you seem like a wonderful person and you seem to be very proud of your husband and in love too. Don't mess it up chasing after the gold pot at the end of the rainbow. Stay put, you'll be fine.

Wow, what a bigoted post.

Do you know Allcraz's husband? Because if you don't, how are you so sure their move WILL end up in a divorce? How do you know that her husband doesn't love her enough to go through the initial challenges of moving to a new place with her?

A Mexican? A Wetback? Are you high? My father in law moved to Houston with his family when he was 45 years old. He was hired as the vice-president of the accounting department of one of the biggest firms in the world (don't want to mention the name). My wife went to high school and did first two years of college there. She was baffled when she moved to Dubai after that and people kept on asking her, "where are you from?" She said not a single person had brought that up in Houston because there "they don't care!" Oh my wife and her family are Argentine (=Mexican, to use your f**ked up terminology). Maybe you only remember things from 40 years ago...its about time you educated yourself about the present!

EDIT: My father-in-law at the time could barely speak English.

As for racism, I have seen a lot of it here. When I submitted my application for residence at the Argentine embassy in Abu Dhabi, the first thing the lady there did was cross out "brown" which is what I had put for my skin color (which is what I think it is....well more like yellow/brown :D but who gives a crap!!) and wrote "tanned". I asked her what the hell she was doing and she said, "no don't write brown, you're tanned, not brown!" I said whatever, who gives a crap but then my mother-in-law told me later that being brown here is synonymous with poverty (like people from Bolivia, Paraguay, etc) so that is why people prefer "tanned", even if they're just naturally BROWN!

The fact that your kids know your neighbors or don't know them has got nothing to do with countries. The only reason we know our neighbors here in Buenos Aires is because they stink and we have to tell them to clean their goddamn apartment so we can live peacefully. Other than that, we neither want to nor need to know our neighbors. That is the way both my wife and I were brought up. We keep to ourselves and mingle with our friends. You were brought up differently I assume, there is no reason your kids couldn't have mingled better. I won't tell you how to raise your kids, since its none of my business, and so maybe you shouldn't assume Allcraz would want the same things for her kids as you do or did.

I missed the part where Allcraz said her husband was a retard...because if he isn't a retard (which I am assuming he isn't) then he won't have a problem figuring out self-checkout lanes over a couple of months.

As for getting jobs, yeah it may be hard to find jobs in the US, but its no harder to find jobs there than here. Its not like once you hit 40 in Argentina, every one lines up at your door to hire you!

Ahhhh I was waiting for someone to rain on my parade. I'm so glad I can smile at some of these comments. Nicoenarg is right, you don't know my husband. He's blue-eyed and light-skinned like me, so I don't think anyone is going to confuse him for the derrogatory term used in a recent post. He's pretty damn good with Excel, too. Anyway, if and when the big decision is made, I will certainly keep everyone posted on his results with with the self-check lanes.

rickulivi, I can't help but smell a bit of hypocrisy when comparing yesterday's post to your first post on this forum:

rickulivi said:
What do you american expats find about living in Argentina that you cannot find in the US?

I'm an argentine expat living in the US for 35 years. I moved here permanently when I was 25 and my wife was 20--and she did not speak a word of english. We love it here but go back to BA and Bolivia every year for a few weeks and love it in those places too.

I find this website wonderful but intrigued by some many comments on the lifestyle advantages of BA over the US. It seems that many of you find things there that you were unable to find here and so I am puzzled. For example, many of your often talk of having many "amigos" or the social benefits of the "asado" and so on. But I have lived in the US for a long time, raised four wonderful kids and have been married forever to a gorgeous bolivian lady. We have had a wonderful life here, have mostly american friends and while we may miss the asados, we make up for it with the many friends we have made at the gym.

So, can you please tell me what you have found there that you were unable to find back in the USA? The follow up to that question is, why were you unable to find here what you found there? Finally, for those of you curious about us, we moved here in 1975 because at that time Argentina was a total mess and we saw no future for us. There was a mini civil war, economic chaos, and so on. In the US, we started at the bottom, enjoyed the struggle and the journey.

I would appreciate it if you kept your comments cordiall and non-offensive. This post is seeking enlightment. Thank you.

Interesting, for many reasons.

Perhaps you're speaking from experience. I'm sorry your Bolivian wife was descriminated against and referred to as a wetback.

Nico, I grew up in southern USA, and in my experience, most people consider anyone speaking Spanish to be Mexican. In fact, it's quite common to hear someone refer to the Spanish language as the "Mexican" language. I won't speculate on how widespread such generalizations are, but in my experience, they happened more often than not.

Regarding to the original top, I'm gay and married to an Argentine. Given that U.S. immigration policy is dealt with at the national level, there's no way that we're moving to the U.S. anytime soon. I love Argentina, but I'm so tired of the inflation and relative price instability. 25 percent increases in everything is unsustainable in the long-term. We have had the discussion about moving elsewhere in Mercosur with lower, stable inflation rate -- or at least a country that recognizes high inflation exists. For now, however, we're here.

bradlyhale said:
In fact, it's quite common to hear someone refer to the Spanish language as the "Mexican" language. I won't speculate on how widespread such generalizations are, but in my experience, they happened more often than not.

Ugh, yes, my dad calls Spanish Mexican. My father is so ignorant it embarasses me. Yet another reason why we would never consider settling down in Waco (hometown). Austin is a completely different story. My husband felt it the first time he went, and anyone who has visited Austin and can compare it to other parts of Texas can feel it. There's literally something for everyone while still boasting its welcoming Texas charm.

bradlyhale said:
Nico, I grew up in southern USA, and in my experience, most people consider anyone speaking Spanish to be Mexican. In fact, it's quite common to hear someone refer to the Spanish language as the "Mexican" language. I won't speculate on how widespread such generalizations are, but in my experience, they happened more often than not.

I've spent a lot of time in the southern USA as most of my family is there and I would say that people consider people with aboriginal looks to be mexican rather than based off the language they speak. In fact one of my very good friends is Mexican born and raised and now living in California and he says people don't believe him when he tells them he is from Mexico just because he doesn't look like the stereotype.

Yeah, just because the people call Latinos Mexican at times (certainly the older generation may have a bit more of that amongst them) doesn't mean they're racist and treat "Mexicans" (i.e. Latinos, shall we say) poorly because of that. It also doesn't mean every Texan isn't racist - of course there are many of those as well. But they are becoming fewer and fewer.

Here, everyone who has Asian features is a "Chino" and speaks "China." Poor people with more indigenous features are "indios" or even "negritos."

There are generalizations in every country in the world.

I forgot to mention the part the poster said about the automatic checkout lines as well. I remember when they first implemented them at grocery store down the street from us. I had a hard time figuring out how to use the damned things myself - and I'm supposed to be a technology guy!

I doubt that will be an issue for a new immigrant - I had it worked out within two trips and I'm sure anyone else can as well. And it's a really cool thing, in my opinion, that people can be trusted to checkout their own stuff.

Back