Who's considering it after thinking they would never...?

allcraz said:
Please let's not start the crime comparison. I won't even chime in here. It's been touched on so many times and I JUST posted saying how great it is that the thread has stayed on topic for those interested. I'm very happy that you have such a positive outlook.

Really--why is the topic of insecurity off-thread? I thought that was one of the factors in why many want to leave. Reminds me of why I infrequently post here.

To answer the question about my businesses in the white: I have great lawyers, good employees, and I treat them very well. Yes, they do sue me occasionally, but it's part of the landscape. I have never had an employee successfully sue me (yet) for a significant amount.

toulouse said:
Really--why is the topic of insecurity off-thread? I thought that was one of the factors in why many want to leave. Reminds me of why I infrequently post here.

To answer the question about my businesses in the white: I have great lawyers, good employees, and I treat them very well. Yes, they do sue me occasionally, but it's part of the landscape. I have never had an employee successfully sue me (yet) for a significant amount.

No, the topic was whether people who thought they weren't going to leave here are thinking of leaving or have left. Read the OP again.

Besides, crime comparison is what is not the topic here. You can have other cities as bad or worse than Buenos Aires. Doesn't make the bad in Buenos Aires go away.

toulouse said:

It's just that comparing crime between BsAs and the US is such a moot point. Everyone is going to compare it to a different city.

allcraz, your opening post brought to mind some wise words I once heard:

"You should always be able to articulate better what you are running towards than what you are running away from"

I have found it a great litmus test at various moments in my life.

Allcraz:

Do you want to get a divorce? Move to Austin with you Mexican husband, who will be considered a wetback. Sorry, did I read he's Argentine? People in the US will assume he's Mexican with all the negative connotations that has.

Who, in the Us, will hire a 38 year old who's been out of work for over a year? If he's been out of work that long, potential employers will feel like he's no good. Why else would he have been out of work that long?

Who said raising a kid in the US is better to raising a kid in Argentina? I raised four wonderful kids here (USA) and I doubt any of them knew our neighbors, even though we have lived in the same upper income neighborhood for 28 years. I grew up in Argentina and i can still tell you the names of all our neighbors, even after 60 plus years.

I have spent the most wonderful 40 years in the US and I love it dearly here, even though I love Argentina too. But this is no Disneyland. Your husband is going to be competing in the job market against 25 year olds that text faster than i can talk, that know Excel better than . . . and that will work harder than your husband. Did i mention they will work for less too?

Move back and you may end up living with a guy who complains about all, who's frustrated to near death, and because he won't know how to use a self checkout lane at Home Depot or the supermarket, will feel useless. Fortunately for him, he will have a wife that he can make more miserable than him, so he will feel good. After all, happiness is a relative concept, right?

allcraz, you seem like a wonderful person and you seem to be very proud of your husband and in love too. Don't mess it up chasing after the gold pot at the end of the rainbow. Stay put, you'll be fine.

There are a lot of racists rednecks in Texas but Austin is a relatively progressive city.

And the mayor of San Antonio, who just gave the keynote speech at the Democratic Convention is a Mexican American named Castro.

You can always return to Argentina if things don't work out.

As the previous poster mentioned a long period of unemployment will land your resume in HR's wastebasket a vast majority of the time without the hiring manager ever seeing it. So your husband would need to understand that the job search is going to require someone with extreme dedication, optimism and ability to brush off repeated rejections. Also HR is not going to want to make reference checks to oversea's companies. Given the cynical nature of some HR departments they are as likely to believe that the reason you don't have US references is because you were in jail!

However If I were beginning a career, I certainly wouldn't stay in Argentina, if there were other options.

Don't give up. We left Argentina this year after seven years...we are so glad we did. I got a job in the States ONE month after returning. There is work here, yes I am American and I was educated in the States but, there is work! Lots of it and even more if you will take any type of job. You may not live high off the hog like some expats did in Argentina in 2005 but you can cover the basic things here and if you are smart there is a wicked market for used goods in the States, things that I could only dream about in Argentina. We miss our social life in Argentina and his family but that is all. We will gladly fly back and visit maybe stay for a few weeks (I am a teacher so have summers off) and then get out of there. I never thought I'd say it...being in the States opens up so many more possibilities for my son and my whole family. Thankfully one can always make enough money over here to save up and visit over there. So glad we left when we did and moved on. Be brave, try to move forward, you can always go back if it doesn't work but if you just stay put you'll never know. I checked this blog b/c I was curious how people were feeling. I hope it changes but it seems things just keep getting more and more complicated as far as currency goes.

Texas is full of Mexicans and many other Latinos of various countries. As well as Asians - Chinese and Vietnamese and Koreans. Africans. Muslims. Etc.

There is a portion of Texas along the east and northeast (well north of Houston) that has been known in the past (like, 60's, 70's and maybe early 80's) for some idiotic racism, due to some hick sheriffs who did some stupid and violent things. We cleaned that crap up.

Texas may have a stereotype about racism, but certainly the large cities are fairly well integrated and we don't have any more of a racial problem than any other state (or country, for that matter). I've never known people in West Texas to be racist either, but I spent most of my time in Houston, Austin, Dallas/Ft Worth and San Antonio, so who knows. But I doubt it - no more than anywhere else.

Southwest and West Texas is largely, if not mostly, Latino.

We won our independence from Mexico, and when we did, there were plenty of Mexicans that helped form the Republic of Texas and later join with the US. Texas is proud of its Latino heritage.

The biggest racial problems I know of that exist are organizations that promote illegal immigrant rights. Even Latinos who came to Texas legally (whether their families were part of the creation of Texas, or they came later) resent the illegal immigrants, for most part. Illegal immigrants don't integrate with the society, like the rest of us do quite well.

To say that Austin, in particular, would be a bad place for any Latino - well, I don't think you've been to Austin, or perhaps visited and were wearing preconceived-notion blinders.

I believe Argentinos would feel right at home in Texas.

"Move back and you may end up living with a guy who complains about all, who's frustrated to near death, and because he won't know how to use a self checkout lane at Home Depot or the supermarket, will feel useless. Fortunately for him, he will have a wife that he can make more miserable than him, so he will feel good.

The above comments by rickulivi are very wise, competing in a difficult job market can be frustrating and lead to stressful family situations. Accepting a night shift security guard job can be still worse.

rickulivi said:
A
Move back and you may end up living with a guy who complains about all, who's frustrated to near death, and because he won't know how to use a self checkout lane at Home Depot or the supermarket, will feel useless.

Are these really that hard to figure out? I'm sure that if the OP moves to the states, her husband will be able to figure out the self checkout lane pretty quickly.

Back