Why are Argentines so Angry?

Many people want you to be as miserable as them . There is a classic saying misery loves company . I have unfortunately found some expats in this category who try their upmost to critisize everything and everyone in this beautiful city.
I have learnt to not have anymore to do with these people as they steal as much energy as they can from you and then chau lets move on to another.

Complaining is very common here but its done with jest . Most people go on with their lives with quiet dignity and they do enjoy themselves and smile often . Try going out to restaurants and clubs or social events and you will see the real side of this city. To the dismay of some here very very few Porteños wish to leave Buenos Aires for the USA or other countries .
I have never even been asked about emigration to Australia in all the years I have been here.

I must admit, I always get a chuckle when someone who has only lived here for a month or so makes a statement about how things are here (good or bad). In my experiences having been an expat in 2 countries and moved multiple times, it takes at least a year to see and evaluate a city in any impartial manner.

As to people being angry here - I think it's a mixed bag. As quite a few people mentioned, I think there is a level of discourse that a lot of foreigners take as aggressive and/or angry when in fact, its just conversation.

However, I also think life is tough for a lot of people. I don't know about the rest of you but more often than not, my taxi ride is spent listening to the driver complain about inflation, politics, how hard life is, etc. Ditto for the woman at the lavadero, the waiter at my favorite cafe, my lawyer, etc. Life isn't easy for a lot of people and I think they're sick and tired of dealing with the inflation, the strikes, the anything goes politics, the wages, the increasing rents, etc. And that makes for unhappiness. And the constant stress of life in Buenos Aires adds to it.

(I notice it a lot less when I'm outside of Cap Fed, not that people have it any easier but they seem to generally be happier or at least less-stressed. I think that's a world-wide phenomenon though, people in big cities usually seem more stressed and POed)

DanielaBsAs said:
I think it is easy to sit from an expats point of view and comment on the things that Argentina is or is not. Lets not forget that to even be connected to the internet and able to read this forum, we are the privileged ones. Most of us "expats" here come from places where a home, food, clothing and schooling is taken for granted, and I think sometimes this position is a disadvantage in trying to understand how Argentina is like it is.

I think they are doing pretty well given their history and their daily ordeals. If I was Argentine I would be mad as hell with the seemingly unending string of catastrophes that have been (and are still) allowed to happen and go unaccounted for.

Is this post for real??

Only 80 years ago Argentina was one of the wealthiest countries in the world. A first world country. Where do you think that expression "Paris of the Americas" came from? Today, those days are long gone. People struggle to hold onto what they have and many people have lost what they have. Many people have left the country to start new lives elsewhere. There is very little foreign investment in Argentina.

So, life is stressful on a day to day basis. It does not matter who you are or what you are doing. And, that is part of why people are so angry in Argentina. And, that is not only Argentines. It includes foreigners as well.

Recoleta Carolina said:
I would have to agree that Buenos Aires has become incredibly aggressive. I have been in the US for around 6 weeks now and I am amazed at how differently people behave here (in general).quote]

I´m tired of your messages. You are argentine and the user who critizes this country most. If you don´t like argentina move to the Paris or NY. Why don´t you begin doing something to make it better rather than complaining?
You must be a right wing person who wants this country to be all like RECOLETA. Money is not everthing in life, you know? I bet you are in favor of the migrants blonde with blue eyes but against migrants from Bolivia or Paraguay. This is a beatiful country with much future, but people tend to vote corrupt politicians like you for instance who voted for sure for macri. Stop asking for foreign investments, why do you think they will solve your problems?? We argentines have a lot of money in foreign bank accounts and do not invest in the country.

y te lo digo en español, tomate el buque nena.

Vikingo said:
Recoleta Carolina said:
I would have to agree that Buenos Aires has become incredibly aggressive. I have been in the US for around 6 weeks now and I am amazed at how differently people behave here (in general).quote]

I´m tired of your messages. You are argentine and the user who critizes this country most. If you don´t like argentina move to the Paris or NY. Why don´t you begin doing something to make it better rather than complaining?
You must be a right wing person who wants this country to be all like RECOLETA. Money is not everthing in life, you know? I bet you are in favor of the migrants blonde with blue eyes but against migrants from Bolivia or Paraguay. This is a beatiful country with much future, but people tend to vote corrupt politicians like you for instance who voted for sure for macri. Stop asking for foreign investments, why do you think they will solve your problems?? We argentines have a lot of money in foreign bank accounts and do not invest in the country.

y te lo digo en español, tomate el buque nena.

If my posts bother you then just ignore them. Period. I was commenting to someone else who had just observed and remarked about the same thing.

There are many things that I love about Argentina. You might be suprised. But, ripping people off is definitely not my style.

I don't kiss and tell but I have done my share in helping people in Argentina.

Foreign investment is very important to any country. Take a look a Brasil.

A right wing person? I don't even know what that means. Labels are useless these days because people make up their own definitions. But, I do have alot of common sense.

You are right. Money is not everything. But, alot of people sure do use this forum for making money.

I am just curious....why don't you believe in investing in Argentina? I do.

I agree with Recoleta Caroliona that keeping up appearances is very stressful for Porteños. It is a widespread practice. People struggle to maintain a standard of living that used to come more easily or pretend to enjoy a standard of living that they do not really have. People here will dress eleganty but often live in shabby little flats that haven't been painted or updated in 30 years. They'll spend a large percentage of their income on a vacation to show off. Maybe this has partly to do with the lack of credit - you can't finance a nice home over thirty years, so you spend your money on little luxuries.

I think it's to do with big cities, as someone said before. I'm in London currently and people seem to be really pissed off all the time in the public transport, when driving etc...

That's why I'm off to Cordoba... Nice people there.

Negativity is part of the Argentinean character. The sort of sad, defeatist attitude that characterizes Tango music... I often hear complaints like "En este país, los tramitas son imposibles! Es así!" Ugh, how I hate that phrase, "es así."' so defeatist. I always ask, COMPARED TO WHAT???

What they don't realize is that problems exist EVERYWHERE. This isn't the only place where dealing with bureaucracy is difficult, where pickpocketing is prevalent, where the government is corrupt. They seem to think they invented all that. It's like a self-deprecating arrogance.

And if you offer suggestions (Maybe if there was a recyling system and people recycled there wouldn't be cartoneros leaving garbage everywhere? Maybe if there were more traffic lights there would be fewer accidents? Maternity leave REALLY should be at least 6 months!!) , they ALWAYS counter with a negative. "NO , pero acá no, porque acá nadie respecta nada.."' They complain about the problems but resist all change. It's quite frustrating.

It's definitely more prevalent in Capital then in the interior, but despite the hospitality and warmth of people in "el campo" , there still is even there that sort of disappointed feeling that they live en un lugar de mierda...

I wouldn't call it anger. I would call it sadness.

Back