Why Are Baexpaters So Negative? The Poll

Why are BAexpaters so Negative?

• Lack of sex

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • The're constipated from eating Fugazzeta every day.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • They started off positive but the Force was too strong and pulled them in the other direction

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • They were born as Trolls

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lack of maple syrup and kale

• No IHOPs or Chick-fil-As in Argentina

• The're not negative, just realistic

• Total voters
I've never understood the negativity on BAExpat, especially from those that live in Buenos Aires. Everyone knows that Porteños are some of the happiest, most positive people on the planet who never even utter a negative word. I'm shocked that this optimistic, can-do attitude has never rubbed off on those grouchy old expats.

I've never understood the negativity on BAExpat, especially from those that live in Buenos Aires. Everyone knows that Porteños are some of the happiest, most positive people on the planet who never even utter a negative word. I'm shocked that this optimistic, can-do attitude has never rubbed off on those grouchy old expats.
Next poll: "Why are BAexpats so sarcastic?" ^_^

Expats the world over are negative, BA isn't special.

I don't know, having lived in a few other countries I'd say the difference with long-term expats other places is that they complain a lot initially and then adapt and are overall happy living there, and would choose the place again if they could. Sure, they'll bitch some, but they don't tend to be so damn bitter. I think a lot of people in BA for the long term adapt but are still not happy here, and spend a lot of time trying to convince themselves that they are, but would not choose BA again if they had to start over. I've done some complaining on the forum, sure, but I also don't intend to live here forever and am doing what I can to leave by the end of the year at the latest. Of course now I'm enjoying BA quite a bit, the most I have since I was a junior in college studying abroad, knowing I don't have to stay. Funny how that works. I think the people who spend half the year here, half the year somewhere else and aren't tied to the Argentine economy have got it made! And of course, they are the ones who always wonder why everyone else bitches so much, ha.

I think Sleslie nailed it:

My most consistent complaint with this country is that its citizens are so blindingly negative about it. We've all run into the inevitable "Y vos? por qué mierda veniste ACÁ???!!!" Then they complain about the corruption, the people, the government, the culture, the education system... actually about anything except for the food (the 1 thing that truly, objectively blows).

Personally, [close your eyes ARBound] I live here and am thrilled to live here because, for me the positives outweigh the negatives. It seems however (especially amongst the monied classes) that the natives have a very hard time seeing the positives, and that attitude rubs off on a lot of expats.

Personally, [close your eyes ARBound] I live here and am thrilled to live here because, for me the positives outweigh the negatives. It seems however (especially amongst the monied classes) that the natives have a very hard time seeing the positives, and that attitude rubs off on a lot of expats.

QFT^2

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
camel Travellers Stories 9
Back