Why are there so much earthquakes lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
cabrera said:
JP you simply are justifying everything with carbon copy answers . We all know who are living in Planet Earth that there is more earthquakes now than before . Why are you trying to deny this as the figures do not lie.

Have you forgetten Haiti and the Tsunami which killed over 700000 people . These events have not happened for hundreds of years and were a product of once every three or four milleniums . Of course you will not have an answer as always.

More wonderful critical thinking, Cabrera.

Of course, I doubt very much you read most of the previous threads in here because you already "know" the answer it seems, according to your comment I quoted.

Never mind that the Haiti earthquake was no worse than the same level earthquake that hit San Francisco in 1989 (where 57 people died). Of course, the fact that so many died in Haiti couldn't have anything to do with the fact that most Haitians live in hovels that collapsed like a house of cards and killed most people right off the bat because of that.

And the fact that so many died in Indonesia had only to do with the fact that a tsunami hit (they're pretty rare that big, but it does happen) and the world was not used to that, had no warning system in place to get people away from coastal regions. It wasn't the actual earthquake but the energy transferred into the water, and the fact that the ground underneath rose quickly and drowned a bunch of people.

How many of these big tsunamis have hit recently, anyway?

BTW - roughly 300,000 in Indonesia due to the tsunami died, and about 230,000 in Haiti due to the earthquake. That adds up to roughly 530,000, which is a bit short of 700,000.

But what do facts matter when trying to make your point?

I've taken my hands off my keyboard for a moment to clap.

If anyone is really believing that all this volcanic activity and earthquake activity is normal they are putting their heads under a pillow. Events are rolling into motion and some people are saying its all normal.

Soon many volcanoes will erupt that have been dormant for thousands of years and it is hotting up earthquake wise in many places as we speak .

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2010/04/06/large-earthquake-hits-iceland-volcano-site/

cabrera said:
... Why are you trying to deny this as the figures do not lie.

Have you forgetten Haiti and the Tsunami which killed over 700000 people .

Which tsunami would that be? The biggest tsunami in history was the Indian Ocean one, back in 2004, which killed 140,000 people.

Sometimes figures do lie - as when they are pulled out of thin air to prove a point.

SaraSara said:
Which tsunami would that be? The biggest tsunami in history was the Indian Ocean one, back in 2004, which killed 140,000 people.

Figures do lie sometimes - for instance, when they are pulled out of thin air to prove a point.

Well actually the biggest tsunami in modern times was this:

July 9, 1958: Regarded as the largest recorded in modern times, the tsunami in Lituya Bay, Alaska was caused by a landslide triggered by an 8.3 magnitude earthquake. Waves reached a height of 1,720 feet (576 meters) in the bay, but because the area is relatively isolated and in a unique geologic setting the tsunami did not cause much damage elsewhere. It sank a single boat, killing two fishermen.

Source: http://www.livescience.com/environment/tsunami_history.html

let's turn this around as the thread is going in circles.

Those who believe there are more large earthquakes than normal...what do you think is causing them? Do you think, as I've read, that it's the US military doing something hush hush...or perhaps 2012 warming up...or what?

Or is it possibly that we are in for a natural disaster, and if so, on what scale? What is the mechanism behind what is causing the increased seismic activity and where will it lead? Can we figure out how long it will last? Has it happened before?

A few educated people have told me that we are experiencing the same type of movements 30 years ago, however today’s movements are much easier to report upon. I tend to find the latest technology in the “Pump” rather than the “pull” pint generates a huge amount of wind which could be exaggerated into an earthquake from the bottom up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back