Why Are Tickets To Argentina Cheaper Than Back?

Dada

Registered
Does anyone have any insight why all the flight tickets from Europe to Argentina (both return and one-way) are cca 50% cheaper than the other way round? Is it some kind of "reciprocity"?

Is there a way around it?

Does anyone have any insight why all the flight tickets from Europe to Argentina (both return and one-way) are cca 50% cheaper than the other way round? Is it some kind of "reciprocity"?

Is there a way around it?
because once they get you here they know you`re more than willing to pay anything to leave!!.

In my opinion is because of calculations. For airline company is the best, to get people from one spot to another and back, preferably in short time. People in opposite direction are messing things up, and when majority pays in pesos, even more.

Second is probably about taxes and home ports, but I don't see, why there would be such difference.

It works that way on a lot of routes.

London-NYC-London is typically £430 (about $660), whereas NYC-London-NYC is normally well over $800. Same company, same flights, completely different price - just on the basis of the origin city. And it's the same no matter what airline it is - the fare levels on AA/British/Delta/Virgin are usually identical.

What's more, but the fare rules are different too. The change penalty when originating in London is £100, just over 150 USD; out of NY it's $275. Why? Because. Then again, advance purchase requirement in UK for the cheapest fares is 7 days or more, these days out of NYC it's zero. 2 years ago it was the other way around. Why? Again - because.

And no, it's not the taxes, which are clearly marked as such; the fares themselves, down to rules, are totally different.

The airlines' fares don't usually have rhyme or reason as far as costs are concerned. It's about what they calculate will better fill their planes and make them more money, based on their understanding of the market and whatnot. Often it simply comes down to what they decide a given market is willing to pay.

And by the way, while prices here are indeed cheaper from Europe, the same is often not true of the US. Flights from here to NYC are often cheaper on AA than vice versa.

It's not just Europe to Argentina, the same is also true of tickets bought from New Zealand and Australia to Argentina. Return flights from NZ (AKL->EZE->AKL) often cost less than one way EZE->AKL and obviously much less than a return flight EZE->AKL->EZE. I don't think there is a way around it, except to always make sure you have a return flight back home, and if you aim to do regular travelling between the two, you make Europe the starting point of your journey.

Back when Aerolineas Argentinas owned the route from Auckland to Sydney to Buenos Aires, I thought that they were making flights to Argentina more attractive to bring tourists and their money, while at the same time discouraging Argentine nationals from taking their money and spending it overseas. It's logical, but it's just a theory I thought up to try and explain the unexplainable.

check the fare details. All tickets from EZE now include a 35% hidden tax. Familiar number, isn't it? We are actually flying from Foz du Iguazu soon for about half price compared to EZE. Added bonus is double luggage allowance. If from BsAs, check montevideo flights, should be about 35% cheaper.

Brazil was always cheaper, I doubt there is any hidden tax (Montevideo prices are for the dates I checked very similar). If you do not live in Buenos Aires it might be good to go to Foz, but otherwise cost is very similar, even if you fly on subsided tickets (loss of one day, taxi to brazil side, accommodation ...). It's an option for people, that want to see cataratas anyway, this way would be the cheapest.

Back