Why are we losing our hair?

thuy.ashtango

Registered
Many expats and long-term tourists have complained to me about losing their hair in Buenos Aires. My hair has definitely thinned since moving here 3 years ago. When I was in the US for a month, I noticed my hair was much thicker and healthier. Is it the water? Any help?

Very interesting! I've realized the same thing happening to me. I don't think it can be the water.. I never drink out of the tap. Have both men and women complained about this to you?

I do eat a lot of meat (chicken and beef) in Buenos Aires. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

I will say that the vast majority of the shampoos, conditioners here have a lot of silicone in them which dries out the hair and leads to breakage. Luckily I have A LOT of hair but it falls out/breaks in vast quantities since I moved here. It's a little frightening actually.

citygirl said:
... the vast majority of the shampoos, conditioners here have a lot of silicone in them which dries out the hair and leads to breakage.

Very interesting information - I did not know that. Pantene shampoo is good - I used it both in the US and here and have not noticed any hair loss.

Hmmm. I have my shampoo and conditioners brought from the US. I wonder if there is a lot of chlorine in the water. I don't drink from the tap. But I do shower with the stuff. Both my male and female friends complain about this. I don't think it's the meat and protein actually promotes hair and nail growth.
I wonder if there is a water filter for the shower....

The water here is very hard(.i.e. high mineral content) and probably is the cause of the hair loss problem the folks are mentioning. Doesn't have anything to do with the water you drink but what comes out of the shower head.

too much copper will cause hair loss. This can come from old copper piping or from hard water...both of which BA suffers from. Copper is also added to animal feed so if you eat a lot of beef/pork, that's three strikes!

in short, BA is NOT a hair friendly city.

Very very few buildings here have copper piping unless you live in a very exclusive building constructed prior to the 1950s. Most older buildings here have.......yes.......lead pipes and yes the ones that the tap water comes out of.

hmm, well my building does have copper pipes and it was built in the 1970s.

hard water is the real culprit though. I think you can get filters that soften the water.

Back