Why are we losing our hair?

I am a new arrival (almost 2 weeks now) and I believe it may just be the air pollution. After a day of exploring the city, I come home with itchy skin. There are at least 5 buses that pass by me at least every 10 minutes as I walk on the sidewalk, spewing out their poisonous gases. Sometimes, I can hardly breath for a few moments. That might be a big factor to the hair loss. Your hair follicles are shutting their doors until the air clears..... sometimes permanently if you are not careful. Maybe a nice wash before bed might help the "follies" breath a little easier for a few hours while you sleep and regenerate.

Just so you know, I dearly love this city and I am not complaining.... just stating a conspiracy theory. :)

kelly of jOeKelly711 :)

My teeth are falling out!!!! quite fast lately could be by the fact that I'm drinking Coca Cola produced with this city water?....anyone knows were I can get imported Coca Cola or Pepsi? brand it's not that important what it's important is the water it contains...thanks in advance.

JoeKelly711 said:
I am a new arrival (almost 2 weeks now) and I believe it may just be the air pollution. After a day of exploring the city, I come home with itchy skin. There are at least 5 buses that pass by me at least every 10 minutes as I walk on the sidewalk, spewing out their poisonous gases. Sometimes, I can hardly breath for a few moments. That might be a big factor to the hair loss...

Yeah, it's not all that great for your skin. Argentines often have terrible skin. They age fast here. All of the cigarette smoke and a diet consisting almost entirely of meat probably contribute to the problem, but I think the air pollution and the hard water are probably the main reasons.

Interesting thread... I have a few suggestions that everyone should pay attention too.

You must take your vitamins in BA. A multi + an added dose of A, C & E (antioxidants)
Do not wash your face everyday. The oil on your skin helps protect it, wash every other day. Sound gross? It's not, it's actually good for you. If you can find Witch Hazel, then you should never ever wash your face, just use witch hazel to clean your face. This applies to BA or anyplace else on the globe.
Do not wash your hair everyday, and when you do... blow dry ASAP, but don't over-dry.
Most important however, drink as much water as possible and take your vitamins here folks. It will save you years of aging each year.

Cheers!

Hey totally agree you shouldn't wash your face or your hair everyday. It's difficult in BA when you take many colectivos and subtes each day as I do - but i splash water on my face, and try to wash my hair every 2nd or 3rd day. But tell me why you should blow-dry quickly? (not doubting you at all) just wanting to know! Thanks

I heard that sedal and other shampoos here have formaldehyde in them - don't know if that could have something to do with it...

Does anyone have any experience buying a product here in BA to prevent hair loss and stimulate growth? Any recommendations?

I haven't noticed my hair being that bad looking, but since its winter i'm not washing it much, and i use a super intense kiehls conditioner. I have noticed that my fingernails are falling apart, and I think its from a severe lack of vitamins with the meat/cheese/white pasta/white bread heavy diet. I'm going to try taking supplements and eating more veggies - i'll get back to people :)

Wow, and all this time I've been thinking that I was going nuts and that's why my hair had changed so much since moving to ARG. And my skin, and my nails.
I live in Provincia and there is pollution here but never as much as in Capital. So basically what has changed (a lot) since moving here is my diet (lots of red meat, white pasta/bread, pizza, cheese, etc.) and I think that's probably the main reason. I will definitely start taking vitamin supplements, any recommendation will be greatly appreciated since I don't know the brand names in Argentina. :confused:

Marisolsita said:
Wow, and all this time I've been thinking that I was going nuts and that's why my hair had changed so much since moving to ARG. And my skin, and my nails.
I live in Provincia and there is pollution here but never as much as in Capital. So basically what has changed (a lot) since moving here is my diet (lots of red meat, white pasta/bread, pizza, cheese, etc.) and I think that's probably the main reason. I will definitely start taking vitamin supplements, any recommendation will be greatly appreciated since I don't know the brand names in Argentina. :confused:

Hey! Start with a basic calcium/vitamin D for the hair and nails. I paid about 15 pesos at farmacity for some from naturafarma that seem ok. They didn't have as good a selection as in the states, and they were def. more expensive, but I'm going to keep my eyes out for a normal women's multivitamin next time i have more time to look around. Also, I'm going to definitely try to eat a LOT more veggies and water, because i just feel icky. one thing i've been doing that helps is buying bags of frozen spinach, and throwing a few clumps into my pasta sauce at dinner and eggs in the morning. maybe it will help too? I wish i could find like, green odwalla juice or something else like that here.... wishful thinking :(

Back