Why Argentina over other countries?

Mira Vos!

Registered
Curious to why you all chose Argentina over countries. I understand some may have a significant other from there, but for everyone else why Argentina over other countries that are either the same price or cheaper? (Colombia, Mexico, SE Asia etc)

I chose Argentina because it is a relatively easy place to live as an expat. Good healthcare, LGBTQ friendly, and a vibrant/friendly population. Like anywhere, personal economics makes a huge impact. I considered Colombia as well, but ultimately decided Argentina would be an easier cultural adjustment.

Curious to why you all chose Argentina over countries. I understand some may have a significant other from there, but for everyone else why Argentina over other countries that are either the same price or cheaper? (Colombia, Mexico, SE Asia etc)

Argentina is more attractive when you don't live here fulltime, don't earn in pesos, or can travel to the 'first world' frequently.

Plenty of expats would like to get out but can't for family or economic reasons. This forum was alot busier a few years ago during the 'Decada Ganada'. (aka the Commodity Boom).

Last edited:
You'd be hard pressed to find anywhere with a higher quality of life and more exciting cultural offerings on less than $2k/mo. Buenos Aires beats on Colombia, Mexico, and SE Asia in it's European-ness, imo. Mexico is still pretty deeply culturally conservative. Southeast Asia is, well, East Asia. It's cheap, but the cultural differences are vast. I don't particularly enjoy hanging out with the "digital nomad" tech bros that populate the region either. I haven't been to Colombia so I can't comment.

From the outside looking in (haven't been yet) here is why Argentina fascinates me more than other countries:

1. Architecture/Landscape of the city (BsAs)
2. The food (outside of maybe Mexican food this is my favorite cuisine, plenty of good places in Florida)
3. Soccer/Futbol
4. Nightlife, very active city
5. Cultural similarities (and language)
6. Obviously easier to travel to when prices are cheaper like now compared to some other years in the past
7. European roots- my GF has family from Italy and it's really cool to see how similar the importance of family/friends is in Buenos Aires. I feel like we lack that togetherness in places like the US and UK

Argentina is more attractive when you don't live here fulltime, don't earn in pesos, or can travel to the 'first world' frequently.

Plenty of expats would like to get out but can't for family or economic reasons. This forum was alot busier a few years ago during the 'Decada Ganada'. (aka the Commodity Boom).
Many expats come and go according to the exchange rate. They flocked in when it was dirt cheap, and bailed out when it wasn't dirt cheap any longer.

Nailed it. Living here and combined with, what is called "trifecta" living, is the way to go.

Yup, this - Argentina is only attractive when/if you are able to jump on a plane and leave tomorrow. I would add "when the peso is cheap" to the list. I now spend 4-5 months a year over there, but didn't even bother to go much in 2016-2018 when it was more expensive than Europe. Didn't feel like paying €25 for a milanesa and minced carrots.

Back