Why do you live in Argentina?

I agree with VMSmith on the nationwide lack of catalytic converters. Just doing my laundry this morning, the fumes were coming in the open door, i was choking. one water delivery truck which should never be allowed on the roads, had fumes that could almost kill.
i also like the artificially flavored yogurt, the beef fat cookies, the toothpaste and shampoo with Formaldehyde, the lame cheap quality bread, the broken sidewalks, the lack of change, the abundance of fake money, the corruption at the lowest level (even a reasonably honest person is hard to find here), and i just adore the lack of mufflers. BOOM, scream bang.
I stay because of my kids, everone knows that. otherwise i would have been out of this cesspool a long time ago. mean people, dirty and polluted cities and towns.

"JG" said:
I agree with VMSmith on the nationwide lack of catalytic converters. Just doing my laundry this morning, the fumes were coming in the open door, i was choking. one water delivery truck which should never be allowed on the roads, had fumes that could almost kill.
i also like the artificially flavored yogurt, the beef fat cookies, the broken sidewalks, the corruption at the lowest level (even a reasonably honest person is hard to find here), and i just adore the lack of mufflers. BOOM, scream bang.
I stay because of my kids, everone knows that. otherwise i would have been out of this cesspool a long time ago. mean people, dirty and polluted cities and towns.
JG.... You stay because of your kids? Are your children prisoners here? If you really despise this place, you could transplant them to a society in which you approve. Or perhaps the 'mean people', 'dirty and polluted city and towns' in this place you call a 'cesspool' provide the kind of environment you prefer they live and/or grow up in.For others who complain, they say they stay for matters of the heart. Well, for better or worse, we chose to live here and nobody is holding us hostage. I say stop bitching and do something constructive about it...
Otherwise, we are no different than the people we seem to complain about...The expat/immigrant society is quite large and IF you are a legal resident, you can officially influence positive change by becoming an activist instead of a backbiter.

Because there is always something nice, weird, stupid going on
Other then that pretty safe and high standard of living if you earn enough

In my case, the question would be "why did you want to live in Argentina?, as I'm now in Canada enjoying summer. Last "winter" (in Argentina) I went to Brazil. I'm now an ex-expat although, technically, I'm an ex-illegal alien. Never got deported now that think about it. :(
With Argentina (specifically BsAs), I was looking for a change. Climate, culture, economics, location etc... I did research for over a year and decided that it was a good move to make. I also wanted to include a overland trip through Latin America so I could experience new digestive problems and money trading methods. It was a complete success. I got sick and passed many types of currency. Not at the same time of course, except at a restaurant in northern Peru. Don't order the shellfish.
The trip was harsh and so was living in Argentina. The "negative" comments you may read in these forums are sometimes simply "bad airs" but, at times, also a chorus of the experienced. I could list off a dozen things about the place that have never really been discussed here. The elevators... oh man, what year is this again? 1950?
There is a heavy dose of reality mixed in with the comments. Has anyone mentioned that you can only do your banking through ATM's and sometimes can only withdraw 300 pesos? Tourist visas are useless to renew and you should get a job and apply for residency from your home country before you enter Argentina. Did I mention that the people are a bit arrogant?
All joking aside, I had a list of things I was looking for and I'm happy to say I found (and did) almost all of them. From Asados and spanish lessons to travel through the country. At the end of it all I decided I didn't like the place that much, so I left. Which brings me to phase two of the experience.
Life in Canada is wonderful. This is something that I hoped for and it's happened. Living in Argentina has made me appreciate my life.

It takes a rather special kind of person to stay long term in Argentina. You have to have a lot of endurance, paience and tolerance. The difference between this country and most others in Latin America is that in BA there is just enough to keep you here: a reasonable infrastructure, culture etc. to lure a first worlder to stay. Most other countries of Latin America are too primitive (unless you have a high powered job that pays a lot and you can live with the small minority of priviliged people). Someone (acually an Argentine) once described BA as a kind of spider's web. It has enough appeal to lure you but it is dangerous. After the intital fascination, however, Argentina can wear thin on many expats and the advantages stop looking like such great advantages.

Buenos Aires is like an extra-marital affair with a sexy seductress. You know it's going to end in tears but you just can't help yourself.

quore realba:
"Buenos Aires is like an extra-marital affair with a sexy seductress. You know it's going to end in tears but you just can't help yourself."
I dont think any of us could have put it better! Perfect.

=1635#bb-top]
=7538]

Bill/RealBA, Argentina will not miss you either. Thanks for leaving.
Sergio/Auntieapple, I reserved plane tickets for both of you.
Tatan

Thank you Tatan. I have booked you on a flight to Port Stanley.

Back