Why do you live in Argentina?

Quote jicassochica:
"just for the record....my computer was hijacked by Tatan, so pls strike those comments from the record, for they were not my words."
PLEASE ELABORATE jicassochica,
I do hope you dont mean what I understand, that Tatan was posing as you.
Do you live together?
Plus nobody said tatan was not a "sweetie pants" (interesting!)

ohhhhhhhh no, he is just my landlord that sneaks into my apt at night to freeload internet. wink.

wow, all I see is violence as a result of an initial complaint about violence. No difference at all.

No Galalita,

you are on the wrong thread this one is about why one lives in Argentina

"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
Auntie-
Although written a bit harshly, as usual you are right.
Tatan is a first class Argentine b****h who only logs on here to complain about foreigners. I would love to meet you. I bet you are a real piece of work.
Insulting me, that is really intelligent. If you are talking to me, sorry to dissapoint you, I like the rest of the Argentines do no meet your high standards. I like soccer, like asado, I am not gay, I am not into womens' fashion, nor am I interested in haidressing which is obviously very important to you. We dont have anything in common.
Elpanada- Fortunately you dissapeared for awhile and I thought we were rid of you and your comments. Well, you'rrrrreeee bbbbaaaackkk!
I guess and Tatan will surely agree, I am one of the first world snobs here too then.
Well, yes. I agree.
Thing about it is....you can be in a completely good mood, "trying" to be positive, etc., and low and behold on my way somewhere, I was almost ran down like an animal three times crossing the street by obnoxious idiots who just had to get to that red light without ever acknowledging that they almost hit me.
Argentines don't make mistakes, remember? Then smelling something odd, noticed that I hadn't dodged all of the dog*bleep* on the street and it was pleasantly surprised to find some on my shoe. Yeah...great place alright. Every block on the street is just another series of the same crappy women's clothing stores, paint stores, hairdressers and a kiosko thrown in. Well the clothes are garbage, the paint is useless compared to "First World" paint and have you ever seen an Argentine (man or woman) with a decent haircut not to mention a decent dye job..I wonder if there will ever be a shortage of that horrible bleach they use to dye their hair that awful fake white/blonde with brown roots?

Has anyone else also noticed that while the prices keep getting higher and higher at the supermarkets, the packaging and contents keep getting smaller and smaller? Like no one is going to notice...
Lastly, just to make the natives happy, whenever they ask you where you are from, simply reply, "Soy un Porteno!" They love that kind of stupid stuff....
Disfrutar Todos

donquixote,
Imagine every reason you've had for wanting to come to Argentina and I'm sure one of us has had it before. Most expats I've met came because they wanted to switch gears. The problem comes when the switch is into reverse and the brakes don't work.
Argentina is a difficult place to live if you're at a disadvantage, such as being poor or outside the system. There are barriers (such as DNI or banking) that are difficult to overcome unless you're patient or smart. Argentina is still a good choice as a place to live if this really is a dream location for you. Just try to keep in mind that Buenos Aires isn't all of Argentina.
I've read previous posts you've written and it sounds like you're coming to Argentina but you're still in the U.S.A.? If so, you're in a good position because the process is different if you're working from outside the country. This is IF you plan on staying on a long-term basis.
Research the residency application and who qualifies. If you're going to STAY, then apply for residency now, from the U.S. Spend a little bit of money on an immigration lawyer either in the U.S. or in Argentina. Doing a police background check may be necessary for example. Try to set up a bank account at a bank here before you come. Money is your lifeblood here, just like anywhere in the world.
If you want to work in BsAs, then apply for a job online and get a job BEFORE you come. There are many jobs in telephone phone support companies for example, that only hire english speaking people. It's difficult for you to be hired IF you're already in Argentina and don't have a DNI, since you're competition for locals. Hired from your home country, you become specialized help. The bad news is, the pay is not good.
Buenos Aires as a city is wonderful in the spring. You'll enjoy your time there.
p.s. everything you've read is true except maybe the Nietzche. I think that's specific to this forum.

Because I like it!
I think it may be useful, when posting on this forum to state whether your passing through/a tourist/don't live here or are a permanent resident.
I am a permanent legal resident and came here for love. I've written a book about that. So, since I came for love, I believe I have to accept where I am now.
I previously lived in Spain, but I much prefer it here. Maybe laissez faire would be a good word to describe how I feel about this country. I went through hell and back to get here, but it was worth it.
I find Argentine people very charming and well mannered. Maybe I've been lucky. It's not all doom and gloom you know!

"Marc" said:
Because I like it!
I think it may be useful, when posting on this forum to state whether your passing through/a tourist/don't live here or are a permanent resident.
I am a permanent legal resident and came here for love. I've written a book about that. So, since I came for love, I believe I have to accept where I am now.
I previously lived in Spain, but I much prefer it here. Maybe laissez faire would be a good word to describe how I feel about this country. I went through hell and back to get here, but it was worth it.
I find Argentine people very charming and well mannered. Maybe I've been lucky. It's not all doom and gloom you know!
Where you live people are also better mannered and charming then in most othere places

In no particualr order; great people, amazingly diverse country, open to Americans (a lot of countries are not), exchange rate, the wine, the beef, the time people take to hang out (can be a negative if you want to get things done), the Andes, the ability to own property as a foreigner, the kiss on the cheek versus the cold handshake, drinking mate and eating empanadas, how passionate the people are about anything. That's just off the top of my head.

Because I was born here. I lived in the States for 5 years and I totally love it. When I first moved there my mind compared everything and that's a given. But guys, you're here now and nothing good can happen to you or the people around you if you just sit in your computer blaming the system, the corruption, the Government, the TV, the food, etc. Leave your house, volunteer, help to combat the poverty or whatever helps you to stop thinking you are the center of the Universe, cause none of us is. And most of all don't wait for others like the Government, the TV, the rest of the Universe to take the responsibility that you could be taking yourself.
It's so much more fun and valuable for you and us.

Back