Why don't Portenos know the words "I'm sorry"

This problem is not peculiar to portenos. It happens in our own country all the time. It really boils down to the fact that some people have class & manners & some do not. Unfortunately, we all have to associate with class-less boors from time to time & we just have to deal with them as best we can & move on.

The problem with people here is that they have no sense of personal responsibility and they are taught by their society to be very selfish. To understand a society you must look at their heroes. Their stars are some of the most egotistical people on the planet . Look at Trout mouth Susanna Giminez and 80 year old Mirtha Legrand who needs to keep expressing her sexuality like a young schoolgirl. Its pathetic actually.
Argentinines beleive they are the worlds most beautiful but for us who have travelled the women of Eastern Europe are far more beautiful , I notice many women here look very stressed from too much coffee and cigarettes. The men look more relaxed maybe because they dont do a damn thing . The women run the show in Argentina

"donquixote" said:
I read some of the most outlandish statments by people who judge the behavior of a culture through their narrow imperical observation. History and Geography manifest itself in the culture of a people. ( A couse in Culture Anthropology whould enlighten those critics if they had the intellegence). An excellent book that touches on the subject of cultural development is (Guns Germs and Steel) by Jared Diamond. a review http://www.lrainc.com/swtaboo/stalkers/jpr_ggs.html
DQ
Mr. Anthropologist, your ridiculous statements make it evident that this job doesn't suit you.
Showing up late or not showing up at all without even apologizing is irresponsible behavior. It is clearly a lack of consideration for others, and shows that the argentines who do it think only of themselves. That, my friend, is called selfishness. There's NO historic or geographic justification for it!! If you were really intelligent you wouldn't make such a stupid claim.

Mr. Consientious.AKA Markus
Let us assume that you were born and raised in Zimbabwe, Switzerland or say Argentina. Would you be the same polite, conciderate virtuous person that you believe you are? " No I'm not Czech I'm German". The polite German people were not so polite to the Czech. Does Prague mean anything to you?
DQ

Here we go again.Slagging off Argentines.Maybe I'm living on another planet, but I have yet to meet a rude Argentine, except maybe the odd taxi driver.In my experience, Argeintine people are the most polite I have ever come across. Sweeping statement I know, but true from my perspective.Argentines are different and wear their hearts on their sleeves.Live with it.

I had a taxi driver npt show up at the airport because he said the hour was not good for him, it was not the best for me either, wandering around with my baggage. He was and still is a complete as.....e, This incident does not, nor should it colour my view of the Argentine people, who in general I have always found more than courtious. The driver by the way leaves fliers at milongas and if anyone wants his name just ask.

Marc.
In my travels throught the universe no extraterrestrial has ever come close to running over me.
DQ

Ariel, when you have a moment can you log on again and clarify if what instigated your original post was a person experience. Let us give the original person who posted this clarify if he was spitting, I mean, speaking, from experience. I think he is entitled to his own opinions on this matter. If he thinks the portenos do not know the word I am sorry - that that is his right to state so - true or untrue. Thing is if he experienced something "bad" he has the right to vent. Right? Thnks.

"Ariel" said:
Has anyone noticed how seldom you hear these words in BA? People seem very reluctant to admit that they ever make mistakes. I find this very frustrating. Why is this?
Maybe porteñso do not know the words "I´m sorry" cos they are 1-they are porteños, 2-spanish is their mother tongue and official language, 3-the idea of eprsonal space here is very different from US and European customs 4-maybe your translation into spanish for "I´m sorry" is inaccurate

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I am under the impression that ARIEL was referring NOT to the actual words to "I am sorry" in castellano (being said) but the ACT OF APOLOGIZING and mustering the self depricating humility inducing act of accepting one's natural quality of imperfection or inaptitude in various situations. I mean no one of Argentinian descent think that they are perfect, so in moments where one acts humanly imperfect, apologizing is the RIGHT THING TO DO. Ariel?

Back