Why I'm An Anti-Anti-Zionist

Matt84

Registered
I’m not a Zionist—rather I’m a quintessential Diaspora Jew, a child of Freud, Marx and Spinoza. I hold with rootless cosmopolitanism: from my perspective the nation-state is a profoundly problematic institution, a nation-state defined by ethnic or other particularist criteria all the more so. And yet I count myself an anti-anti-Zionist. This is partly because the logic of anti-Zionism in the present political context entails an unprecedented demand for an existing state—one, moreover, with popular legitimacy and a democratically elected government—not simply to change its policies but to disappear.
- Ellen Willis

Read full Article

Anyone want to form a pool to predict how long before this thread gets deleted? Winner gets a case of peanut butter.

17255_640.jpg

end-well-6.jpg

So Anti Zionism is willing to make Israel disappear while Israel is and had been (unstoppably since its creation!!) open for living together in a friendly environment with its neighbours.

Interesting...

So Anti Zionism is willing to make Israel disappear while Israel is and had been (unstoppably since its creation!!) open for living together in a friendly environment with its neighbours.

Interesting...

Did you get that point of view from the article?

I enjoyed what she had to say, and found it very well presented. I didn't see anything like what you mentioned in the article. I read that she considered the whole situation quite complex, with just about everyone, including Israel, in the wrong and about the only way to make a step forward was for Israel and the Palestinians to back away from the way they are currently handling things.

Edit: She did say that she didn't believe Israel should go away, and I have to agree with her.

Interesting...

For better or worse, Israel has the region's only legitimate representative democracy (I might include Turkey as well, but nobody else is even close).

The international community to put some limits to Israel, like stop bombing or attacking their neighbours -and not only of Palestine but of several wars planned by Israel?

edit: you were referring to democracy? Maybe the same political force that make that democracy viable is the same that impedes the same democracy to other countries in the region.

The international community to put some limits to Israel, like stop bombing or attacking their neighbours -and not only of Palestine but of several wars planned by Israel?

edit: you were referring to democracy? Maybe the same political force that make that democracy viable is the same that impedes the same democracy to other countries in the region.

So, Israel has prevented Saudi Arabia from becoming a democracy?

Back