Why is everybody complaining?

I'm always unsure if people would recommend (expensive) private medical insurance or not: I live a healthy/very healthy lifestyle and have no chronic health issues so have never used local medics except for dentistry, but is the free medical service adequate? I don't mind waiting say a couple of hours in hospital queue but as local people seem to accept waiting an hour even in a bank for basic service I wonder if this would be a severe underestimate? People say the doctors here are very well trained and professional (ie no bribes required!). Any advice? ps not sure if extranjeros qualify for full medical care?
I don't have private health here, although my wife and kids do. My experience is the doctors are mostly excellent (The same doctors usually work in both private and free systems). Public hospitals can be very poor and frankly dirty, which I think is the biggest difference. Then there is the waiting, which like you I don't mind waiting a few hours, but it can be longer than that, especially if you want a specific procedure. Of course, there are also perks most know come with private, like reduced cost on perscriptions.

I don't have private health here, although my wife and kids do. My experience is the doctors are mostly excellent (The same doctors usually work in both private and free systems). Public hospitals can be very poor and frankly dirty, which I think is the biggest difference. Then there is the waiting, which like you I don't mind waiting a few hours, but it can be longer than that, especially if you want a specific procedure. Of course, there are also perks most know come with private, like reduced cost on perscriptions.
Thanks. That's helpful. Always surprised that free medical care is available with so few conditions (cf USA and most of Europe) for outsiders: maybe a positive legacy of the Peron welfare system?

Just don’t get something like colon cancer in Argentina and expect the public healthcare to save you. They killed my mother-in-law.

Just don’t get something like colon cancer in Argentina and expect the public healthcare to save you. They killed my mother-in-law.
Thanks,
A little research showed colorectal cancer third biggest cancer killer for men and women but main risk factor is tobacco here:
"Tobacco is the most important cancer risk factor for Argentinians, accounting for 26 percent of all cancer deaths and 84 percent of lung cancer deaths. Argentina has a national smoking rate of 22 percent, with an especially high rate (38 percent) in Buenos Aires.3,4 Trends for the future are also alarming, with 28 percent of children aged 13-15 years now smoking.3,5 Despite recent anti-tobacco laws,6,7 tobacco-related cancers are expected to rise and continue to be a major public health issue for years to come." Worrying.

Are we allowed to complain about the power outage this morning? Feels like Florida in the summer.

I often read BAExpats and I love the community so I decided to sign up. But I see posts with lots of complaints like this and wonder why you don't just go back to your country? Please don't use the USA as an example, because we have massive amounts of corruption. It's just not as public and we're too dumb to ask questions.

It's really depressing to see who I assume are Americans, Australians, Western Europeans, and Citizens of the United Kingdom complaining about daily life in a country in which they chose to live. It's embarrassing and I feel ashamed to identify myself as an American. You realize that the IMF exploits Latin American, right? They're not a charity. You can blame American capitalism for a lot of the instability in Latin American, including Bolivia right now (climate change and lithium) and, in my opinion, Argentina.

Every good thing has a dark side and every bad thing contains the seeds of good. Sure, there is corruption. But that also means it's a bit easier to start a small business because if you get three no's, you'll also get two yesses. People don't lose their job for breaking rules here. If you've never benefitted from that your entire life, please feel free to make specific, quantified complaints so that I can still point out why your country is basically the same and people suck everywhere.

I'm not saying the corruption isn't horrible. What I am saying is you are heavily skewed to one side of the equation, blinded by your money, and unable to think in a mature way about a very complex, very nuanced issue that requires a more nimble mindset. I mean this respectfully. Please become more open-minded.
Oh please! Complaining is good. Complaints lead to action and action leads to change. How about this: I complain about your pontificating post and you go home?

I just checked and yeah, you're right. Admittedly I signed my contract last November before everything went to shit again. Luckily I own a house here that I get rent from that is about 40% more than what I pay for my own rent. I also live outside the central barrios in Capital, which helps in rental prices. Is Neuquen particulalry expensive compared to other places in Argentina?
neuquen rents are ridiculous, yes.

when i lived here my company was paying almost 3k usd a month for a 1bdrm tiny apartment.

Are we allowed to complain about the power outage this morning? Feels like Florida in the summer.
power outages are a way of life here. I am from Arizona, I don't complain about heat until it is at least 105 F- 40 C. And it is not a dry heat, because Arizona has monsoons in the summer.

No one else´s fault you chose not to pay $300 hydro monthly bill.
You chose to pay a meager $30 here.
That said, it is not uncommon for the $300 hydro to regularly be knocked down during storms, or fires, or ....

I´ll be outa here in a heartbeat if it was a reason for complaint.

Last edited:
Back