Why no canned meat?

Redpossum

Registered
Given the enormous volume of top-quality meat produced by Argentina, I have long wondered why there is so little canned meat available.
Once back in 2014, I saw a few cans of corned beef in a market in Las Cañitas, but other than that it's just the usual fish and that horrid paste in tiny cans which they mis-label as "pate".

It would be very nice if corned beef and canned ham were available. They're great to have on hand for when one gets caught short over an unexpected holiday or 4-day weekend. It's not as though Argentina has any lack of canning facilities.

I wonder if it has something to do with that big outbreak of hoof and mouth in the 80's and 90's?

Given the enormous volume of top-quality meat produced by Argentina, I have long wondered why there is so little canned meat available.
Once back in 2014, I saw a few cans of corned beef in a market in Las Cañitas, but other than that it's just the usual fish and that horrid paste in tiny cans which they mis-label as "pate".

It would be very nice if corned beef and canned ham were available. They're great to have on hand for when one gets caught short over an unexpected holiday or 4-day weekend. It's not as though Argentina has any lack of canning facilities.

I wonder if it has something to do with that big outbreak of hoof and mouth in the 80's and 90's?
I just imagined the reaction of my Argentinian family when i would get out some canned meat out of the kitchen cupboard..... Thats probably worse than making fire in the parrilla with Nafta or claiming the Falklands are British ....
Seriously, why not put the meat in the freezer?

I also remember the tinned corned beef on the shelf of La Anonima and telling the missus it was regularly used as the filling in sandwiches for many Glasow workers packed lunch....never forget the horrified look on her face!!

well, there is certainly no shortage or lack of use of canned tuna. whoever decided that was OK to put in an empanada is not OK in the head!

Canned salmon is usually caught wild - not farmed. No canned salmon in Argentina :( ...

well, there is certainly no shortage or lack of use of canned tuna. whoever decided that was OK to put in an empanada is not OK in the head!

My mother used to make a tuna casserole that was surprisingly good. And it's not bad made into fish cakes with some potato and onion, and fried up. I don't know where you'd get Bay Seasoning here in the southern cone, though.

Canned salmon is usually caught wild - not farmed. No canned salmon in Argentina :( ...

I've seen Robinson Crusoe brand canned salmon here a few times. From Chile and farmed of course.

The wild canned salmon from Alaska I've never seen here, imagine it won't arrive any time soon either. It's pricey even in the US.

Back