Why no canned meat?

I temember back in the 80s and 90s supermarkets would sell canned meat. It was called " Viandada " by Swift. It simply disappeared, not sure if it was ever popular or not though.

Thank you all for your responses. It would appear that the answer to my question is, "because Argentinos regard canned meat as an abomination".

There's no point in producing a product if the local consumers won't buy it.

Let's not Forget Bovril an OXXO the meat juice concentrate... Was great produced in Arg? and Uruguay... Not available any more?

There was an article in Lanacion I think it was about the Argentine town of Bovril.

very common to have a drink of hot bovril at the football match on a cold day.

The wife couldn’t quite believe it but ultimately enjoyed it I think!

There was an article in Lanacion I think it was about the Argentine town of Bovril.

very common to have a drink of hot bovril at the football match on a cold day.

The wife couldn’t quite believe it but ultimately enjoyed it I think!

Well there is a City of Bovril, where the product was made

"At the end of the 19th century, the first saladero and meat extract factory of the company “Kemmerich y Giebert”, based in Antwerp, Belgium, was installed in the then small town of Santa Elena, in the north of Entre Ríos, which introduces the latest technical advances in international industry. These advances are due to two German pioneers of the meat industry: chemist Justus Von Liebig (one of the most prominent scientists of the 19th century) and his colleague, engineer Georg Christian Giebert. Baron Von Liebig created a new product: the “meat extract”, while Giebert was in charge of the practical details of its elaboration."

Let's not Forget Bovril an OXXO the meat juice concentrate... Was great produced in Arg? and Uruguay... Not available any more?
You can still get beef concentrate, it was more popular ages ago when I was younger, google " extracto de carne " the brand name is Safra.

Back