Why No Window Screens?

We had screens installed in every window and door to the outside 2 years ago. Life is way better with screens. One BIG problem is that people are not used to screen doors, so a few people walked through the door to the balcony. That screen door is a bit funky and is on the top of the list to be replaced next spring. We own our apartment, live in it and don't rent it out, so don't mind putting money into it to make our lives more comfortable.
Nancy

Guys they sell window screens at easy, they're not that expensive and come standard in a lot of apartments. Just go buy some.

They wouldn't fit the windows in my apartment. Not only are they odd-sized, but there is no framework for putting screens in. I could have custom-made screens perhaps, with the infrastructure to put them in, but I'm not going to do that for something I don't own.

I have two cans of Off sitting on the right side of my desk...

As cooler weather approaches, tiny creatures want to move indoors. Solution: close the windows.

I solved my mosquito problem by replacing the old folding windows from the 1960s with sliding ones that accommodate a screen.

I have a better solution - eat raw garlic! It's the absolute BEST mosquito repellant you can find. I've always been a huge consumer of garlic, and when I used to go camping, especially the first morning, my buddies would be covered with huge red welts on their skin everyone itching and scratching like dogs with fleas and my skin nice and clear - no bites ever. There are many ways to repel bugs naturally without any VERY harmful chemicals or screens needed. Check these tips out, I've used many of them and THEY WORK!!
http://www.almanac.com/content/how-deter-mosquitoes-and-other-bugs

Doesn't look pretty, but its very effective, cheap and w/o chemicals: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cheap-and-Effective-Mosquito-Trap
The basic idea is to "feed" the yeast with sugar, which leads to the production of CO2 - mosquitos sense higher CO2 concentrations in the air and think they found a nice dinner, but end up trapped in the bottle.

I have a better solution - eat raw garlic! It's the absolute BEST mosquito repellant you can find. I've always been a huge consumer of garlic, and when I used to go camping, especially the first morning, my buddies would be covered with huge red welts on their skin everyone itching and scratching like dogs with fleas and my skin nice and clear - no bites ever. There are many ways to repel bugs naturally without any VERY harmful chemicals or screens needed. Check these tips out, I've used many of them and THEY WORK!!
http://www.almanac.c...-and-other-bugs
lots of garlic is also a good people repellant

lots of garlic is also a good people repellant

I've heard some mild complaints about the garlic smell but they've usually been from people I didn't care for too much anyway, so there! LOL....The best was once I was boarding a flight from New York to Ft.Lauderdale, how I used to dread that route, 75% of the flight were those blond bee-hive, Gucci sunglass wearing, face lifted incessantly complaining grandmas from Long Island "snowbird" types, anyway I overheard the following conversation in the seats in front of me "Irving, were you eating garlic again?", "No Shirley, I didn't have any garlic", "Irv, stop lying to me, you've been lying to me for 30 years, enough!, my father warned me about you when we met", "Shirl, leave it alone! My mother told me to be careful about you when we met, I should have listened". "Irv, go brush your teeth! (Shirley takes out a toothbrush and paste from her purse, Irv takes it and gets up) "Irv, you stepped on my toe, you did that on purpose! "Shirl, be quiet you are bothering everyone, shattap" (Irv goes to the bathroom, comes back about 10 minutes later, they don't speak for about 10 minutes, then.........) "Irv, you're still stinky", "Shirl, shattap or I am going to have you sent to the cargo hold" (Shirley puts cotton in her nostrils and doesn't say much for the rest of the flight). I was laughing sooooo hard!!

We had screens installed in every window and door to the outside 2 years ago. Life is way better with screens. One BIG problem is that people are not used to screen doors, so a few people walked through the door to the balcony. That screen door is a bit funky and is on the top of the list to be replaced next spring. We own our apartment, live in it and don't rent it out, so don't mind putting money into it to make our lives more comfortable.
Nancy
I'm so not surprised... can't stop laughing. THX! :lol:

For those who rent, it's worth a shot to ask the owner about installing a screen. I actually had good luck with this once. When I lived in San Telmo in a really old building with only planta baja units, I had one of those slatted windows way up high near the ceiling in my bedroom that I could open and close by pulling a string on a pulley. The window looked out onto this little upstairs patio we had, but it was at the floor level of the patio. Even when the window was closed, there was enough room between the slats for bugs to come in. After I witnessed a cockroach fall through the slats one night, I called the owner and between the roach and the severe mosquito problem we'd been having even though it was winter, he agreed to put in a screen and it was done in two days.

That took care of the roaches and other bugs, but not the mosquitos. At any given point, I could look around and see five or more mosquitos flying around my bedroom. I couldn't figure out where they were coming from, and a lot of them appeared to be newly hatched. I finally came to the conclusion that there must be warm standing water under the pasta shop right next door, perhaps due to a leak near the heat given off by all their equipment, and the newly hatched mosquitos were somehow coming through the pipes in our bathroom to avoid the cold outside, since there were often mosquitos in the bathroom as well. Those suckers were hungry, too. My boyfriend and I would kill as many as we could before going to sleep, but we'd get eaten alive anyway. We called our nightly killing spree la guerra, because inevitably we'd wind up with blood all over the walls. The owner had our pipes checked just in case and they weren't leaking, so I tried all sorts of things, like spraying bug spray down the bathroom and kitchen drains right before everyone went to sleep, but nothing helped. Apparently, other people in the building had the same problem, but no one wanted to confront the pasta shop. I was living there month-to-month, so I moved out. Couldn't take it anymore.

My point is, if anyone happens to find themselves with a severe mosquito problem this winter, not just the odd few survivors flying through a window every now and then, try to figure out where there could be warmth and standing water near your unit and see if you can do anything to get rid of that water.

Back