Why Things Cost What They Cost In Argentina

I am not disputing the importance of the Marshall plan or the recovery it brought to Europe after world war II. I think that is pretty self evident. I am simply pointing out that the US had a tremendous economic advantage at the time and that is why its middle class grew so rapidly and was so much better off than anywhere else.
Already agreed to your point that Americans were better off in the those years. What I tried to point out is that during those years - while the US could have just used that advantage for themselves they actually shared a significant portion of that wealth with (Western) Europe - that was mostly reduced to nothing (in terms of production, economy, finances etc. after WWII).

Already agreed to your point that Americans were better off in the those years. What I tried to point out is that during those years - while the US could have just used that advantage for themselves they actually shared a significant portion of that wealth with (Western) Europe - that was mostly reduced to nothing (in terms of production, economy, finances etc. after WWII).

Well, remember that there was this thing called the "Cold War" taking place at the time and it was the in the US interest to rebuild the economies that were most exposed to Soviet influence. They did not do it out of the "goodness of their hearts". The Marshall Plan must be viewed within the context of the cold war and with the ultimate goal of containing the influence of the Soviet union.

Never said that they did it out of goodness. That was not the point.

Back